Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gnome 2.10
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.n wrote:
Quote:
Mmmmm got
[code]
[blocks B ] <=x11-themes/gnome-themes-2.8.2 (is blocking x11-themes/gtk-engines-2.6.2)
[blocks B ] <app-admin/gnome-system-tools-1.1.91 (is blocking app-admin/system-tools-backends-1.2.0)[code]

Is the route to go here to emerge -C x11-themes/gnome-themes-2.8.2 and emerge -C app-admin/gnome-system-tools-1.1.91 ?

yes, most likely once you do the emerge -C on those package the emerge -upv gnome will include a couple new packages that take the place of the ones you just removed. I had to remove several package before gnome 2.10 was unblocked.

- Jon
{{Azrael}}
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hyp0r, if you don't like using keywords, then you're really not using portage properly. The fact is the keywords are there to stop the everyday -arch user from using ~arch, makes sense yeh? So when you want to run ~arch you have to tell portage to do this. You can either do it using your /etc/make.conf, though this will mean ALL your packages are ~arch, or you can mix between -arch and ~arch in /etc/portage/package.keywords.

Anyway, take it or leave it, I'm not a UNIX guru, I've been learning Linux on Gentoo for 18 months, and I'de say I've learnt a bit, but obviously I don't have the same years of experience you do.

^^ p.n

Yeh just unmerge them, you'll be safe, I had to do this too 8)
hyp0r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{{Azrael}} wrote:
Well hyp0r, if you don't like using keywords, then you're really not using portage properly. I guess you could manually install all those deps, though, I don't see any advantages.

Huh, what has "using portage properly" to do with "don't like using keywords"? I simply don't like the way it's solved. Really! And I think in this case, it's a gnome-dep issue, since the deps are quite horrible. This is not the case with kde, or several other standalone apps. It's simply a damn monkey-work to create the dep-list for gnome. That's all. I'd like to have some dynamic adaptor, that enables me to include a special master-ebuild, like the gnome-ebuild, but install it with slightly modified environment variables. But however, I wonder if the effort is worth developing such a tool for gnome only. I could use portage-overlay for that, but modifying each each is a pain in the ... So I'd appreciate a more dynamic portage.keywords. I've submitted a lot of ebuilds since I use gentoo and I know quite well how to cope with it and maybe I can set up a specification on what my plan is and maybe the portage-developers agree with my idea. I don't know. But I think it's time to try it, not keep on complaining. I hope we can live in peace now!
{{Azrael}}
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peace it is, if this can be done let me know, sounds like a cool idea.8)
Rapsey
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason it can't find the image for gnome-main-menu, anyone had this problem?
electric_hamster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hyp0r wrote:
{{Azrael}} wrote:
Well hyp0r, if you don't like using keywords, then you're really not using portage properly. I guess you could manually install all those deps, though, I don't see any advantages.

Huh, what has "using portage properly" to do with "don't like using keywords"? I simply don't like the way it's solved. Really! And I think in this case, it's a gnome-dep issue, since the deps are quite horrible. This is not the case with kde, or several other standalone apps. It's simply a damn monkey-work to create the dep-list for gnome. That's all. I'd like to have some dynamic adaptor, that enables me to include a special master-ebuild, like the gnome-ebuild, but install it with slightly modified environment variables. But however, I wonder if the effort is worth developing such a tool for gnome only. I could use portage-overlay for that, but modifying each each is a pain in the ... So I'd appreciate a more dynamic portage.keywords. I've submitted a lot of ebuilds since I use gentoo and I know quite well how to cope with it and maybe I can set up a specification on what my plan is and maybe the portage-developers agree with my idea. I don't know. But I think it's time to try it, not keep on complaining. I hope we can live in peace now!

So basically, you'd like env variables that recurse down the tree from the parent ebuild. Seems like a good idea to me....
hyp0r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, like that. What I have in mind is the following:
You are urged to install a package distribution, that has a bunch of reverse dependencies, which all don't fit your current system-keyword. So the way you currently do it is the following:
You become a monkey and copy-paste every package you'd like to have installed into your package.keywords.
We've seen, that this list is getting damn long and is absolutely not userfriendly when it comes to updating this distribution.
I thought portage supported variables in package.keywords, but actually it does not. Variables like GV=2.10 for a gnome-version of 2.10, so you can later set this to 2.10.1 and every corresponding packages will have it's version incremented.
So why not simply add gnome-base/gnome-2.10 to it, inheriting every variable you set to it.
So you'd simply have to add gnome-2.10 to package.keywords and you will get gnome-2.10. Therefore, you should need to set a flag whether the target is a final ebuild or maybe a reference to other's. Just like programming finals and references. :)
Calculating the reverse-dependencies all the time will be a burden to the cpu, so we might calculate it once and cache it. We could use hashes to to check a dirty-state of this cache, so we know when to calculate a new reverse-dependency.
It's easy to follow this tree, when using >= version-requests, but it's more difficult to calculate dependencies for equals (=). To prevent portage from updating the whole system, we can set a recursion-level or a restriction to install the files, which are absolutely necessary for the application to run.

That's my raw concept, just to get you an idea of what I'm talking about. If this is to come into portage one day, the granularity for this idea can be finer than it currently is.
The target of this idea is to enable the user to include packages without setting to ~x86, unmasking packages and creating a long list of keywords. Just the root-node for the package-tree would be necessary.

I just wanted to point out, that my intention is not flaming but telling you that I'm not satisfied with the grade of complexity portage currently has.
{{Azrael}}
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could your idea also help the process of unmerging Gnome? Like, if I changed to variable to have no gnome....:?: Right now it's a real pain to do this...
nightfrost
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all; I've been trying to go through the posts above, but I haven't managed to read all 25 pages of posts, so if this particular issue has been brought up earlier, I'm sorry.

I have the strangest problem with gnome 2.10. I've been having this problem across distros (an archlinux as well), so it's probably not gentoo specific. I installed Gnome 2.10, everything worked fine. I installed a theme. Changed to it, and then gnome crashed. I restarted X and then whenever I attempt to login nothing happens. The splash screen shows, but nothing more. There are only three messages from syslog; they all start with "resolved address"; two of them refer to two different files /etc/gconf, and one of them refers to a file in my home dir (I'm sorry I can't copy & paste). After trying various things without success, I decided to remove the user and its home dir, and start anew (as this is a new install anyway). But that hasn't helped either.

I'm quite sure this isn't a permission problem (no messages concerning that & I have never logged in as root (except in command line of course)). Also, the whole system is compiled with with sane flags (-O2 -march=i686 -pipe -fomit-framepointer).

Any ideas of what this can be? I'm really at a loss here since I'm not getting any useful log messages...
hyp0r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{{Azrael}} wrote:
Could your idea also help the process of unmerging Gnome? Like, if I changed to variable to have no gnome....:?: Right now it's a real pain to do this...

Probably. The question will be, what recursion depth you allow for unmerging. But since there are required packages to get gnome running (the ebuild says, what's required for gnome), you could also use it to unmerge gnome automatically. The problem is, there will certainly be zombies left, that are required for libs to run gnome. That's the matter of recursion-level. At least you can deinstall the "most" packages. The zombies are the reason where 'emerge --depclean' comes in. This way, not only gnome will profit from this idea but may other's, like 'gabber', too, which installs libs, that are needed for only and only gabber.
nightfrost
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...this is the weirdest thing.. I noticed that user does not have permission to /dev/null when I logged in my user at the command prompt. Messages saying that also appear if I run startx instead of a login manager. Why is that? Could this be the problem? Thanks.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continues here.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25
Page 25 of 25

Jump to: