stuck on the splash screen?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
furtivefelon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: stuck on the splash screen? Reply with quote

hi, mine stucked on the splash screen of the liveCD universal.. 2004.3 version.. on the splash screen, there is Gentoo on hte top and then followed by 2004.3, and the followed by a progress bar, which isn't moving at all.. so i have no idea wat's wrong.. i'm using it on a laptop.. thanks alot :D
ThinkTank89
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Push F2 when you see the the progress bar for "verbose output", and tell us what you see.

p.s. sorry if i dont follow up on this topic, I've got work to do :-[
furtivefelon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it stopped at:
>> Loading modules...
:: Scanning for ehci-hcd...

thanks alot :D
ThinkTank89
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it is suck on that? I'm clueless as to what that module is, sorry :(

Try running a google search, and, are you posatvive your going it substintial time ( I'd bet you are, but I've just gota make sure). Because just a few seconds might not be enough.
furtivefelon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it's been waiting since i made my last post, so at least 10 mins :D

mmm... did some search.. it's apparently an usb 2.0 related module.. i don't understand most of the stuff i dug up, since i'm very new to linux (my computer broke down, and it takes them 11 days to send me an replacement restoration disk.. so i thought setting up various flavours of linux..).. anyone have any ideas?
ThinkTank89
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very odd that a module scan off the live-cd would do that =/

Iv your not going to stick with it, I'd suggest not installing gentoo, its quite a bit to take in for someone new to linux and the time you take setting it up will not be worth the effort if your restore-cd will delete it within 11 days :-p

I'd suggest you go get an RH9 system up and running :)
It's a very friendly distro, easy to install and use, and it is where I've got my roots in Linux as well.

P.S. Try to stick to console mode ok :wink: you will learn quite a bit more that way; sorry I couldnt help :oops:
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a usb keyboard? If not try typing gentoo nousb at the boot: prompt.
furtivefelon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am going to stick with linux if i can at least get one distro work :|.. loll.. now i'm considering to install knoppix, which would work because the liveCD works fine except for my wireless, i'll fix that later.. loll..

I tried fedora core 3, it often freezes while booting, i have no idea why.. i have no success so far in installing debian, i tried mandrakes 10.1 also, it won't go into startx, then there is Gentoo which i'm trying to get it to work :|..

mmm.. i'll figure out how to intall knoppix and see how it works out.. loll.. btw, the method nousb thing doesn't work :|
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then just do gentoo nohotplug, that should fix the problem all together. Then we can go back and add support for your network card after it boots. Just tell me what network card your using and I'll tell you what to type to get it working.
furtivefelon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo nousb seem to start the linux fine now :|.. it froze yesterday..

ok, now i got to a point where there is a livecd root # prompt.. wat should i type to start into graphical interface? or there is no support for that on livecd? Also, how do i check if hardware is deteted correctly before i actually install anything, since i don't want to install a os and it doesn't work with my hardware :|.. thanks alot :D
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no graphical interface, if you want one you can install from knoppix or some other linux livecd. The only hardware you really need to worry about being detected is your network card and your keyboard. So start doing the install, and if either one of those wasn't detected, it will become quite obvious :) .
ThinkTank89
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="furtivefelon"]wat should i type to start into graphical interface?/quote]

Nope, Gentoo is hardcore terminal based install only 8O And you have to sit there and do it step by step as well, theres no "install gentoo" command that you can just let run for X minutes.

Go and check out http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml and select the guide book for your correct archetecture, its some really top of the line document gentoo has :) So, I dont think you should have too many porblems :)

Choose the "Stage 3 Tarball" when asked to pick between 1, 2, or 3, be careful using the fdisk command if you have any valuable data sitll on your drive, and, write down the output of both the
Code:
lspci
and
Code:
lsmod
commands, these will help a lot when you are Configuring your kernel (lsmod will probably help more the lspci acutally)

Kernel Configuration is when you set up hardware support, it should auto dectet all your stuff for you, and auto-select it in the kernel config menu, but, for example, personally, I've alwyas specificially had to designate my ethernet card ad "eepro100".

Good luck and feel free to post if you need help :wink: but im going out tonight at 7:15

EDIT: Yea, Based on what Sith_Happens said, looks like that sutff dosent auto-detect as in general, lsmod should give you the info you need to configure your card for sure.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry I forgot you need to configure your network card (I answer alot of posts), I didn't mean to be a jackass. Just post the output of lspci | grep Ethernet and I'll tell you what module to load and how. If lspci | grep Ethernet doesn't show anything, just post the output of lspci. It could be you have a NIC hidden in a modem or something like that (laptops have this sometimes).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: