Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Emerged xmms-cdread, but still can't play .cda ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seamaiden
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Emerged xmms-cdread, but still can't play .cda ? Reply with quote

Hello,

I've got a burned cd that is encoded as .cda files. I'm able to play most music files with xmms, thought for sure I was able to play .cda files prior to my most recent emerge world (man!), but can't play this damned cd. Also doesn't play in my car's cd player, so I'm wondering a couple of things.

First, I've gone through the xmms documentation, as well as searched here using these keywords "play .cda xmms", and everything says that with the right plugin I should be able to play these files. Am I way off base in my research or have I missed something? I thought emerging the cdread plugin would solve the issue on my machine. This cd plays on KsCD, a player I don't really care for, much prefer xmms.

Second, is there a way I can "re-encode" the files in the cd to mp3 or other so I can play this music more easily elsewhere? I haven't used Grip since the update, but have ripped quite a bit previously, but haven't quite run into a problem with .cda files before. Is Grip a good way to go to re-encode/re-rip these files?

I'm using a dual-boot machine, Gentoo 2.6 kernel & Win2k. My fiance' does most of the stuff on my machine, but I like/need to know how to do things myself, too.

I barely know my way around the command line, but I CAN follow instructions, links, etc.!

http://www.wetwebmedia.com
Seamaiden
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.. I either really stumped you folks, or I've asked the most incredibly stupid questions ever on this forum. Hrm. :lol:

shickapooka800
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might try going into your xmms preferences (its in the menu or you can hit ctrl-p), then find the cd player plugin, and hit the 'configure' button. there will be an option for either digital output or anologue output (i think -- im not infront of it right now), select the digital one (i have to do this everytime i have installed xmms -- so thats about 6 times). this should fix everything if you already have the output plugins and soundcard configured. if it doesnt then thats all ive got, good luck.
Seamaiden
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shickapooka800 wrote:
you might try going into your xmms preferences (its in the menu or you can hit ctrl-p), then find the cd player plugin, and hit the 'configure' button. there will be an option for either digital output or anologue output (i think -- im not infront of it right now), select the digital one (i have to do this everytime i have installed xmms -- so thats about 6 times). this should fix everything if you already have the output plugins and soundcard configured. if it doesnt then thats all ive got, good luck.

No sheet, huh? I was messing around with xmms last night, exploring my plugins so to speak, and discovered this digital/analog output. I was afraid to mess with it, not knowing really what it does. I'll try that with the CD, though it won't help it play in my car.

Now, here's the thing - even after emerging xmms-cdread, I cannot find the plugin in any of the configurable options within xmms itself (as in when I open the proggie). I need to find it, though I thought it would find xmms on its own. In any event, my plan is to burn the CD as .cda, then rip it via Grip and have it encode that into .mp3. It's a damned cool Beastie Boys intrumental recorded in France - I recognize a lot of the music, but never knew who it was or where it came from.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: