2004.3 LiveCD installation with SCSI CD-ROM - not working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike_d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: 2004.3 LiveCD installation with SCSI CD-ROM - not working Reply with quote

I posted a while ago about not being able to install with the LiveCD on my old SCSI system that doesn't boot off the CD-ROM. My solution was to buy a new SCSI card (Adapted AHA-2940UW) that supports booting off the CD-ROM. So now I can successfully boot the LiveCD and I boot using "gentoo -doscsi" . It starts to boot from the CD but fails with the error message "The root block device is unspecifie of not detected. Please specify a device to boot..." I droped to the shell and did a "ls /dev" and the only things listed are ttys, no SCSI CD, nor any of my SCSI hard drives. I did a search on here, but it looks like the people having SCSI problems were getting different error messages than me. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Mike
Grimmlin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

When you have the shell, does the lsmod say anything?
Did you saw it probing for aic7xxx when booting?

You don't have to put a minus "-" in front of the doscsi. The linuxrc is parsing the cmdline, not grepping it.

HTH,

Grimm':twisted:
mike_d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tip. i did "gentoo doscsi" this time and it loaded the modules for the scsi adapter, but it locked on the tmscsim step. i remember reading something about that in my previous search for help. has that been fixed in 2005.0?

mike
Grimmlin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't understand what you means by tmscsim? is that a scsi module?

I don't know for the 2005.0 but as they'll use a kernel 2.6.11 there will be possibly a better kernel scsi support as they may have enhanced this in this version...

HTH,

Grimm' :twisted:
dcrook
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an adaptech 29160N and it uses the same driver and I ran into the same problem. I think the problem you are having is that there are two aic7xxxx drivers on the CD and "doscsi" is trying to load both of them.

I found it easier to try booting without the doscsi flag. Then the booting would stop part way through since no drivers were loaded. I bellieve that it would tell you to type ctrl-x to bring up a root shell at that point. If you do that then you can manually load the right scsi driver with this command..

insmod /modules/storage/aic7xxx.o

Then type "exit" to close the shell and continue booting.

I hope this helps. I haven't done it in a while, I'm just looking over my notes from when I was installing my system a while ago.
mike_d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcrook - thanks for the hint, but it didn't work. i think i'll burn a 2005.0 cd tomorow at work and see if it works.
dcrook
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you look at this thread...

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-267325-highlight-scsi.html

Some created a custom install CD to solve this problem. It allows you to specifiy which scsi driver is needed to boot off the cdrom instead of just doscsi.
mike_d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcrook wrote:
Did you look at this thread...

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-267325-highlight-scsi.html

Some created a custom install CD to solve this problem. It allows you to specifiy which scsi driver is needed to boot off the cdrom instead of just doscsi.

yup, i just finished burning that CD 30 seconds ago. i have little hope though. because i did use your method of not specifying "doscsi" and then when i tried to do "insmod ..." on the aic7xxx module it locked up, just like the tmscsim module that everyone seems to have problems with. i was able to sucessfully load the aha1540 module, but it didn't cause and /dev/s?? enetries to appear (or is there something else i need to do to get them?). maybe the special boot cd will work, or maybe the 2005.0 cd will work. i'm going to try them both this weekend.

if anyone else out there uses an adaptec AHA-2940UW scsi card, i'd love to know what scsi driver you used.

mike
mike_d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update: no luck with either the 2005.0 cd, the modfied 2004.3 cd from

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-267325-highlight-scsi.html,

i also tried to boot a knoppix cd. i get the same style error, that after it boots from the cd, the scsi module can't load and then it can't find the cd to continue. i'm going to order a IDE cdrom from ebay, but while i'm waiting for that to arrive in the mail, if anyone knows how to get my ataptec aha2940uw to work on linux, i'd be thrilled to know!

thanks!
mike
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after loading the aic7xxx module, did you also load the sd_mod module
mike_d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
after loading the aic7xxx module, did you also load the sd_mod module

just tried that, no luck. first when i try to load the aic7xxx module, it locks up. i can sucessfully load the aic79xx module though, so i tried that.

using the custom cd referenced above i booted with all the permutations of "gentoo doaic79xx dosd_mod dosr_mod" with no luck. i also tried booting without "dosci" and the manually loading the modules. the modules appeard to load, but i get no entries in /dev for the devices. is there something with udev that i need to run to tell it to update /dev and put the entries for the scsi devices?

mike
Jiffy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike_d,
Grab http://www.novickzone.com/gentoo/install-x86-minimal-2004.3-scsi-r1.iso and boot it with gentoo doaic7xxx
If that doesn't work, boot it with gentoo doaic7xxx_old
If they fail, try appending noapic
My r4 release has stupid typo in it that I am hoping to get around to fixing today.
r1 is known to work well with Adaptec controllers.

Jiffy
dcrook
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike_d,

As Jiffy pointed out, try the aic7xxx_old driver. There are two versions of the aci7xxx driver, the old one and the new one. The new one is a rewrite and it works better on newer cards. But it has been known to be incompatible with some older aic7xxx cards. Thats why the old driver is still kept around. You should be able to get one of these drivers to work on your card.

When you get it working, remember which version of the driver you used. You will need to enable that driver in the kernel and make sure you turn the other one off.
Jiffy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiffy wrote:

My r4 release has stupid typo in it that I am hoping to get around to fixing today.

r4 has been fixed and named r4a.
Get it at http://www.novickzone.com/gentoo/install-x86-minimal-2004.3-scsi-r4a.iso

Please let me know if it works for you.
Jiffy
mike_d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiffy wrote:
mike_d,
Grab http://www.novickzone.com/gentoo/install-x86-minimal-2004.3-scsi-r1.iso and boot it with gentoo doaic7xxx
If that doesn't work, boot it with gentoo doaic7xxx_old
If they fail, try appending noapic
r1 is known to work well with Adaptec controllers.

Jiffy

ah ha! success! "gentoo doaic7xxx" worked with the -r1 version.

thanks so much for everyone's help!

mike
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: