Chrooting(solved)but now computer cannot load kernel at boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cpoc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Chrooting(solved)but now computer cannot load kernel at boot Reply with quote

I have attempted to install a raid 1 setup following this guide http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_Install_on_Software_RAID_mirror_and_LVM2_on_top_of_RAID

Everything went fine until I messed up Grub. So now everytime it boots up it just crashes at Grub. I know my error now and know how to fix Grub but I don't know how to chroot into a raid 1 set with LVM2

Since I have completed the gentoo install I don't want to mess up the data on the raid disks.

Can somebody explain me the proper procedure booting from Live CD and chrooting into a raid 1 with LVM2 setup.

I have searched by have not found anything. Most guides deal with raidtools and I am using mdadm

Thanks.

Last edited by Cpoc on Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
n3mo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something here.
Cpoc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I understand this procedure of

Code:

# modprobe raid1

Code:

# mknod /dev/md0 b 9 0
# mknod /dev/md1 b 9 1
# mknod /dev/md2 b 9 2

I have done this with no issues but my questions comes to this part of the procedure
Code:

# mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/hda1 /dev/hdc1
# mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md1 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/hda2 /dev/hdc2
# mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md2 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/hda3 /dev/hdc3

It askes me that a raid setup is already there and the files system is resiserfs. by doing this off the LIveCD I won't erase my data. I gives me a waring that are you sure you want to do this.

This part I'm not sure this is why I asked before a attempted to do it. The mounting of the drives is easy and I know how to do that as well.

I just needed to confirm that creating the raid off the LiveCD won't erase any of the data on the hard disk.

Thanks.
Cpoc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to chroot with no issues and the this code works fine I was just paranoid

Code:

# mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/hda1 /dev/hdc1
# mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md1 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/hda2 /dev/hdc2
# mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md2 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/hda3 /dev/hdc3

It also needed alot more steps but I figured it out with no problems.

As of now my Grub boots to the splash screen but as soon as it tries to load the kernel the computer reboots and repeats the same process.

So something is really wrong. Either my Grub config is really off or my kernel is not compiled correctly.

What would cause the computer to reboot at the boot process. It won't even load the kernel.

Loading via the Live Cd works just fine and my Gentoo setup is complete. I know I'm missing something

I followed this wiki guide for my raid setup http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_Install_on_Software_RAID_mirror_and_LVM2_on_top_of_RAID

Can anybody post their grub.conf file and I can compare to mine. I can only post my .conf file tonight.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: