View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 31, 32, 33  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seppelrockt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't anybody help with the synaptics stuff in kernel?
P.S. The above link to the kernel .config doesn't work anymore.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seppelrockt wrote:
1. Were did you found information about the xorg Options for synaptics - I used the infos from the above xorg.conf but want to know waht the options mean.

- /usr/share/doc/synaptics-0.14.0/README.gz
- /usr/share/doc/synaptics-0.14.0/README.alps.gz
The latter also contains a note on how to disable hardware tapping.

seppelrockt wrote:
2. I can't find CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SYNAPTICS in my kernel config. How can I enable this in vanilla kernel 2.6.12rc4? Do I have to patch?

There is none. I think emerge synaptics is enough.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seppelrockt wrote:
Can't anybody help with the synaptics stuff in kernel?
P.S. The above link to the kernel .config doesn't work anymore.

Here's my xorg.conf. Hope it'll help:
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Touchpad"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
#    Option "Protocol"              "auto-dev"
    Option "Protocol"              "alps"
    Option "LeftEdge"              "120"
    Option "RightEdge"             "830"
    Option "TopEdge"               "120"
    Option "BottomEdge"            "650"
    Option "FingerLow"             "14"
    Option "FingerHigh"            "15"
    Option "MaxTapTime"            "180"
    Option "MaxTapMove"            "110"
    Option "EmulateMidButtonTime"  "75"
    Option "VertScrollDelta"       "20"
    Option "HorizScrollDelta"      "20"
    Option "MinSpeed"              "0.2"
    Option "MaxSpeed"              "0.5"
    Option "AccelFactor"           "0.15"
    Option "EdgeMotionMinZ"        "17"
    Option "EdgeMotionMaxZ"        "21"
    Option "EdgeMotionMinSpeed"    "30"
    Option "EdgeMotionMaxSpeed"    "35"
    Option "SHMConfig"             "on"
    Option "UpDownScrolling"       "1"
    Option "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier  "Simple Layout"
    Screen "DellLFP"
    InputDevice "Touchpad" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

I've just changed Protocol to Alps. I'll tell you when I have restart XOrg if it does work.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can tell you will want to keep Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"... Alps introduces some strange behaviour: clicking once is like double clicking and scrolling doesn't work. Acceleration is effective but it's not enough to bear it all :) .

EDIT: maybe I'll try with default settings instead of all these ones; we'll see...
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just tried Spock's new gensplash/vesa-tng patches for kernel 2.6.12... Now the bootsplash fades in just like Redmond's Fisher Price toy :D . Ok, I still have to find why I don't get my scrollbar working and why the text box background color seems inverted. But it's a nice start.

Warning: Vanilla sources specific.

- fbsplash-0.9.2-r2-2.6.12-rc3.patch
- vesafb-tng-0.9-rc6-r2-2.6.12-rc1.patch

You will have to unmask (masked, keyword) splashutils 1.1.9.x and recreate your splash screens if they were made with splashutils < 1.1.9.
seppelrockt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry VinzC but I needed a kernel config - I already have a dozen xorg.confs ;-)

But now everything is fine. I've finished my own xorg.conf and I only had to add evdev as modul to my kernel - seems like the info on how to get alps to work I found with google was a little outdated. Synaptics just relays on evdev and psmouse.

Well, my open questions section for today:

* I have the following error messages in xorg.log:
Code:
[EE] end of block range 0xec3f < begin 0xec40

Does anybody know how to fix this - VGA BIOS problem or what? Sylog shows MTRR errors as well.

* What xkbModel are you using (and why) and how can I find any information about my keyboard?

* Do you have any information about hor./vert. refresh rates of the screen?

@ VinzC: Does vesafb-tng and fbsplash work with the patches on 2.6.12rc4 vanilla? No more colorful restangles when switching to console?

EDIT: Does anybody have horizontal scrolling with the Alps Touchpad working? (New Day, new Gentoo tasks - TODAY: fvwm ;-) )
dschaus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
still haven't found the time to check stuff but maybe today... But at least I hope I can help with some questions posted already...

@seppelrockt:
the settings for the touchpad were from the page mentioned by me before:
http://wiki.splitbrain.org/lifebook-2.6

I just tried them and they worked. In this case I don't really care why, they just work. And yes, horizontal scrolling AND vertical srolling work really fine.

Next the .config file. I have no Idea why it was deleted from my server, might have been me with some sort of wild midnight-commander action ;) Now it's back online...

CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SYNAPTICS: I think that emerge synaptics is enough, too... But fyi, I used gentoo-sources-2.6.11-r8 (or something like that ;) ), maybe you should try them if vanilla-sources don't work...

Bios-Versions: Have you taken a look at dell's file-archive ? In the description of the Bios-Versions they tell you what they change, is there really a downgrade for the i915 written ? Almost cannot believe that...

@cytux: Ok, hope that the page helps and the program works ! And btw, if you find someone selling time, please tell me, I could need some, too ;)

So, maybe cu later !
Dave
RBJ1128
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dell Inspiron 6000 Reply with quote

Sejam wrote:
The Funky Pkunk wrote:
Sejam wrote:

Disks
Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) SATA Controller

This section caught me off guard at first since I didn't know that the hard drives were now using SATA interfaces in the laptop. The biggest notible difference is that the hard drive device is now at /dev/sda instead of what most people are used to as /dev/hda. The cdrom is at /dev/hdc (or /dev/cdrom or /dev/cdroms/cdrom0). In the kernel, I had to make sure that I enabled the driver for this which was:
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA=y
CONFIG_SCSI_ATA_PIIX=y
CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2XXX=y

Why the QLogic host adapter drivers? I haven't seen QLogic (or anything resembling it) in any lspci/dmesg output at all, and while configs and patches have been applied rather quickly lately in my search for a combination that will avail the lack of DMA on my dvd-rw drive, I seem to recall taking them out of the kernel and everything still running smooth and dandy (dvd-rw drive aside).

Edit: I removed them from the gentoo-r5 release and everything is working fine.

That was the first version of the config I made. You're right in that it can be removed. Really need to update the information since I've been through so many revisions and changes of most configuration files. Never did get the cdrom to work as a scsi drive yet.

I just got the Inspiron 6000 as a replacement for my Inspiron 8500 from Dell (my 8500 killed itself and Dell sent me a 6000 as a replacement). I am planning on blowing away EVERYTHING on the new laptop and installing Gentoo (most likely tomorrow). I have noticed a good bit of differences from my config files for the 8500. Could you post you latest config files so that I may get my clean install of Gentoo working fairly easily? If you don't want to post all of the files, could you please just email them to me at RBJ1128@charter.net? Thanks.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RBJ1128:
We need the exact configuration of your laptop: screen resolution, graphics adapter, SATA/ATA disk, WiFi/Bluetooth. Since Dell laptops do have many configuration possibilities, there's no point in providing config files if they don't match your hardware.
RBJ1128
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
RBJ1128:
We need the exact configuration of your laptop: screen resolution, graphics adapter, SATA/ATA disk, WiFi/Bluetooth. Since Dell laptops do have many configuration possibilities, there's no point in providing config files if they don't match your hardware.

Wireless Card: IPW2200
Onboard NIC: BCM4400
PCMCIA - Ricoh R/RL/5C476
CPU: Intel Centrino 1.5GhZ
RAM: 512MB DDR2
Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon X300
Screen Res.: Currently at 1920 x 1200 (in Windows)
IDE: I'm not sure if it is SATA or ATA, but it is an Intel 82801FBM Ultra ATA Storage - I will figure out if Gentoo sees it as SATA during the install.

Thanks.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can take a look at dschauss configuration files then. Do the prepare Sejam explained at the beginning of this thread about GCC. You can safely upgrade. As for the rest you can browse earlier posts in this forum.

You can also go there.
RBJ1128
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
You can take a look at dschauss configuration files then. Do the prepare Sejam explained at the beginning of this thread about GCC. You can safely upgrade. As for the rest you can browse earlier posts in this forum.

You can also go there.

Thanks.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seppelrockt wrote:
Sorry VinzC but I needed a kernel config - I already have a dozen xorg.confs ;-)

Hehe, no problem.

seppelrockt wrote:
* I have the following error messages in xorg.log:
Code:
[EE] end of block range 0xec3f < begin 0xec40

Does anybody know how to fix this - VGA BIOS problem or what? Sylog shows MTRR errors as well.

I too have such errors.
Code:
$ dmesg | grep -i mtrr
mtrr: v2.0 (20020519)
mtrr: base(0xc0020000) is not aligned on a size(0x834000) boundary

seppelrockt wrote:
* What xkbModel are you using (and why) and how can I find any information about my keyboard?

Code:
Option      "XkbRules"      "xorg"

I found natural to use it for a Dell laptop though I have (read) no information on it.

seppelrockt wrote:
* Do you have any information about hor./vert. refresh rates of the screen?

If you're using ModeLines in xorg.conf you can check gtf results.

seppelrockt wrote:
@ VinzC: Does vesafb-tng and fbsplash work with the patches on 2.6.12rc4 vanilla? No more colorful restangles when switching to console?

I don't know for I'm using fbsplash for the moment. With fbsplash the progress bar works but I get a text area as if its background color were inverted (bitwise not). At least this is how I interpret this. I'm using theme emergence. The blue border draws correctly but the rectangular text area is of a very light pink, close to white. I'll try vesa-tng in a moment. See you in a short while :)

EDIT: well, sadly, it doesn't work yet. I get a perfect framebuffer console - i.e. background in the text area is not inverted - but
1. the scrollbar is completely corrupted
2. switching back to text consoles corrupts the text buffer, as previously.

seppelrockt wrote:
EDIT: Does anybody have horizontal scrolling with the Alps Touchpad working? (New Day, new Gentoo tasks - TODAY: fvwm ;-) )

Yup. Nothing special about this one. As soon as I included input events interface in the kernel, Alps touchpad worked perfectly, horz and vert scrolling too. Note horizontal scrolling depends on applications, e.g. Firefox uses horz scrolling to go forward/backward in the history.
RBJ1128
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:

You can also go there.

Currently I am installing Gentoo on the new Inspiron 6000. I have run into more problems with this installation than I did with my Inspiron 8500, and that was my first time with Gentoo. Can someone let me see what they are using for their use flags?

My use flags are: "-kde -hardened X a52 aac aalib acpi alsa audiofile avi bcmath bzlib cdb cdparanoia cdr cups divx4linux doc dvd dvdr dvdread emacs encode eds ethereal fbcon flac foomatic ftp gif gnome gnutils gphoto2 gpm gtk gtk2 gtkhtml icc iee1394 imagemagick inifile java jikes jpeg libcaca libg++ mad mcal mozilla mp3 mpeg ncurses nocd opengl oss pcmcia pdflib perl python samba slp spell tiff truetype unicode usb vcd videos wifi win32codecs xmms x86".

I am running into a problem when I emerge x11-wm/metacity. It is complaining about not having an XML Parser for perl. I have installed "libxml-perl" to try to correct this, but to no avail. I would appreciate any assistance in this. Thanks.
seppelrockt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot directly help you, maybe you should first sort your USE flags a little!

The x86 entry doesn't belong into the USE="" section of make.conf, please ckeck if you have it in the KEYWORDS sectrion and delete it from USE.

Than, there are general and more spezific USE flags - the general one belong into the make.conf (and are listed in /usr/portage/profiles/make.desc) the other are only set for a handful of apps thus are written down in the /etc/portage/package.use for each app, e.g. win32codecs for mplayer... (Most of) This flags are decribed in /usr/portage/profiles/make.use.desc.

Next check the bugzilla if there are any bugs reprted about the ebuilds that might brake your install, if not give us a more detailed description of your system - hope this helps a little ...
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RBJ1128 wrote:
I am running into a problem when I emerge x11-wm/metacity. It is complaining about not having an XML Parser for perl. I have installed "libxml-perl" to try to correct this, but to no avail. I would appreciate any assistance in this. Thanks.

Try USE="xml xml2" emerge -av --newuse world.
RBJ1128
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
RBJ1128 wrote:

Try USE="xml xml2" emerge -av --newuse world.

Thanks. I'll give that a try. Right now it is re-compiling about 40 different packages, including X. So that is giong to take a while. I'll come back here when I know something new. Should I add the xml and xml2 flags to my make.conf?

Last edited by RBJ1128 on Mon May 23, 2005 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RBJ1128 wrote:
Thanks. I'll give that a try. Right now it is re-compiling about 40 different packages, including X. So that is giong to take a while. I'll come back here when I know something new.

FYI here are my USE flags:
Code:
USE="nptl mmx mmx2 sse sse2 acpi -apm i8x0 threads ithreads directfb fbcon avi exif tiff jpeg gif ffmpeg divx4linux xvid win32codecs xml xml2 nls ssl cdr dvd acpi usb alsa bluetooth wifi xmms ieee1394 crypt berkdb crypt gpm v4l tcpd gpm pam -ipv6 gnome gtk gtk2 -kde -qt -arts -fortran -java -junit"

Also use -qt if you don't want KDE.
RBJ1128
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
RBJ1128 wrote:
Thanks. I'll give that a try. Right now it is re-compiling about 40 different packages, including X. So that is giong to take a while. I'll come back here when I know something new.

FYI here are my USE flags:
Code:
USE="nptl mmx mmx2 sse sse2 acpi -apm i8x0 threads ithreads directfb fbcon avi exif tiff jpeg gif ffmpeg divx4linux xvid win32codecs xml xml2 nls ssl cdr dvd acpi usb alsa bluetooth wifi xmms ieee1394 crypt berkdb crypt gpm v4l tcpd gpm pam -ipv6 gnome gtk gtk2 -kde -qt -arts -fortran -java -junit"

Also use -qt if you don't want KDE.

I noticed that you used the "mmx" and "mmx2" use flag. Is that needed for the i6000? I have a 1.5 Centrino. Sorry for the hardware question, I prefer AMD myself, but I had no say in this laptop.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right... don't know why I set these ones :?
Code:
# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 13
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.50GHz
stepping        : 8
cpu MHz         : 1496.591
cache size      : 2048 KB
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx est tm2

I'm not sure it's required. They're said supported but disabled (from mplayer). I think I should remove them.

EDIT: argh... foolish me! not them but only mmx2!

Last edited by VinzC on Mon May 23, 2005 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
RBJ1128
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
Code:
# cat /proc/cpuinfo
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx est tm2

I'm not sure it's required. They're said supported but disabled (from mplayer). I think I should remove them.

Thanks.
RBJ1128
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
Code:
# cat /proc/cpuinfo

EDIT: argh... foolish me! not them but only mmx2!

When trying to install Gentoo I get the following error when compiling x11-libs/gtk+-2.6.4-r1:
grep: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.5/libstdc++.la: No such file or directory
/bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.5/libstdc++.la: No such file or directory
libtool: link: `/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.5/libstdc++.la' is not a valid libtool archive
make[4]: *** [libpixbufloader-jpeg.la] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gtk+-2.6.4-r1/work/gtk+-2.6.4/gdk-pixbuf'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gtk+-2.6.4-r1/work/gtk+-2.6.4/gdk-pixbuf'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gtk+-2.6.4-r1/work/gtk+-2.6.4/gdk-pixbuf'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gtk+-2.6.4-r1/work/gtk+-2.6.4'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: x11-libs/gtk+-2.6.4-r1 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 84, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

These are my current use flags:
USE="-kde -hardened -qt X acpi alsa audiofile avi bzlib cdb cdparanoia cdr cups divx4linux dvd dvdr dvdread emacs encode esd fbcon flac foomatic ftp gif gnome gnutils gphoto2 gpm gtk gtk2 gtkhtml imagemagick inifile java jikes jpeg mozilla mp3 mpeg ncurses nocd opengl oss pcmcia pdflib perl python samba slp spell tiff truetype unicode usb vcd videos wifi xml xml2 xmms"

Any ideas?
AlexCPU
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RBJ1128 wrote:
When trying to install Gentoo I get the following error when compiling x11-libs/gtk+-2.6.4-r1:
grep: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.5/libstdc++.la: No such file or directory
/bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.5/libstdc++.la: No such file or directory
libtool: link: `/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.5/libstdc++.la' is not a valid libtool archive
make[4]: *** [libpixbufloader-jpeg.la] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gtk+-2.6.4-r1/work/gtk+-2.6.4/gdk-pixbuf'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gtk+-2.6.4-r1/work/gtk+-2.6.4/gdk-pixbuf'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gtk+-2.6.4-r1/work/gtk+-2.6.4/gdk-pixbuf'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gtk+-2.6.4-r1/work/gtk+-2.6.4'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: x11-libs/gtk+-2.6.4-r1 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 84, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

These are my current use flags:
USE="-kde -hardened -qt X acpi alsa audiofile avi bzlib cdb cdparanoia cdr cups divx4linux dvd dvdr dvdread emacs encode esd fbcon flac foomatic ftp gif gnome gnutils gphoto2 gpm gtk gtk2 gtkhtml imagemagick inifile java jikes jpeg mozilla mp3 mpeg ncurses nocd opengl oss pcmcia pdflib perl python samba slp spell tiff truetype unicode usb vcd videos wifi xml xml2 xmms"

Any ideas?

I think I've seen that before, are you using GCC 3.4.x ? as the above quote shows it looking for files under gcc3.3.5, which presumably don't exist after you upgraded. There were some solutions on the forums when I had this before (gcc3.3.4 -> gcc3.3.5), but the easiest solution (not the most elegant) is to just symlink gcc 3.3.5 to gcc 3.4.x, then with any luck it should just work fine.

Alex
Anterion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: System lockups with SATA ATAPI Reply with quote

Hi folks!

First of all thanks to everyone on this thread. Helped me a lot to get the best out of Gentoo on my Inspiron 6000.

I just have one unresolved issue that causes trouble. Whenever I follow this SATA hint

Code:

in /usr/src/linux/include/linux/libata.h change
 #undef ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI /* define to enable ATAPI support */
 to
 #define ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI /* define to enable ATAPI support */

my DVD-RW device shows up in k3b but I get occasional system lockups. Sometimes a minute after bootup, sometimes after more than one hour.
The system just freezes. MP3 playbacks stop, the mouse on X doesn't move anymore and keyboard isn't responding anymore. Only pushing the power button for several seconds turns off the laptop.

When I use a kernel compiled without the ATAPI support for SATA, then my DVD-RW isn't available for writing but the system is rock solid stable.

So far I compiled the kernel with gcc 3.3.5 and 3.4.3-20050110. No difference between those.

Here is my current "emerge --info" output.

Code:

Portage 2.0.51.19 (default-linux/x86/2005.0, gcc-3.4.3-20050110, glibc-2.3.5-r0, 2.6.11-gentoo-r9 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.11-gentoo-r9 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.6.12
Python:              dev-lang/python-2.3.5 [2.3.5 (#1, May 10 2005, 17:39:04)]
dev-lang/python:     2.3.5
sys-apps/sandbox:    [Not Present]
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.59-r6, 2.13
sys-devel/automake:  1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.5, 1.4_p6, 1.6.3, 1.9.5
sys-devel/binutils:  2.15.92.0.2-r7
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.16
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.8.1-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-march=pentium-m -O3 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/env /usr/kde/3.3/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/shutdown /usr/kde/3.4/env /usr/kde/3.4/share/config /usr/kde/3.4/shutdown /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/X11/xkb /usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/pref /usr/share/config /usr/share/texmf/dvipdfm/config/ /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/ /usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/config/ /usr/share/texmf/tex/platex/config/ /usr/share/texmf/xdvi/ /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=i686 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs autoconfig ccache distlocks sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/gentoo/ ftp://pandemonium.tiscali.de/pub/gentoo/"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 X a52 aac acpi alsa apache2 apm arts avi berkdb bitmap-fonts bzlib canna cdparanoia cdr cjk crypt cups curl doc dv dvd dvdr dvdread emboss encode esd fam ffmpeg flac foomaticdb fortran freetype freewn ftp gcj gdbm gif gimpprint glut gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 ieee1394 imagemagick imlib ipv6 jack java jpeg jpeg2k junit kde libg++ libwww mad mikmod mmx motif mozilla mp3 mpeg mythtv ncurses ogg oggvorbis opengl oss pam pcmcia pdflib perl png python qt quicktime readline real rtc samba scanner sdl spell sse sse2 ssl svg svga tcltk tcpd tetex theora tiff truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts usb vorbis wavelan wifi xine xml2 xmms xv xvid zlib userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CBUILD, CTARGET, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS

Anyone got some ideas what's wrong? Or maybe knows a workaround how to get the DVD-RW running without the SATA ATAPI hint?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Bye
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: System lockups with SATA ATAPI Reply with quote

Anterion wrote:
my DVD-RW device shows up in k3b but I get occasional system lockups. Sometimes a minute after bootup, sometimes after more than one hour.
The system just freezes. MP3 playbacks stop, the mouse on X doesn't move anymore and keyboard isn't responding anymore. Only pushing the power button for several seconds turns off the laptop.

When I use a kernel compiled without the ATAPI support for SATA, then my DVD-RW isn't available for writing but the system is rock solid stable.

So far I compiled the kernel with gcc 3.3.5 and 3.4.3-20050110. No difference between those.

Try Vanilla sources. I have kernel 2.6.12-rc4 and it runs fine. I think for now Gentoo sources cannot be used safely enough on a Dell Inspiron 6000. If you want a bootsplash screen, my advice is vanilla sources up to 2.6.10.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 6 of 33

Jump to: