View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pkdawson
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Help with LyX needed Reply with quote

Okay, I'm pretty much a newbie to LyX and LaTeX in general. I've read the LyX tutorial, but honestly I just don't have the time to read the huge amount of documentation that comes with LyX. My problem is fairly simple. I need to write a document with a title page that looks something like this:
Code:
[something]
[something else]
Part One

[Title]

[Name]
[email]
[date]

With the Title roughly centered (vertically), and nothing else on the first page. Could someone give me a pointer in the right direction? I suspect I have to create my own .layout file or something.

Thanks...

(edit) I forgot to mention: everything should be centered, too.
nahpets
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I'd suggest avoiding Lyx... Use Kile instead (KDE Latex frontend). The code below is pretty ugly, but may do what you want with some tweaking.

Code:

\begin{document}

\begin{center}
~\linebreak %insert a space to start the page off

\bigskip
\bigskip
\bigskip
\bigskip
\bigskip
\bigskip

\begin{huge}
This is a title \linebreak
\end{huge}

\bigskip
\bigskip
\bigskip
\bigskip
\bigskip
\bigskip

Name\linebreak
email\linebreak
date\linebreak
\end{center}
\pagebreak

\end{document}

On the other hand, Latex has a "\maketitle" command which will make a title-page for you. The output will look different depending on your document class (ie. article, report...)

Code:

\begin{document}

\title{This is a title}
\date{\today}
\author{
Your Name Here \\
Your Email
}

\maketitle

\end{document}
pkdawson
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nahpets wrote:
On the other hand, Latex has a "\maketitle" command which will make a title-page for you. The output will look different depending on your document class (ie. article, report...)

Right. The trouble is, the stock classes don't meet my needs. I'd like to do this the "right way", which seems to involve making my own class. Any ideas how to go about doing that?
Thanks for your reply.
nahpets
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you need to make a whole new class just to format a title page. As I said, you can format it using regular Latxex like the \bigskip command etc. If you're going to have multiple title pages in the same document, you can create a custom command using "\newcommand".

From what I know, creating new CLS files is for advanced users, so if you're a newbie to Latex, this is really not an option. You should be able to use what's already there to do what you want. Also, try google to see if someone has already done what you want to do. I think that there's a high probability that you'll find some existing Latex code you can cut and paste.
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latex is considered to be a document processor not a word processor. Latex's purpose is to perform the document formatting for you. You do have predefined document classes or layouts, such as article, book, etc. The problem arises when you need a very customized looking document, then you are forced to do a lot of latex hacking yourself, such as presented by nahpets above.

LyX hides all the latex commands such as setting up a document's preamble, the part of the code that has such things as
Code:
\documentclass[english]{article}

\usepackage{mathptmx}
\usepackage[scaled=.90]{helvet}
\usepackage{courier}

\usepackage{geometry}
\geometry{verbose,letterpaper,tmargin=1in,bmargin=1in,lmargin=1in,rmargin=1in}
\usepackage{array}
\usepackage{float}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{setspace}

On the other hand, Kile gives you direct access to the Latex code in a nice menu driven system, where you would see all the above code and can easily customize it. However, in either case of using LyX or Kile, you will have to learn latex in order to do much customization or deviation from the standard document classes. You are basically confined to doing as nahpets demonstrated.

[EDIT]
In addition to bigskip, there are commands to do custom sized skips where you can set the size of the skip in inches, etc.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: