View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quizas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: How to emerge Gnome w/o mozilla, evolution and others Reply with quote

How to emerge Gnome w/o mozilla, evolution and others???
hw-tph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge -pv gnome-light and see if that will fit your bill.

Håkan
Quizas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to exclude some packages???
unwrittenlaw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe take out mozilla on your make.conf
H.Humpel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As there is already a USE-flag for Evolution, why not using it in the gnome-ebuild?
I find it strange having a "-evo" in make.conf and gentoo still wanting to install all the Evolution stuff with Gnome.
As the USE-flag seems to be there to enable/disable the evolution support in programs (Adds support for evolution in gnumeric and multisync), it makes (perfect) sense to me not to compile Evolution with Gnome if there is a "-evo" set (or include it into Gnome when "evo" is set...).
I'd really like to see this in the ebuilds.

Greetings, H.Humpel
hw-tph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humpel, incorporating that into the ebuild would require very little editing. Just open up the ebuild and edit it and save it (with a new revision number of course) in your Portage overlay. You could also supply the ebuild along with your very valid argument to bugs.gentoo.org so the devs can decide if they want to do this.

Håkan
H.Humpel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hw-tph wrote:
Humpel, incorporating that into the ebuild would require very little editing. Just open up the ebuild and edit it and save it (with a new revision number of course) in your Portage overlay. You could also supply the ebuild along with your very valid argument to bugs.gentoo.org so the devs can decide if they want to do this.

Håkan

Well, as you supposed I just posted my ideas and this thread to bugs.gentoo (https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=84867), but "they" really don't like the ideas:

Quote:
evo is a flag of old times and should be removed sometime in the future.

Quote:
we know exactly what this is about, we just don't agree with the line of thought.

So, they basically think (that's what I read out) that Gnome is Gnome, which means the Gnome as it is on Gnome.org including everything there. And gnome-light is a minimal Gnome where you will have to install every extra on your own.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=36027#c7:
Quote:
Repeat slowly:
Gnome meta is an attempt to be the -complete- gnome desktop.

if you don't want the complete gnome desktop, do not install the complete gnome desktop. There is a "light" version avaiable.

So no lock here... :(

Anyway... when I see all the users here which don't like to install the whole Gnome and do not like the gnome-light plus chosen extras (including me, as this is not my idea of it) I think something in between might be a good idea, like a user-gnome with a few local use-flags (like evolution, epiphany, games etc.). This is no big deal to create, but as my bug on this topic has been kicked out within seconds and people on gnome in bugs.gentoo seem to be a bit "harsh" about this whole "use-flags in gnome"-topic I really do not like to post (or even provide the ebuilds to) any idea like this there again...

Nevermind, at least there is a local portage tree... :)
outspoken
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge --one-shot --nodeps gnome

if that complains about certain packages needed then go and do the same for them, gnome-utils or whatever other packages it may need.. i dont have a gentoo box handy and im too lazy atm to look it up on gentoo-portage.com
psyeye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tested the hppa-use-flag already? Afaik it just removes Mozilla/Epiphany from the Gnome meta-desktop and has some minor as yet unnoticed effect on some XML-library.
I use it and am still quite satisfied - firefox all along and no Moz/Epi.

sidenote: even this hppa-trick comes from one of the many "Gnome without Mozilla/Epiphany"-threads out there... :)

psyeye
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: