Question before installing - Speed issue
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seib3377
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Question before installing - Speed issue Reply with quote

Sorry, I read through the FAQ as well as News & Announcements and I couldn't find an answer to my question, so I figured since the majority of you run Gentoo or are in the process of installing it, you could help me.

I've been using RedHat linux for little over two years now. To support the community I try to purchase a boxed set of the operating system every two full version release. Recently I upgraded to 8.0 and while I found the operating system *utterly* beautiful, I find it to be extremely slow. Rather then go back to RH 7.3, I've decided to venture off into a different distribution. Leaving RedHat will be heard, but I think its about time. The two distributions I'm considering are Debian & Gentoo. I briefly considered a Linux From Scratch, but I decided against it.

I'm curious how much faster Gentoo is compared to other operating systems, specifically RedHat & Debian. My school machine is an Intel Pentium 4 1.4Ghz with 128MBs of RAM. I typically use it for surfing the net (via Mozilla), typing papers (via OpenOffice.org) and talking to friends (via gaim).

I want a speed demon, is Gentoo the way to go?

Thanks for the information.
krusty_ar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably yes, if you are willing to give time to compile everithing :smile:

i used to have mdk8.1 (loved it) and i can notice a big performance gap
mdk was a i586 distro and rh (iirc) is a i386 distro, the gap should be greater (in theory).

for a bigger performance boost you should try prelnking (in any distro)

OTOH: gentoo is a metadistro so tou will have to do some extra work deciding what packages do you want and what USE flags you want to use.

hope that helped making your decision.

PS: gentoo forums are one of the best comunities i have seen in my life!!
seib3377
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Krusty Reply with quote

Thanks for the help Krusty. I have one question though - what is prelnking? 8O
AndiW
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically it makes your applications start faster.

Check this out:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/prelink-howto.xml
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo can be very fast. But installing can be pretty slow as everything is compiled from source (well, almost everything)

With your computer it shouldn't be too terribly bad though...

Normal usage will be very good (depending on the build options you choose of course...)

Prelinking will definatly speed up gentoo... Executables usually have to dynamically link to libraries when you run them, which adds to the start up time.. What prelink does is modify your executables so they don't have to do all the dynamic linking.
In other words.... It gets rid of stuff that has to be done when you run the programs which makes them start up a lot faster.
metalac
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Mandrake on my P3 800mhz laptop and it was a drag, so i decided to test stuff and put a Gentoo on my dual p2 300mhz box. This box is dual but techincaly slower than p3 800mhz, plus it had 128mb RAM less, back then, now they're equal. At the time I installed it that older box was running Linux faster than I had Mandrake on my new laptop. After that I immidiately got Gentoo on my laptop and that was the end of my "slowness" with Linux :)
seib3377
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on prelinking ... I'm sure I could have picked that stuff up on my own if I would have just searched for it, but I appreciate all the feedback. You guys are a big help.
Goalie_Ca
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came from Redhat 8.0 and found it unbearably slow. Mandrake is quite a bit faster, but not near as fast as gentoo. Thanks for the prelink tip, i never heard of that b4 :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: