Cannot boot CD on P133
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jadenjahner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 7:01 am    Post subject: Cannot boot CD on P133 Reply with quote

I cannot get the Gentoo CD to boot on my old P133 desktop. The CD is fine, since I used it to install Gentoo on my laptop. The computer boots CD's fine, since I installed Red Hat and Mandrake on the computer. The issue lies with the SYSLINUX based CD's, since Slackware also has the problem.

The SYSLINUX output displays on the screen, meaning the inital bootstrap loaded, but then a cannot find cdrom device error dumps to the screen, and it panics.

Are there any other Gentoo CD's or other means to start a Gentoo installation?

Thanks.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot boot CD on P133 Reply with quote

jadenjahner wrote:
Are there any other Gentoo CD's or other means to start a Gentoo installation?

See standard answers. There are a couple of options to choose from.

You can also buy a CD though I'm not sure if they would work any better than the one you're already using.

--kurt
dreamwolf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 2:58 pm    Post subject: Installed on P133 (couldn't boot from CD, either) Reply with quote

I have an ancient (1996) Compaq Presario P133. I long ago ditched the 1.6GB hard drive that came with it - along with the hidden partition on it that allows one to fiddle with the BIOS settings - which means that I can't change the boot order. I will never be able to boot from CD on that PC.

I didn't have another computer available for tftp'ing into for the initial part of the installation, so I went ahead and created the partitions on my hard drive (from the install document) and copied the entire contents of the install CD to a directory on the 100MB ext2 boot partition (using tomsrtbt).

From there, it was a simple matter of jumping between the altinstall (substituting my install directory on the boot partition for tftp items) and install documents (with the boot install diretory coming in place of the CDROM).

This was my first experience really using GRUB, and I must say, it's pretty spiffy. I just wish GNU had provided a liiiiittle bit more doco on the GRUB floppy that I used, as I didn't have an Internet connection, and I couldn't remember how to get GRUB to recognize the partition I wanted (root (hd0,0), in case you're curious).

Hope this helps,
Wolfie
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: