bootstrap error during VMware 3.2 install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndiW
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: bootstrap error during VMware 3.2 install Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm trying to install a gentoo-1.4-rc2 stage 1 system within VMware 3.2 Workstation with Windows Xp as a host.

All works up until the point where bootstrap.sh installs baselayout and tries to mv all the device files:

Code:
mv: cannot move 'hda1_' to 'hda1' : Operation not permitted

This goes on for all the device files!

I'm using the SCSI virtual drive sda1 for gentoo.

Anybody out there with a solution?
trolley
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem several times, and I just finished installing in the same environment as you (XP and VMWare 3.2). I can't say whether or not I got that error during this install or not, since I was away most of the time, but I do know that at this point it is working.

You have 2 options the way I see it:

1. Do what I did...I started from scratch with a brand new virtual machine. The first thing I did was get rid of the SCSI virtual drive and made an IDE one. I don't know for sure that that was what fixed the installation, but it's working. ;) This will also save you from the nightmare of getting SCSI to work, since IDE is so easy.

2. Start from stage 2 so you don't have the /dev/* errors.

I'll also point out something that you may run into, since I did and I found it a few times on the forums. When it comes time to compile your kernel, make sure you disable SMP under the processor options. Mine wouldn't boot with it enabled. Second, the pcnet32 NIC driver wouldn't work for me as a module, but works fine when compiled directly into the kernel.

Good luck :) PM me if you have any other problems, since most of this crap is still fresh in my mind.
scocou
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm using the SCSI virtual drive sda1 for gentoo.

You need to use/load the BusLogic SCSI driver in the guest OS to use a virtual SCSI disk in VMware. I'm not sure if it's included as a module on the newest live-cd, but it's under SCSI low-level drivers in the kernel config, and is called BusLogic.o in case you insmod it. Unless you prefer virtual SCSI for some unstated reason I would use a virtual IDE drive, like fatwreckfan suggested. Of course, the best choice performance-wise is using a raw physical partition... and you'll avoid the virtual nonsense altogether.
Quote:
mv: cannot move 'hda1_' to 'hda1' : Operation not permitted
I can't say for sure this is causing your 'cannot move' problems, but if it's trying to say your virtual SCSI disk is supposed to be hda1, it's dead wrong ;) I'm a noob but that's where I'd start...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: