Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Making ESS 1978 Maestro 2E (rev 10) output sound? Possible?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KasperGirome
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Making ESS 1978 Maestro 2E (rev 10) output sound? Possible? Reply with quote

Hey y'all.

I've been spending the past two hours google'ing trying to find info about how to make the sound on my laptop work with ALSA. I have taken a look at ALSAs homepage, and my card is not a part of the new XML-list of cards (although the Maestro 2E-thingie is mentioned in the es1968-category).

Have any of you had any luck making ESS 1978 Maestro 2E (rev 10) output some sound using ALSA or just something that will make it work? I have tried following the guide on http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml, using es1968 as the driver, but that did not work.
Any suggestions?

Yours truly,
Kasper
KasperGirome
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I am not using OSS at all. Is this a problem?
nick-brown
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: ESS 1978 Maestro 2E Reply with quote

I've been having a similar problem recently - did you ever get this to work/receive any help.

I'm happy to furnish more info if anyone is interested.

N
gunmanX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem. I am a total N00B, but I got this working. I have the 2.6.10-gentoo-r6 kernel loaded on my dell lattitude laptop that has a Maestro 2 sound card. I think the problem is that the kernel driver for the ES1968 is corrupted and causes the system to hang while either compiled as a module or compiled into the kernel. I corrected this by totally disabling alsa sound in the kernel and doing a "emerge alsa-driver". I then simply followed the Gentoo Alsa guide and got the ES1968 loaded and working. Cool
nick-brown
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I solved the problem, the completely opposite way - I'd been (not) loading the driver as a module. When doing a different installation, I found that drilling down the Alsa sub-menu in the kernel configurer produced the correct option. Recompiling the kernel (2.6.9) with this checked, solved the problem. Very much a n00b mistake ;-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: