Runscripts not starting...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mage2k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Runscripts not starting... Reply with quote

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me out:

I have added started scripts for mysql and apache (both from installations from their websites, not ebuilds) to /etc/init.d and added them to the default runlevel via rc-update. However, neither is starting up when I boot system. rc-status lists both in the default runleve, but they are off. Both scripts have execute permissions enabled. The really confusing thing is that I had both of these starting up fine a week ago, but today I decided to nix the installations of both and start over (mainly because I wanted Apache 1.3 instead of 2), but the new installations don't start correctly. Any ideas?

Mage
thefatdx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo uses pretty different init scripts to standard ones. Could you post up the init scripts you have placed in /etc/init.d
Mage2k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know that the issue isn't one of compatiblity as, like I said, these scripts started fine for me before. Also, I've since tried adding other scripts (such as for entrance which is pretty simple and definitely fits the gentoo runscript format) and nothing will start for me.

What can I do to figure out what the problem is? Is there some configuration file that I can look at?

Mage2k
Mage2k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHA! I found something. Although, I don't know if it really means anything: After boot a file for each runscript that didn't start is placed in the /var/lib/init.d directory whose name is the script name appended with a number, e.g. for the entrance runscript: entrance-5999 and the number changes after each boot and is identical for each script.

Inside each file are the runscript's contents enclosed in function test_script(){..}.

E.g.
entrance-5999 contents:

function_testscript(){
(entrance runscripts contents)
}

Any ideas?
Mage2k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind, after crawling through a bunch of code I found where those files are coming from and it turns out that the scripts I'm trying to use are not in fact valid Gentoo initscripts....

Mage2k

Mage
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: