View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smohamedfarouk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Installing Gentoo Sources Missing Reply with quote

Hello All
I am trying to install Linux in my old pentium 133 processor with 4 GB Harddisk.

I would like to have the following partition scheme
Totally I have 525 cyclinders only on the Hard Disk

/dev/hda1 - boot EXT2 - Primary (15 cyclinders)
/dev/hda2 - swap (15 cyclinders)
/dev/hda3 - / EXT3 - Primary (100 cyclinders)
/dev/hda4 - EXT3 - Extended (340 cyclinders)
/dev/hda5- /home EXT3 - Primary (100 cyclinders)
/dev/hda6 - /usr EXT3 - Primary (150 cyclinders)
/dev/hda7 - /opt EXT3 - Primary (40 cyclinders)
/dev/hda8 - /var EXT3 - Primary (50 cyclinders)
remaining not partitioned 55 cyclinders

The
File system is installed and Now used the tar command to extract the stage3 from /mnt/gentoo which directory for mounting on /dev/hda3. Went ok and then i used the same tar command to extract portage fro the snapshot directory of the CDROM into /usr directory which i mounted before invoking the tar command.

Mounted the proc - OK

After this performed the chroot command to point to
#chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash -- ok
#enu-update - - OK
#source /etc/profile - OK

. Configuring the Kernel
emerge gentoo-sources
FAILED : ARCH missing please check something about SYMLINK

went into /usr/src/linux cannot find this linux directory at all dont know where the extracted kernel is can you help me how to find this so i can do the symlink and continue with install?

What am i doing wrong here

?
Thanks and regards
Farouk
Enlight
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the force, read the handbook...:roll:

Code:
emerge --sync //first of all
emerge gentoo-dev-sources
smohamedfarouk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Sorry i am not sure Reply with quote

Congratulations! You are now inside your own Gentoo Linux environment. Of course it is far from finished, which is why the installation still has some sections left :-)

Updating the Portage treeYou should now update your Portage tree to the latest version. emerge --sync does this for you.

Code Listing 6: Updating the Portage tree

# emerge --sync

I thaught emerge --sync is for update the portage to latest and i can avoid it because i am extracting the portage from the CDROM and there is no need for the emerge --sync.

And next thing is when i try to emerge gentoo-dev- sources i get the PROBLLLLLLLLLLLLEMMMM...

Please can you help
Farouk
Tahoe_Strider
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: Amador County, Awarded 9th Best Place to live in Rural America

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the /usr/src directory do you see a directory such as linux-<kernel-version> that pertains to the source that you emerged? Is so, it's a simple matter to create the symlink simply by entering the command from the /usr/src directory as follows:
Code:
ln -s linux-2.4.26-gentoo-r9 linux

Simply substitute the version with yours. If you don't have said directory then I'd try re-emerging.
smohamedfarouk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Sorry dont see anything inside usr/src Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply
I dont see anything inside /mnt/gentoo/usr/src that is my problem

If i see something i can create a symlink

What should i do to re emerge again?

Thanks
Tahoe_Strider
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: Amador County, Awarded 9th Best Place to live in Rural America

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, once you're in the environment, what does a "emerge -p system" and "emerge -p gentoo-dev-sources" tell you?
Enlight
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:evil: :evil: :evil: YOU MUST BE KIDDING RIGHT???????? Portage and I are both saying run
Code:
emerge --sync
! !!!!!!!!!! (in the chrooted environment of course)

and then all your troubles will magically disapear...
Enlight
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Enlight"]:evil: :evil: :evil: YOU MUST BE KIDDING RIGHT???????? Portage and I are both saying run
Code:
emerge --sync
! !!!!!!!!!! (in the chrooted environment of course)

and then all your troubles will magically disapear... Thanks for your trust!!!!
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Gentoo Sources Missing Reply with quote

smohamedfarouk wrote:
The file system is installed and Now used the tar command to extract the stage3 from /mnt/gentoo which directory for mounting on /dev/hda3. Went ok and then i used the same tar command to extract portage fro the snapshot directory of the CDROM into /usr directory which i mounted before invoking the tar command.

Did you extract it to /usr or to /mnt/gentoo/usr? /usr is a directory created by the livecd and only exists on the RAM, and since it's outside /mnt/gentoo you won't be able to access it from the chroot.

For everyone saying emerge --sync... If you use the portage snapshot, you don't have to do this, since all the files that would be downloaded are contained in the tarball. In fact, if you want to use the package cd, doing an emerge sync will actually cause you problems by making the available packages, and the newest available packages go out of line with each other.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tahoe_Strider wrote:
In the /usr/src directory do you see a directory such as linux-<kernel-version> that pertains to the source that you emerged? Is so, it's a simple matter to create the symlink simply by entering the command from the /usr/src directory as follows:
Code:
ln -s linux-2.4.26-gentoo-r9 linux

Simply substitute the version with yours. If you don't have said directory then I'd try re-emerging.
The first time you emerge kernel sources, portage automatically emerges them with the symlink useflag set, which tells portage to create the /usr/src/linux symlink and/or point it to the new source directory. Additional kernel sources are emerged with the -symlink flag set, so if your ever emerging a new kernel source, and want it to become your default, then emerge it with USE="symlink" emerge gentoo-dev-sources, or whatever the kernel source may be. Again however, the first time a kernel source is emerged, portage should create the symlink for you.
Maedhros wrote:
smohamefarouk wrote:
The file system is installed and Now used the tar command to extract the stage3 from /mnt/gentoo which directory for mounting on /dev/hda3. Went ok and then i used the same tar command to extract portage fro the snapshot directory of the CDROM into /usr directory which i mounted before invoking the tar command.

Did you extract it to /usr or to /mnt/gentoo/usr? /usr is a directory created by the livecd and only exists on the RAM, and since it's outside /mnt/gentoo you won't be able to access it from the chroot.
This is probably what he did. However even if he extracted the snapshot to the wrong place, emerge --sync would generate a portage tree for him anyway (at the expense of an undesirable load on the rsync server :? ).
Enlight
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ARCH missing please check something about SYMLINK

I ahd the probleùm yesterday on my faketoo, emerge --sync fixex this problem! Maybe some people would rather hack portage and see the way it fixes the arch symlink, but I really DO_NOT underntand WTF running an emerge --sync is and I won't loose my time anymore on this topic. Running emerge --sync cost nothing and I repeat it FIXES this problem, people may rather have a non working system, I let you the choice.
ARCH is not kernel's symlink related...

Last edited by Enlight on Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enlight wrote:
I ahd the probleùm yesterday on my faketoo, emerge --sync fixex this problem! Maybe some people would rather hack portage and see the way it fixes the arch symlink, but I really DO_NOT underntand WTF running an emerge --sync is and I won't loose my time anymore on this topic. Running emerge --sync cost nothing and I repeat it FIXES this problem, people may rather have a non working system, I let you the choice..

smohamedfarouk wrote:
I thaught emerge --sync is for update the portage to latest and i can avoid it because i am extracting the portage from the CDROM and there is no need for the emerge --sync.

Yes, emerge --sync will fix the problem. So will extracting the portage tarball to the right place. :wink:

I can think of a reason to avoid running an emerge --sync: dial-up connections. Running emerge --sync normally takes about an hour on dial-up; it would take days if you had to download everything from scratch rather than just updating the things that have changed.
Enlight
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, emerge --sync will fix the problem. So will extracting the portage tarball to the right place. Wink

In my case it didn't and I always check the handbook in order to see if I'm not missing anything...the snap was : portage-20050221.tar.bz2
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enlight wrote:
Quote:
ARCH missing please check something about SYMLINK

I ahd the probleùm yesterday on my faketoo, emerge --sync fixex this problem! Maybe some people would rather hack portage and see the way it fixes the arch symlink, but I really DO_NOT underntand WTF running an emerge --sync is and I won't loose my time anymore on this topic. Running emerge --sync cost nothing and I repeat it FIXES this problem, people may rather have a non working system, I let you the choice.
ARCH is not kernel's symlink related...
Calm down, take a deep breath. Yes you are correct, as I said above emerge --sync will generate a portage tree and fix the problem. However the entire reason for portage snapshots is so that this waste of both server and client bandwith is not neccessary.
smohamedfarouk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Thanks but the problem is there Reply with quote

Hello ALl
1. I am doing a networrk less installation so I cannot do any connection to internet.
2. I have chrooted to the new environment there I have manually created a symlink inside
/usr/src/linux -> linux-2.4.26-gentoo-rr9

3. emerge -p gentoo-dev-sources works wich calculates dependency and says done and ten
perforrms the
[ebuild N ] dev-libs/ucl-1.01-r1
[ebuild N ] syskernel/gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.9-r1

4. emerge -p gentoo-sources also works wich calculates dependency and says done and ten
perforrms the
[ebuild N ] syskernel/gentoo-dev-sources-2.4.26-r9

Which one should i have to use 4 or 5

5. I have just 3 partition according to the handbook manual now

Prroblem I cannot Perforrm the cd to the directory

cd /usr/src/linux
It says /usr/src/linux: No such file or directory

Please help
smohamedfarouk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Thanks but the problem is there Reply with quote

Hello ALl
1. I am doing a networrk less installation so I cannot do any connection to internet.
2. I have chrooted to the new environment there I have manually created a symlink inside
/usr/src/linux -> linux-2.4.26-gentoo-rr9

3. emerge -p gentoo-dev-sources works wich calculates dependency and says done and ten
perforrms the

4. emerge -p gentoo-sources also works wich calculates dependency and says done and ten
perforrms the
[ebuild N ] syskernel/gentoo-dev-sources-2.4.26-r9

Which one should i have to use 4 or 5

5. I have just 3 partition according to the handbook manual now

Prroblem I cannot Perforrm the cd to the directory

cd /usr/src/linux
It says /usr/src/linux: No such file or directory

Please help
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now /usr/src/linux points to a non-existant directory, so cd /usr/src/linux tells you that the directory does not exist. You need to actually emerge the kernel sources in order for the directory to exist. Personally, I would use the 2.6 kernel, it has more up to date drivers, and since people around the forums are most likely using a 2.6 kernel (not to offend anyone who is using a 2.4), troubleshooting will go smoother.
smohamedfarouk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: What I have done is... Reply with quote

Right now /usr/src/linux points to a non-existant directory, so cd /usr/src/linux tells you that the directory does not exist.

You need to actually emerge the kernel sources in order for the directory to exist. Personally,

Ok I agree i will do the 2.6 kernel install using emerge -p gentoo-dev-sources

I have done the emerge
emerge -p gentoo-dev-sources works wich calculates dependency and says done and ten

perforrms the

Two Questions:
1. So should I have to change the link inside /usr/src/linux to point to -> linux-2.6.9-gentoo-r9 rather then the one I have rightnow /usr/src/linux -> linux-2.4.26-gentoo-r9 ?

2. So what do you expect now inside the folder /usr/src/linux ?

Thanks
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The -p flag for emerge means pretend - you haven't actually installed the kernel yet. Running emerge gentoo-dev-sources will install it. :wink:
smohamedfarouk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Errrror Reply with quote

Hello
Thanks for your reply. When i execute the command emerge gentoo-dev-sources
>>>It starts doing emerge (1 of 2) dev-libs/uc1-1.01-r2 to /
>>>Downloading http://gentoo.osuosl.org/distfiles/ucl-1.01.tarr.gz => '/usr/portage/distfiles/uc1-1.01.tar.gz'
Resolving gentoo.osuosl.org.. failed: temporary failuer in name resolution.

>>>Downloading http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/ucl-1.01.tarr.gz => '/usr/portage/distfiles/uc1-1.01.tar.gz'
Resolving distro.ibiblio.org.. failed: temporary failuer in name resolution.

Couldnt download uc1-1.01.tarr.gz Aborrting...

Please help i am trying to do a network less install and i have not have anything to do with networrk installed. I am trying to install from a Live CD.

Please would apprreciate a reply.
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After extracting the portage tarball, did you copy the source packages from the cd onto your computer? (This bit...)
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The universal live-cd should contain packages or source for the kernel. I'll leave it to someone else to tell you exactly where, but just look around on /mnt/cdrom (with root as the ramdisk) or wherever the live-cd is mounted (switch to another vt using ALT+F2 and run ls /mnt to find the livecd mountpoint) and you should find a distfile folder or something like that. Just copy everything in that folder to /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/distfiles (while still in vt2), then switch back to vt1 and try to emerge the kernel again.

EDIT: You beat me to it Maedhros. :) So just press ALT+F2 to switch to vt2, then type cp /mnt/cdrom/distfiles/* /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/distfiles/, then press ALT+F1 to switch back to vt1, and try to emerge the kernel again.
smohamedfarouk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Maedhros Reply with quote

The installation handbook does not specify anything about manual source copy.
Should we have to do it?
Farouk
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Maedhros Reply with quote

smohamedfarouk wrote:
The installation handbook does not specify anything about manual source copy.
Should we have to do it?
Farouk

Yes it does. :wink: (Edit: It does if you use the networkless install guide, anyway.)
Maedhros wrote:
(This bit...)

And anyway, if you didn't do it, where would the packages come from? If not the internet, they have to have come from somewhere. :)
smohamedfarouk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Final steps please help Reply with quote

Now i have used emerge genkernel to compile the kerrnel and it has finised successfully. But next step

Code Listing 18: Checking the created kernel image name and initrd

# ls /boot/kernel* /boot/initrd*
ls: /boot/kernel*: No such file orr dirrectory
ls: /boot/initrd*: No such file orr dirrectory

What to do now please help
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: