low-level Ogg Vorbis or mp3 playing software for embedded ap
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SchrodingerPenguin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: low-level Ogg Vorbis or mp3 playing software for embedded ap Reply with quote

After having the screen break on a nice little Toshiba Portege 3010CT notebook, I decided that it could make a brilliant ogg/mp3 player - and it is small enough to be easily installed into a car. I am working through various parts of this project, including a character LCD display that could be driven from the parallel or serial ports, but I would appreciate ideas on the software side.

I know of mpg123, mplayer, mpfc, xmms and a few other graphical music playing programs. However, I need to find non-graphical utilities that can play ogg vorbis and mp3 audio files. I thought mpfc would be ideal, but it has an interface built into it. Does anyone know if it is possible to directly access the ogg decoder without using the mpfc curses interface?

What I really want is a simple utility that can be called from a parent program (either shell script, c++ or perl - I haven't worked that side of it out yet). Does anybody know of such a utility for ogg files (I think mpg123 is the sort of thing I want, and it plays mp3 files)?

At the moment my idea is to write a program that recieves the input and drives the output to the LCD module. If I can find the appropriate audio playback utility, I could then run it from within this core program. The reason that I am planning on writing this core program is so that I can have control over the operation of the LCD screen. If anyone has a better idea then I am happy to hear about it.
slashdevslashtty
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'oggdec' or 'ogg123' decode ogg vorbis media from the command line (no UI). They are available in the vorbis-tools package.
lbrtuk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people prefer madplay to mpg123. Lower resources and 100% fixed point. Better error correction too.
SchrodingerPenguin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks heaps, slashdevslashtty!

I just took a quick look at ogg123, and it looks to be exactly what I want. I think that ogginfo will be useful to me also.

lbrtuk, at the moment I am focussing on ogg vorbis media, but if I get much more into the mp3 side of things I will certainly look into madplay.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: