View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nanoy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: skippy-xd, deadly slow Reply with quote

I just discovered skippy-xd today, however, for some reason its aweful slow to switch. 3D accel is on and transperency/shadows are running smooth.

But when I hit the shortcut for skippy, it waits 1-2 seconds then CPU goes too 100% and it sits there for another 1-2 seconds. Mouse over effect is also dreadly slow to respond, its like its not accel'ed

I tried downgrading xorg to 6.8.0 (from 6.8.2) with no effect.

I'm running on a AMD XP 2700 with a GeForce TI 4200 + 512 MB of rams, so hardware really shouldn't be the issue.

Makes me want to cry, it truely is a useful app/feature :(

If you're wondering what it is, its a feature from Mac OSX
http://thegraveyard.org/skippy.php

Thanks
Nanoy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems I got it running a bit more speedy adding load "extmod" to my xorg.conf, not quite there though :(
rongten
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you say which DE are you using? The skippy in portage worked fine on gnome 2.8,
now I have 2.10 and the grabbinig window procedure is not correct anymore (basically it grabs the
windows area with on top what are you actually seeing. A problem with the focusing of the new metacity?).

I will see if skippy-xd in bugs.gentoo.org address this issue.
#1401 @ Associate FSF Membership
Join FSF as an Associate Member!(With Referrer)
What are you waiting for?
Pythagoras1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rongten wrote:
Can you say which DE are you using? The skippy in portage worked fine on gnome 2.8,
now I have 2.10 and the grabbinig window procedure is not correct anymore (basically it grabs the
windows area with on top what are you actually seeing. A problem with the focusing of the new metacity?).

I will see if skippy-xd in bugs.gentoo.org address this issue.

i beleive the problem is the new window focus method of gnome 2.10. it's annoying to use skippy right now.
rongten
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is interesting, because XEmacs seems to suffer as well from when I moved to 2.10 .
Basically it complains when you copy/yank text, and under certain circumstances it crashes.

Is there a way to change this focusing behavior, maybe in gconf? Must find the time te look into it.
#1401 @ Associate FSF Membership
Join FSF as an Associate Member!(With Referrer)
What are you waiting for?
mallchin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What shortcut are you using for skippy in gnome?
uf_nihongo84
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: KDE 3.3.2 Reply with quote

I have troubles with speed as well, although, mine are a bit different...

When I run skippy-xd in KDE 3.3.2, EVERYTHING runs slowly, and X's CPU usage jumps to 25-30% (My entire system usually hovers around 8% with a top process active). Windows refresh slowly, not too slow so as to be unusable, but movement is jerky enough to be painfully annoying. Also, clicking on a window after skippy-xd's hotkey has been pressed simply restores the windows to the state they were before, rather than changing the focus. That completely eliminates skippy-xd's usefulness to me.

Is this just another case of KDE 3.3.2 hating everything, including God and me? I thought I heard it muttering something anti-Semitic the other day, I'm starting to get worried.

[Naw, I'm just kidding, KDE and I generally get along really well. I like it's interface more than Gnome, although I haven't tried anything else out... yet (just installed FVWM today, I'm curious to see how we'll get along). Irregardless, the skippy-xd issue is a problem, but it appears to be an issue with X and not KDE, am I right in thinking that?

[edit:]
Holy cow, I didn't realize I was asking this on a post that had been, more or less, dead for so long. Oops :oops:
mallchin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought it back to life :)

It still seems *real* slow... I used to use expocity which worked 10x better, unfortunately it hasn't been updated in a while...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: