hardware upgrade
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: hardware upgrade Reply with quote

I currently run gentoo on a p2 400 single proc system, and am acquiring a dual p2 400 with bigger hard drives that I want to upgrade to. Since it is a different machine entirely, I know the best course would probably be to reinstall everything on the new one. But with all the time I have invested in the current one with different programs installed/configured/etc I am looking into just tar'ing the whole system and moving it over but wanted to see if there are any major issues that I am not thinking of. I know I would need to edit /etc/fstab for the new partition info, recompile the kernel, and do a new install of grub, but is there anything else that I would need to make sure to do before bringing the new one into production?
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since it is a different machine entirely, I know the best course would probably be to reinstall everything on the new one.

No, you don't.
You don't know that at all.
You will be going from a P2 system to a P2 system - so what if it's SMP, just make menuconfig and reboot.
Do this on the new system, it should work fine even if only on one engine.

As long as the on-board hardware is comparable (and most of it should be, those systems only have Intel hardware on board) and you transfer all of the PCI cards then that will be all the adjustments needed.

<sigh> another Microsoft hostage rescued ;-)

(To clarify that last statement: Linux doesn't care what hardware you have - if you build a genkernel on the old system then the new one is guaranteed to boot first time.)
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course, when copying your system to the new harddrive(s), use cp -a, to preserve filepermissions etc... And I don't know if it's really necessary, but I prefer to do it anyway, and that is to boot from a liveCD or something and copy the system from one HD to the other from within the environment of the livecd. I'm always reluctant to copy a live-system.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: