Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 31, 32, 33  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueShark
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

is here anybody who has access to a second linux machine. In https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-364217.html dresdn said, that at his Insprion 9300 'vbetool post' segfaults after suspend to ram. When Insprion 6000 is able to be connected by ssh, it will give us a hint how to make suspend to ram work.

Regards BlueShark
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Kernel patch for random freeze Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
Has anyone succeeded in patching recent vanilla or suspend2 sources with these patches that were mentionned by Anterion and mhanski? I can get nothing but rejects when I attempt to use 00_kernel-2.6.12.4.patch. Which ones do I have to apply in fact? All or just the first one?

hey VinzC,

all the libata patches work fine for me, linux-2.6.12.2 vanilla sources. i cannot, however, get the kernel-2.6.12.4 patch to work on the vanilla 2.6.12.4 sources (these sources are not in portage, i had to get them from kernel.org).

as far as i can tell, those patches are pretty good. my lockups have stopped, but my laptop seems more finicky when trying to suspend to disk, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. without those patches i think suspend to disk worked better, but the system would lockup.

the author on that page (maybe we should send him an email?) removed the description of the patches, but if memory serves...

libata_atapi: gets cdrom working
libata_error_handling: stops the random lockups
libata_suspend: make suspend to disk a little better.
libata_passthru: allows you to use hdparm on sata drives.

since i don't use hdparm (i don't really know what i should set for this drive, and i know that hdparm is pretty scary so i don't mess with it unless i know what is going on), i think that i won't apply this patch and see how my suspend works.

hope that helps.

j
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in terms of suspend to disk, would it help to increase the size of the swap? how does one quickly find the size of the swap partition.

j
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
in terms of suspend to disk, would it help to increase the size of the swap? how does one quickly find the size of the swap partition.

According to the howto: RAM size + 30%. But it was before LZH was introduced. As a general rule of thumb, I leave twice the RAM size for small RAM'd systems (say <= 128MB) otherwise equal to the RAM size.

OTOH sizes fdisk applies to partitions are always a bit greater than requested, e.g. 32 can actually be 38 or 40MB.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Kernel patch for random freeze Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
hey VinzC,

all the libata patches work fine for me, linux-2.6.12.2 vanilla sources. i cannot, however, get the kernel-2.6.12.4 patch to work on the vanilla 2.6.12.4 sources (these sources are not in portage, i had to get them from kernel.org).

as far as i can tell, those patches are pretty good. my lockups have stopped, but my laptop seems more finicky when trying to suspend to disk, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. without those patches i think suspend to disk worked better, but the system would lockup.

the author on that page (maybe we should send him an email?) removed the description of the patches, but if memory serves...

since i don't use hdparm (i don't really know what i should set for this drive, and i know that hdparm is pretty scary so i don't mess with it unless i know what is going on), i think that i won't apply this patch and see how my suspend works.

hope that helps.

j

Quite a lot, thanks. Actually I've applied libata_error_handling to suspend2 sources 2.6.12-r4 and I must admit my lap' didn't freeze at all while I was using it - almost 8 hours. Before it froze after about 5 minutes.

I don't think kernel patches apply here as - still believe - they relate to unpatched kernel sources but I'm not sure. Note I've tried to patch vanilla sources and gentoo sources, no way.

I'll try libata_suspend soon I think for I never could get s2d work properly when logged on in Gnome.

Also note I've installed suspend2 sources and hibernate script on an IBM Thinkpad R40 and it went without a glitch. These laptops rock. Really. And I've had less troubles (almost none) with Gentoo than with any other distro (like Ubuntu, which I left quickly and Fedora Core 4, which I praticed one week long). Sorry for being off-topic but I felt I had to give myself away on this ;-).
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
juniper wrote:

According to the howto: RAM size + 30%. But it was before LZH was introduced. As a general rule of thumb, I leave twice the RAM size for small RAM'd systems (say <= 128MB) otherwise equal to the RAM size.

OTOH sizes fdisk applies to partitions are always a bit greater than requested, e.g. 32 can actually be 38 or 40MB.

yeah, fdisk just gives useless units.

Code:

fdisk -s /dev/sda6
fdisk -su /dev/sda6

wouldn't mind mega bytes or something. anyways, that looks like its about a meg.

i have 512 megs of ram, so from what you are saying, that should be good.

well, i wasn't using LZF before, maybe that will help. any other hints?

also, are you having trouble getting swsusp2 working? i can tell you how i did it, in detail if you wish.

let me know.

j
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Kernel patch for random freeze Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
juniper wrote:
hey VinzC,

hope that helps.

j

Quite a lot, thanks. Actually I've applied libata_error_handling to suspend2 sources 2.6.12-r4 and I must admit my lap' didn't freeze at all while I was using it - almost 8 hours. Before it froze after about 5 minutes.

I don't think kernel patches apply here as - still believe - they relate to unpatched kernel sources but I'm not sure. Note I've tried to patch vanilla sources and gentoo sources, no way.

I'll try libata_suspend soon I think for I never could get s2d work properly when logged on in Gnome.

Also note I've installed suspend2 sources and hibernate script on an IBM Thinkpad R40 and it went without a glitch. These laptops rock. Really. And I've had less troubles (almost none) with Gentoo than with any other distro (like Ubuntu, which I left quickly and Fedora Core 4, which I praticed one week long). Sorry for being off-topic but I felt I had to give myself away on this ;-).

i had problems with the gentoo kernel. try the vanilla sources.

my suspend 2 worked right out of the box, essentially.

can anyone who has a stable, flawlessly working s2d post their hibernate.conf?

j
seppelrockt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Just an idea at 1:30 am Reply with quote

I got an idea how we might use splashutils bootsplash in full 1280x800 by using good old vesafb instead of vesafb-tng (which still produces to much garbage in my opinion). What about setting the framebuffer to 1280x1024 (a standard vesa mode) and then using a bootsplash theme that is 1280x1024 but is configured to have "black borders" above and below the hole bootsplash stuff that is inside a frame of 1280x800. This would then be a little bis as if you crop the borders of a 16:9 movie.

The only problem is: does framebuffer when it is set to higher res than the native one and how can I find out how this is aligned to the screen, e.g. when aligned on the upper left corner of the screen I would have the 224 "garbage/black lines" on the lower side of the screen, if it's centered I have 112 lines on the upper and another 112 lines on the lower side and so on.

Men, imagine this would work! Some feedback?
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:

Well, you are much more advanced than I am :) .

juniper wrote:
also, are you having trouble getting swsusp2 working? i can tell you how i did it, in detail if you wish.

let me know.

Thanks a lot. Basically my main problems are Xorg, when gnome-session active and the broadcom network card. Till now I got a black screen if:
- I was logged on in Gnome before hibernating
- I run hibernate and resume
- I switch from a text console to X.

But there have been lots of updates to portage inbetween. So I can't tell if this works right now. As I've made other tests with the Thinkpad I think I could even port the same methdology to the Dell Inspiron. The trick was to unload *all* modules before hibernate. The hibernate-script would take care of resuming and re-loading modules gracefully.

Now with the bc44 module... I don't know if I must compile it in the kernel or as a module for s2d to work properly, i.e. to get the card work back again (get its IP from the network aso) after resume. I made a few attempts were I had to restart /etc/init.d/net.eth1 manually even if I told hibernate.conf to restart it. But again this was a couple of emerge sync before ;) .

The challenge lies between ifplugd and hibernate. The former doesn't re-activate the NIC after the cable is plugged back in; the latter probably requires bc44 to be present as a module. This is the trickiest point I'd like to solve. But I don't have enough time to check that unfortunately.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Just an idea at 1:30 am Reply with quote

seppelrockt wrote:
I got an idea how we might use splashutils bootsplash in full 1280x800 by using good old vesafb instead of vesafb-tng (which still produces to much garbage in my opinion). What about setting the framebuffer to 1280x1024 (a standard vesa mode) and then using a bootsplash theme that is 1280x1024 but is configured to have "black borders" above and below the hole bootsplash stuff that is inside a frame of 1280x800. This would then be a little bis as if you crop the borders of a 16:9 movie.

The only problem is: does framebuffer when it is set to higher res than the native one and how can I find out how this is aligned to the screen, e.g. when aligned on the upper left corner of the screen I would have the 224 "garbage/black lines" on the lower side of the screen, if it's centered I have 112 lines on the upper and another 112 lines on the lower side and so on.

I don't expect it to work, I'm afraid. I'd rather use a (non-standard) video mode number that reflects the true resolution for I'm almost sure there is one, hidden in the video BIOS.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
juniper wrote:

Well, you are much more advanced than I am :) .

juniper wrote:

let me know.

Thanks a lot. Basically my main problems are Xorg, when gnome-session active and the broadcom network card. Till now I got a black screen if:
- I was logged on in Gnome before hibernating
- I run hibernate and resume
- I switch from a text console to X.

But there have been lots of updates to portage inbetween. So I can't tell if this works right now. As I've made other tests with the Thinkpad I think I could even port the same methdology to the Dell Inspiron. The trick was to unload *all* modules before hibernate. The hibernate-script would take care of resuming and re-loading modules gracefully.

Now with the bc44 module... I don't know if I must compile it in the kernel or as a module for s2d to work properly, i.e. to get the card work back again (get its IP from the network aso) after resume. I made a few attempts were I had to restart /etc/init.d/net.eth1 manually even if I told hibernate.conf to restart it. But again this was a couple of emerge sync before ;) .

The challenge lies between ifplugd and hibernate. The former doesn't re-activate the NIC after the cable is plugged back in; the latter probably requires bc44 to be present as a module. This is the trickiest point I'd like to solve. But I don't have enough time to check that unfortunately.

VinzC,

well, i think i solved my suspend problem. i was using the libata_suspend patch from that site and i think that was for suspend 1 and i am using suspend 2. anyways, i now have a kernel that only has the libata_atapi and libata_error patches and it has been suspending just fine (and no crashes). I have only been running this kernel for about 8 hours, but it has been working perfectly.

i have b44 compiled as a module.

i don't know why are you having these problems with X. Hmmmmmmmm. all i did was emerge hibernate-script and essentially use the stock script. i will post mine now, maybe it will help. also, can you elaborate on your problems? does it hibernate and not wake up, or not hibernate at all? also,you are talking about "hibernate" right? not "sleep"? are you using suspend 2? that is the one that worked right away for me. i patched vanilla-2.6.12.2 with the suspend 2 sources from the suspend home site.

Code:

# Example hibernate.conf file. Adapt to your own tastes.
# Options are not case sensitive.
#
# Run "hibernate -h" for help on the configuration items.

##############################################################################
### Choose your Suspend method. You currently have 3 choices:
###
###    suspend2            Software Suspend 2 (requires kernel patches from
###                        http://www.suspend2.net/)
###
###    sysfs_power_state   Uses /sys/power/state to suspend (activates pmdisk
###                        on kernels < 2.6.8, or vanilla swsusp otherwise).
###
###    acpi_sleep          Uses /proc/acpi/sleep to activate swsusp, or other
###                        ACPI sleep state supported by your machine.
###

### suspend2 (for Software Suspend 2)
UseSuspend2 yes
# Reboot no
# EnableEscape yes
# DefaultConsoleLevel 1
Compressor lzf
# Encryptor none
# ImageSizeLimit 200
## useful for initrd usage:
SuspendDevice swap:/dev/sda6
# LoadSuspendModules suspend_swap suspend_lzf suspend_text
# UnloadSuspendModulesAfterResume yes
## Powerdown method - 3 for suspend-to-RAM, 4 for ACPI S4 sleep, 5 for poweroff
# PowerdownMethod 5
## If you experience hangs on resume due to write caching, try this:
# AsyncIOLimit 128
## Any other /proc/software_suspend setting can be set like so:
# ProcSetting expected_compression 50
## Or traditionally like this:
# Suspend2AllSettings 0 0 2056 65535 5
## Or even from the results of hibernate --save-settings with this:
# Suspend2AllSettingsFile /etc/hibernate/suspend-settings.conf
## For filewriter:
# FilewriterLocation /suspend_file 1000
# VerifyFilewriterResume2 yes

### sysfs_power_state
## To use /sys/power/state to suspend your machine (which may offer
## suspend-to-RAM, suspend-to-disk, standby, etc) comment out all the options
## above for Software Suspend 2, below for acpi_sleep, and uncomment this line.
## You may replace mem with any one of the states from "cat /sys/power/state"
#UseSysfsPowerState mem
#PowerdownMethod shutdown

### acpi_sleep
## To use ACPI to suspend your machine (via /proc/acpi/sleep), comment out
## all the options above for Software Suspend 2 and sysfs, and uncomment this
## line. The number refers to the ACPI sleep state - 3 is suspend-to-RAM and
## 4 is suspend-to-disk.
#UseACPISleep 3

### Some global settings

Verbosity 0
LogFile /var/log/hibernate.log
LogVerbosity 1
# AlwaysForce yes
# AlwaysKill yes
# HibernateVT 15
# Distribution debian (or fedora/gentoo/mandrake/redhat/slackware/suse)
# XDisplay :0

### Scriptlets
###   Scriptlets provide support for doing all sorts of things before and after
###   suspending. The defaults settings here should work for most people, but
###   you may wish to edit these to taste. Consult "hibernate -h" for help on
###   the configuration settings.

### bootsplash
## If you use bootsplash, also enabling SwitchToTextMode is recommended if
## you use X, otherwise you may end up with a garbled X display.
# Bootsplash on
# BootsplashConfig /etc/bootsplash/default/config/bootsplash-1024x768.cfg

### clock
SaveClock restore-only

### devices
# IncompatibleDevices /dev/dsp /dev/video*

### diskcache
# DisableWriteCacheOn /dev/hda

### fbsplash (enable SwitchToTextMode if you use this)
# FBSplash on
# FBSplashTheme suspend2

### filesystems
# Unmount /nfsshare /windows /mnt/sambaserver
# UnmountFSTypes smbfs nfs
# UnmountGraceTime 1

hope that helps.

by the way, in the file i just posted, i wanted to turn up the logging level. do you know how to do that? i see the three lines

Code:

Verbosity 0
LogFile /var/log/hibernate.log
LogVerbosity 1

i figure i should raise/lower either the Verbosity and/or the LogVerbosity, but i don't know what number i should put there. 10? 100? 2?

thanks.

j
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juniper,

I'm using suspend2 through suspend2 sources (kernel sources with suspend2 patches and some more). My problem was about X on resuming from hibernate *and* as I had opened a gnome session *and* the session was still open while suspending.

For your module stuff, there are options in hibernate.conf: UnloadModules, LoadModules, GentooModulesAutoLoad plus some others. I think you might have an older hibernate.conf file. Newer ones include even more flexible options about fbsplash (supersedes text UI and is absolutely great, you should try it; take care of setting verbosity to 0 then):
Code:
### modules
# UnloadModules snd_via82cxxx usb-ohci
# UnloadAllModules yes
UnloadBlacklistedModules yes
LoadModules auto
# LoadModulesFromFile /etc/modules

### modules-gentoo
# GentooModulesAutoload yes

I'm using that version of suspend2 sources (plus the UI utilities):
Code:
# qpkg -I -v suspend
sys-kernel/suspend2-sources-2.6.12-r5 *
sys-apps/suspend2-userui-0.5.1 *

seppelrockt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
seppelrockt wrote:
Any pointers how to get suspend-to-RAM to work? I'm very new on this topic... I don't care about suspend-to-disk cause I don't have enough space on my HD for an enormous swap and it's a securety problem as well.

Enormous? You should at least have the same amount of RAM plus 30% for suspend-2-disk. Or don't you have any swap space at all?

For 1 GB Ram this is quite much (using 128MB right now for swap) and my 60 GB HD is nearly full already. I have 10 GB Windoze (for games, as long as xorg performance is bad on i915gm in 24bit) and ~25 GB data (photos, music, ...) - the rest is gentoo. I will rarely ever use Suspend to disk so one more GB for swap is not worth it.

VinzC wrote:
seppelrockt wrote:
Suspend-to-Ram give me a black screen after reboot.

Welcome :) .

What did you use for suspend2ram? Are the suspend2 kernel sources and patches an all the stuff mentioned in the last posts here only for hibernate aka suspend2disk or do I benefied from it for suspend2ram, too? Has anybody a working suspend2ram yet?

Thanks in advance!
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seppelrockt wrote:
What did you use for suspend2ram? Are the suspend2 kernel sources and patches an all the stuff mentioned in the last posts here only for hibernate aka suspend2disk or do I benefied from it for suspend2ram, too? Has anybody a working suspend2ram yet?

Thanks in advance!

Well, I didn't use suspend2ram on my i6k, only on the Thinkpad and it didn't work. Suspend2 sources are also for suspend2ram.
seppelrockt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Just an idea at 1:30 am Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
seppelrockt wrote:

I don't expect it to work, I'm afraid. I'd rather use a (non-standard) video mode number that reflects the true resolution for I'm almost sure there is one, hidden in the video BIOS.

Yeah, thank you for the pointer! My first attempt didn't work of cause, but I googled a little to find a way to get it to work with vesafb, when investigated in an SuSE live CD that I remebered to let me choose my 1280x800 from the grub menu and finaly the solution is very simple.

You can use the plain vesafb and pass vga=0x364 to your grub kernel line for 1280x800 and 16bit. That's all! Works perfectly together with gensplash and xorg, I removed the VBERestore from xorg.conf as well cause it is not needed anymore. Enjoy a clean console! Ah, sorry for those who have an even higher wide screen resolution - you still have to find your vga= statement. But I'am pretty sure there is one cause I found vga= arguments for 1600x1200, too. Happy googeling or maybe better, try it with a live CD from SuSE, choose your resolution from the grub menu and look at dmesg within the livecd.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
Juniper,

I'm using suspend2 through suspend2 sources (kernel sources with suspend2 patches and some more). My problem was about X on resuming from hibernate *and* as I had opened a gnome session *and* the session was still open while suspending.

For your module stuff, there are options in hibernate.conf: UnloadModules, LoadModules, GentooModulesAutoLoad plus some others. I think you might have an older hibernate.conf file. Newer ones include even more flexible options about fbsplash (supersedes text UI and is absolutely great, you should try it; take care of setting verbosity to 0 then):
Code:
### modules
# UnloadModules snd_via82cxxx usb-ohci
# UnloadAllModules yes
UnloadBlacklistedModules yes
LoadModules auto
# LoadModulesFromFile /etc/modules

### modules-gentoo
# GentooModulesAutoload yes

I'm using that version of suspend2 sources (plus the UI utilities):
Code:
# qpkg -I -v suspend
sys-kernel/suspend2-sources-2.6.12-r5 *
sys-apps/suspend2-userui-0.5.1 *

hmm, i am using the vanilla sources-2.6.12.2, not the gentoo suspend sources. i manually patched the kernel with the suspend 2 patches from

www.suspend2.net

however, when i was using the suspend2 sources, suspend did work. the problem was the random lockups.
odd, i can suspend from any wm, x or no x (for your info, i use gnome as well).
by, the way, do you have an answer for my log verbosity question?

thanks for the module info. i thought i removed that from the post (i saw the stuff in hibernate.conf, just a little too slow :roll: )

j
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seppelrockt wrote:
Any pointers how to get suspend-to-RAM to work? I'm very new on this topic... I don't care about suspend-to-disk cause I don't have enough space on my HD for an enormous swap and it's a securety problem as well. Suspend-to-Ram give me a black screen after reboot.

i have a friend with an dell i6000 and he has suspend to ram working. he also has a nice webpage explaining it.

http://socrates.homelinux.org/index.php?page=DellInspiron6000

however, i have not gotten it working. i followed his page and no dice. in fact, he even came over and played with my laptop and couldn't get it working. i gave up in the end.

anyways, it may work for you. if it does, do tell.

j
seppelrockt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problems with i8k and ipw2200 modules!

I don't know what happend but the i8k module can not be loaded anymore on my machine and ipw2200 doesn't work either. This is all cause it seems like the settings in /etc/modules.d/<modulename> are not properly grabed by modules-update or something. i8k doens't load without the "options i8k force=1" and ipw2200-1.0.6 needs the "hwcryto=0" option. They are all properly written to /etc/modules.conf but not to /etc/modprobe.conf - this file is empty (only some lines saying it is set by modules-update). When I manualy enter the above options here everything works. Can somebody help me an tell what his /etc/modprobe.conf looks like?

EDIT: Solved and my mistake - see this post.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got suspend to ram working!!!

here are the steps

get the vanilla-2.6.12.2 sources.

Code:

emerge =vanilla-sources-2.6.12.2

get the kernel patches from here

http://rtr.ca/dell_i9300/kernel/

the four patches i applied are

1) libata_atapi # gets the cdrom working
2) libata_error_handling # stops lockups
3) libata_suspend # enables sleep
4) libata_passthru # allows use of hdparm

i applied those four patches (but i am not using hdparm right now)

apply the patches by doing the following. put the patches in /usr/src. make sure that you have a symlink from linux to linux-2.6.12.2

Code:

cd /usr/src
rm linux
ln -s linux-2.6.12.2 linux

now apply the patches

Code:

patch -p0 < the-patch

do that for all the patches. you may see some warnings, but no errors

i used the config file from the following link

http://socrates.homelinux.org/utils/newton-kernel.config

put the config file in /usr/src/linux-2.6.12.2 and run 'make oldconfig'

you will have to answer some questions. i cranked up the kernel debugging, but you can probably answer 'no' to everything.

compile and install the kernel.

make sure you have fgconsole, vbetool and sync; they are in the packages kbd, vbetool and coreutils respectively.

put the following script somewhere (i have it in /usr/local/sbin/suspendram)

Code:

#!/bin/sh

FGCONSOLE=/usr/bin/fgconsole
MODPROBE=/sbin/modprobe
VBETOOL=/usr/sbin/vbetool
CHVT=/usr/bin/chvt
SYNC=/usr/bin/sync

# determine current console number:
currentvt=`$FGCONSOLE`

# switch away from X11, to avoid touchpad lockup on resume
#if [ ! "$currentvt" = "12" ]; then
#        $CHVT 12
#fi

# unload usb modules
$MODPROBE -r usb-storage
$MODPROBE -r usbhid
$MODPROBE -r uhci-hcd
$MODPROBE -r ac
# go into standby
$SYNC; $SYNC
echo -n mem >/sys/power/state

# emerge from standby on resume

# reinitialize video to get text console working again on resume
$VBETOOL post

# reload usb modules
$MODPROBE uhci-hcd
$MODPROBE usbhid
$MODPROBE ac

# switch back to original console/X11 screen
#if [ ! "$currentvt" = "12" ]; then
#        $CHVT 7
#fi
# to ensure the screen is not garbled;  switch to vterm 12 and back.
$CHVT 12;
$CHVT $currentvt

the weird comments are what my friend had and when he got suspend to ram working. from some reason, his script didn't work for me, so i needed to modify it. if anyone knows why his script causes problems, please let me know. i particular, i think that first "if" statement was the culprit. Note: i would try to suspend from X first (i am using gnome and it works).

execute the script.

i *think* that is it.

J
seppelrockt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a reason why you use vanilla 2.6.12.2 instead of the (stable in portage) 2.6.12.5? Do you know whether it doesn't work with the new one? Thanks for all the work done so far!
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
by, the way, do you have an answer for my log verbosity question?

VinzC wrote:
...take care of setting verbosity to 0 then...

I had put a hint in the message :) . Verbosity 0 means no verbose message at all.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seppelrockt wrote:
Is there a reason why you use vanilla 2.6.12.2 instead of the (stable in portage) 2.6.12.5? Do you know whether it doesn't work with the new one? Thanks for all the work done so far!

no, i haven't tried the new vanilla 2.6.12.5, it might work there.

i believe the author of the patches say they work on 2.6.12.4 kernel, so i assume they work on that one, but he makes no mention of the 2.6.12.5 kernel.

i did, however, try the patches on recent gentoo-sources and that DEFINITELY did NOT work (i forgot which gentoo source, but it was within the last copule of months).

give it a try on those vanilla sources.

incidentally, i am pretty sure that the patch libata_suspend does not play well with suspend2 for suspend to disk (i tried that and i had a VERY buggy suspend 2) however, i just enabled suspend 1 in the kernel after applying that patch and it seems to work. thus, it appears that both sleep and suspend 1 -to-disk work. which, i have to say, is really sweet. i have, basically, everything working and stable with this laptop now, so i am pretty happy. i think it is a great machine.(except some minor issues like getting Fn+F10 ejecting the disk, i will have it one day god dammit!)

j
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
hmm, i am using the vanilla sources-2.6.12.2, not the gentoo suspend sources. i manually patched the kernel with the suspend 2 patches from

www.suspend2.net

Which is exactly what suspend2 sources are. They are plain vanilla based plus patches for suspend, inotify and framebuffer consoles.

juniper wrote:
however, when i was using the suspend2 sources, suspend did work. the problem was the random lockups.

I got rid of random freezes when I applied libata_error_handling patch. The script your friend wrote does tasks hibernate.conf file supports too. It must be then possible to configure the options in that file to do the same.
seppelrockt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
thus, it appears that both sleep and suspend 1 -to-disk work. which, i have to say, is really sweet. i have, basically, everything working and stable with this laptop now, so i am pretty happy. i think it is a great machine.(except some minor issues like getting Fn+F10 ejecting the disk, i will have it one day god dammit!)

What is still on my To-Do-List is the WLAN LED, I mean switching it on when I switched WLAN on (Fn+F2) and off when I push Fn+F2 again. Now LED is supprted in the ipw2200 package - did anybody play with it jet? Jupiter, if you die in bordom one day (or even better before you do so), you can put your magic hands and brain on this ;-) Ha, just kidding!
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it appears that i spoke to soon, suspend to disk appears very unstable (sometimes works, sometimes doesn't). it always successfully suspends, but resuming isn't consistent.

Crap.

well, i don't really know what to do about that. i am pretty sure that the libata_suspend patch make swsusp2 very unstable. i don't know if there is any point playing around with swsusp1 since it isn't supported anymore.

some things to try.

1) i have been using the unstable swsusp2 with my 2.6.12.2, i haven't tried the stable one, maybe that will work.
2) it may not be a kernel issue. i mean, there may be some configuration problems that are not kernel problems.
3) post my issues on swsusp forums.
4) use the 2.6.12.4 kernel

oh well, i guess there is still some work to do.

good thing though, suspend to ram seems to be very stable.

j
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 17 of 33

Jump to: