System unusable while emerging/compiling stuff
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iverasp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: System unusable while emerging/compiling stuff Reply with quote

Hi. Just installed Gentoo according to the stage1 devolopers guide. Everything but udev worked out of the box, and I've enabled devfs instead. Thats the only exception I've made from the guide. But when emerging/compiling stuff, the system is absolutely unusable, and lags alot. I cant listen to mp3s, browse the net, or even edit documents. And compiling only takes around 40% of CPU resources for some reason, so the problem isnt it taking all resources. Do anyone know why my system is behaving this way? I can remember that watching movies and emerging stuff worked fine simultaniusly on previous linux systems, so why isnt it working now?

EDIT: Now I tried watching a DVD, and when then opening the console to change volumes, the movie started lagging like hell. So it isnt only emerging that causes it.

My hardware is P4 3,0GHz, 1Gb DDRAM, Geforce 5200FX, Epox motherboard.

Thanks
SerfurJ
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you probably just need to turn on your DMA.
Code:
hdparm -d1 /dev/hdx
iverasp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
bash-2.05b# hdparm -d1 /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

...what the heck?

its a seagate 7002.7 pata disk or something, connected to my onboard ide controller.
SerfurJ
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need DMA support compiled into the kernel for your chipset. modules won't work. search the forums and you'll find plenty of info on this.
iverasp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Searched a bit on google, and found out I hadnt selected the correct IDE controller in the kernel. But under Device Drivers->ATAPI/...../RLL support i cant find my Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02), as lspci -v nicely told me it was. Maybe I just need too look some more... The motherboard is a Epox modell EP-4PDA2, with the Intel 865 chipset. Could anyone who have this motherboard or IDE controller please post their .config file? Cos I cant figure out what to choose in the kernel menu...at all.

Thanks
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iverasp wrote:
Searched a bit on google, and found out I hadnt selected the correct IDE controller in the kernel. But under Device Drivers->ATAPI/...../RLL support i cant find my Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02), as lspci -v nicely told me it was. Maybe I just need too look some more... The motherboard is a Epox modell EP-4PDA2, with the Intel 865 chipset. Could anyone who have this motherboard or IDE controller please post their .config file? Cos I cant figure out what to choose in the kernel menu...at all.

Thanks

I think all modern Intel ATA chipsets are supported with the Pentium II driver. I don't have a Linux box handy to give you details.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: