Dual Hard-Drive Installing Problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyber-menace
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Dual Hard-Drive Installing Problem Reply with quote

I'm having some trouble with installing Gentoo. I have two EXT3 partitions made on my Slave drive /dev/hdb5 is the device I want to install Gentoo on. I think something went wrong during the installation procedures.

I have the universal LiveCD right now, I booted it and followed all of the instructions given, but when I reached the emerge --sync, it only downloaded a little bit of data and then started reporting "Device is out of space" errors. I don't know which device it is downloading to, but the device I want to use has 15GB of space.

How to I configure Gentoo to install in /dev/hdb5 using the Universal LiveCD and booting from the CD. My boot partition that is currently in use is /dev/hda which Windows 98SE uses.

I need help with this as soon as possible, I want to try out Gentoo to see if it is better than Mandrake or Slackware, and I also want to start this install tonight.
TheRAt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think you might have missed an instruction or two, or are downloading the files in the ram disk created by the LiveCD..

Get Firefox and rediscover the web!

BOFH Excuse #295:
The Token fell out of the ring. Call us when you find it.
donjuan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what happened is you didn't mount the right partition in the right place. Did you mount /dev/hdb5 to /mnt/gentoo? Maybe you forgot to reformat it.

Are you saying that you don't have a /boot parition yet? Why not just create one on /dev/hdb? Some people just don't use one and keep their kernel image on the / partition, but that's generally discouraged.

The Stage 1 on 3 Install
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Hard-Drive Installing Problem Reply with quote

cyber-menace wrote:
when I reached the emerge --sync, it only downloaded a little bit of data and then started reporting "Device is out of space" errors. I don't know which device it is downloading to, but the device I want to use has 15GB of space.

To see how much space you have available, try this.
Code:
# df -h

If you don't see /dev/hdb5 mentioned at all, then you probably didn't mount it yet.
cyber-menace
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the problem with working with something like that at 1 in the morning. I forgot the most obvious thing... to mount my hard drive.

I now have a boot partition and am currently installing X11, KDE, and Gnome so I can actually have a graphical interface.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: