Installation woes - timezone
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssaady
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Installation woes - timezone Reply with quote

I am attemptiong my first Gentoo installation, Stage 1. The installation instructions seem very easy. I am following the installation instructions verbatim as best I can tell, w/ the exception of using /dev/hde rather than hda. There are no signs of error or anomaly until I get stymied at step 7a, when I am told to set the timezone. I do not have a /usr/share/zoneinfo dir. That I could live with, but then I get to "emerge gentoo-sources". I am changing CHOST to "i686-pc-linux-gnu" since I am on a Pentium III, and adding "MAKEOPTS="-j2"" to make.conf, but I doubt those are ralted to my problem.

When on step 6a I do the "env-update" after "chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash", instead of getting the "* Caching service dependencies..." message the documentation says I will get, I get ">>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache", which seems reasonable.... to me at least.

Ultimately, I die at "emerge gentoo-sources". It goes through a few kernels, then it dies at some gettext-tools error.
Ideas? Suggestions???
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/usr/share/zoneinfo will be created when you compile sys-libs/glibc (this happens during bootstrap).

It seems like you have skipped a few important steps for a stage1 installation. It should go something like this :
    Setup and mount partitions
    Setup networking
    Unpack stage tarball
    Chroot
    Emerge --sync
    Setup /etc/make.conf
    Bootstrap
    Setup timezone
    Emerge system
    Emerge kernel sources and compile kernel
    Emerge a few other things
    Setup the bootloader
    Exit chroot environment
    Unmount partitions and reboot
ssaady
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did all those things, w/ the exception of "Emerge --sync ", I missed that.... Is that going to help the zoneinfo gettext problem?

Is install-x86-universal-2004.3-r1.iso the correct image to install from? I am using the instructions at:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?style=printable&full=1[/list]
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssaady wrote:
I did all those things, w/ the exception of "Emerge --sync ", I missed that.... Is that going to help the zoneinfo gettext problem?

Once you have finished the bootstrap step, you should have a zoneinfo directory with stuff in it. Gettext should also be taken care of during bootstrap.

Once you get to the point of emerging the kernel sources, emerge should not need to pull-in any other dependencies (unless one of the previous steps was not completed).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: