Why won't the network work? =(
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kousetsu_daisuke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Why won't the network work? =( Reply with quote

Last night after i finish installing gentoo on my laptop. I had a few problems and while I was in between my last one and rebooting to fix it I had a working connection to the internet. After I finished fixing my problem, which was a problem in the grub.conf and had rebooted into my system, I no longer had a tangible connection through my network. I did a ifconfig eht0 and it showed I was being assigned an IP but any attempt to connect to the outside (such as a ping on yahoo) was not working. I tried to emerge packages as well and it couldnt connect to any of the mirrors.

I am not sure if this is a problem specific to gentoo or maybe its the netwrok configuration that I am running right now. But it worked, then stopped working. Also if I stick the liveCD back into the laptop and boot from that, things work properly again.

At the moment I have my laptop hooked through a wired switch, to a desktop running windows XP, which has a wireless Microsoft (ugh pain in the butt to deal with =/) USB card connecting to a router which is then hooked into the cable modem. In case that helps.
chrism
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the default route is broken. Could you post your ifconfig eth0?

try to shut down eth0 and bring it up again by typing: "dhcp eth0".

Chris
Tahoe_Strider
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: Amador County, Awarded 9th Best Place to live in Rural America

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An output of "route" might be useful too if restarting your interface doesn't resolve it.
chrism
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tahoe_Strider wrote:
An output of "route" might be useful too if restarting your interface doesn't resolve it.

My bad, of course it would be usefull.:oops: I try to be more precise the next time.

Chris
kousetsu_daisuke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, I tried to do "dhcp eth0" and I got an unknown command error. Is it possible that I didn't instal dhcp correctly? I distinctly remeber dealing with that in the tutorial though. =/

The tutorial said to emerge dhcpcd which i did.

Hmmm some more headway: I ran the command dhcp and it seems that it reset eth0 for me. But will I have to do this everytime I start m laptop up?
chrism
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you have to emerge dhcpd, since you don't want to run a dhcp server.

Have you put net.eth0 in your default runlevel? You can check that out by running:
Code:
rc-status

if not type:
Code:

rc-update add net.eth0 default

If it is already in there delete it first and then put it in again.

Code:
rc-update del net.eth0 default

Another problem is if you have ifplugd or some simular programm running. Do you have a programm running which should detect wether a network cable is pluged in or not?

Chris
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: