Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
I'd like to remaster Knoppix on my Gentoo box . . .
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
somas1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: I'd like to remaster Knoppix on my Gentoo box . . . Reply with quote

I'd like to remaster Knoppix or Morphix on my Gentoo box but did not create an extra partition when I fdisk'ed my drive. Is there a way to resize my current partition without destroying any data on it?

Any help or pointers appreciated. I did google for this but being a newb I'd like to confer with someone about the best way to go about this.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: I'd like to remaster Knoppix on my Gentoo box . . . Reply with quote

somas1 wrote:
I'd like to remaster Knoppix or Morphix on my Gentoo box but did not create an extra partition when I fdisk'ed my drive. Is there a way to resize my current partition without destroying any data on it?

Any help or pointers appreciated. I did google for this but being a newb I'd like to confer with someone about the best way to go about this.

Remaster? To make a livecd or to work with them on the hd?
If the response is the firs you can make a loopback filesystem on an easy way.
Code:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/file bs=1024 count=700000
mkfs.reiserfs /path/to/file
mount -oloop /path/to/file /mnt/knoppix

Then you can access your loopback filesystem on /mnt/knoppix.
The example creates a 700mb filesystem, you can change these value if you want.[/code]
[EDIT]
Postdata: there are resizing tools, but i don't know anything about reiserfs, anyway, if it exists is, for sure, unsafe to use.
[/EDIT]
somas1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. I did not really want to resize and I figured there was a way to remaster and create a live cd without doing this.

I hope you don't mind some more newb questions relating to your post. I did some googling to find that a "loopback filesystem allows new virtual filesystems to be created to provide access to existing files using alternative pathnames. The most common use of lofs is by autofs to mount filesystems, exported by the local host, via /hosts. After the virtual filesystem is mounted, other filesystems can be mounted within it, covering, but not affecting, parts of the original filesystem. However, filesystems which are subsequently mounted onto the original underlying file system are visible to the virtual file system, except that recursive traversals are not allowed, i.e if / is mounted on /newroot, access to /newroot/newroot would not lead to another filesystems, rather it will appear as a normal directory, just as it was on the original underlying filesystem before the mount."

I think I understand what that means but do I have to recompile my kernel to be able to mount a loopback filesystem or can anyone do this regardless of what options were checked when a kernel was compiled?
somas1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I'd like to remaster Knoppix on my Gentoo box . . . Reply with quote

6thpink wrote:

[/code]
[EDIT]
Postdata: there are resizing tools, but i don't know anything about reiserfs, anyway, if it exists is, for sure, unsafe to use.
[/EDIT]

I want to make sure I understand what I substitute in your code to make this work on my system.
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero
tells dd to copy from a file right? Which file is /dev/zero ?

Do I substitute
Code:
home/somas1
for
Code:
/path/to/file ?

Why are you suggesting reiserfs above?

Thanks for helping a newb out.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: I'd like to remaster Knoppix on my Gentoo box . . . Reply with quote

somas1 wrote:
6thpink wrote:

[/code]
[EDIT]
[/EDIT]

I want to make sure I understand what I substitute in your code to make this work on my system.
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero
tells dd to copy from a file right? Which file is /dev/zero ?

It's just a special character device file that contains the value of zero. You can use anyfile for this, since when you do mkfs part the file will be reformated, it's just the standard way to create a file, there are many other ways too.
somas1 wrote:

Do I substitute
Code:
home/somas1
for
Code:
/path/to/file ?

Yes, but remember that is /home/soma1, you missed the first slash.
somas1 wrote:

Why are you suggesting reiserfs above?

You can use your preferred fs, I like reiser but ext3 is also a good one.
somas1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. You've made this entire process easier.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: