installing gentoo...agian
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nooby god
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: installing gentoo...agian Reply with quote

Hey I want to install gentoo, I've tried before but I couldn't get my internet working. Do a search on the forums to see.
I'm willing to try agian. I'm know the install process well, but after that I need help. Before I install I need some one to explain to me in great detail (treat me like a major n00b) on how to get internet access.

I'm connected to the internet via router. I connect to my router by a linksys WUSB11 v3.0 USB network adapter. This has the prism2 chipset. according to the linux HCL http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php?product=2230&sort=8&cat=144&page=2 I need the linux-wlan-ng drivers, version 0.2.1-pre22 or higher in order to work, but I don't get on how to do it. I'm going to do a stage 3 install and then get my internet acess and then recompile everything.

Please help, and thank you
Shazam
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i would suggest, that you setup your gentoo in stage 3 first, after you got everything running, except the network card, you can go ahead, download the driver under windows (i assume you have a copy on your computer, otherwise download it from a friend, and put it on usb stick, crd, whatever you feel like), copy it of to a tmp dir, where you can compile and install it. hard to list you all the steps from here, but what i suggest, read the gentoo handbook first (maybe print it out, so you can look up for help, when trying to install[ that's how i started, too])
penguinlnx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a netword card installed, you have to turn OFF PlugNPlay in your BIOS for Linux to find the card and connect.
marcus0263
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Consistant Falures Reply with quote

I'm getting extremely frustrated at this point. I've tried multipule configurations in the make.conf and I'm not having any luck. I'm trying to bootstrap this shuttle box with an AMD XP 3000+ Barton w/ 1G of ECC Ram and it keeps bombing. I'm getting segmentation faults etc.. when I try to compile, here's what I'm getting:

../ncurses/tinfo/lib_tparm.c:476: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <URL:https://bugs.gentoo.org/> for instructions.
cd ../objects; gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I../ncurses -I. -I. -I../include -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -O2 -mcpu=i686 -fomit-frame-pointer -fPIC -c ../ncurses/./tinfo/lib_ttyflags.c
cd ../objects; gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I../ncurses -I. -I. -I../include -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -O2 -mcpu=i686 -fomit-frame-pointer -fPIC -c ../ncurses/./tty/lib_twait.c
cd ../objects; gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I../ncurses -I. -I. -I../include -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -O2 -mcpu=i686 -fomit-frame-pointer -fPIC -c ../ncurses/./tinfo/name_match.c
The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem.
make[1]: *** [../objects/lib_tparm.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/ncurses-5.4-r5/work/ncurses-5.4/ncurses'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-libs/ncurses-5.4-r5 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 74, Exitcode 2
!!! make failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

Here's my make.conf

CFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=i686 -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
ALSA_CARDS="via82xx"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/tmp
DISTDIR=${PORTDIR}/distfiles
PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/packages
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
RSYNC_RETRIES="3"
RSYNC_TIMEOUT=180
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
FEATURES="sandbox ccache"
CCACHE_SIZE="2G"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org http://adelie.polymtl.ca/ ftp://mirrors.tds.net/gentoo http://mirrors.tds.net/gentoo http://gentoo.seren.com/gentoo"
USE="3dnow 3dnowext aac aalib acpi aim alsa apm arts avi bcmath bzlib cdb cdparanoia cdr cups dvd dvdr foomaticdb gif gnome gnutls gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 jce jpeg mmx mmxext mpeg ncurses npg nptl nvidia oss pam pdflib -pcmcia procmail qt quicktime sockets spell sse svga tcltk tiff truetype usb userlocales vcd X X509 xvid zlib"

Here's my hardware:

0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3205
0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI Bridge
0000:00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
0000:00:0c.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller (rev 46)
0000:00:0f.0 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT8233/A/C/VT8235 PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
0000:00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 81)
0000:00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 81)
0000:00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 81)
0000:00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 81)
0000:00:10.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 86)
0000:00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3227
0000:00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev a2)

Any suggestions?
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Consistant Falures Reply with quote

marcus0263 wrote:
Any suggestions?

Yes.

Don't hijack the threads of other people. Especially when you problem does not sound like their problem. It is downright rude.

Either search for an existing thread with the same problem as yours and post into that, or start a new thread.

Oh, and welcome to the forums, though you didn't introduce yourself in the most courteous way. :)
marcus0263
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Consistant Falures Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:
marcus0263 wrote:
Any suggestions?

Don't hijack the threads of other people. Especially when you problem does not sound like their problem. It is downright rude.

Sorry :oops:

Lack of sleep
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Consistant Falures Reply with quote

marcus0263 wrote:
Sorry :oops:

Lack of sleep

In that case, edit your first post and replace all the text within by [removed] , and I will do likewise.

It is unfortunate that posts in these forums cannot be deleted after they have been replied to.

Last edited by kimchi_sg on Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
nooby god
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shazam wrote:
well, i would suggest, that you setup your gentoo in stage 3 first, after you got everything running, except the network card, you can go ahead, download the driver under windows (i assume you have a copy on your computer, otherwise download it from a friend, and put it on usb stick, crd, whatever you feel like), copy it of to a tmp dir, where you can compile and install it. hard to list you all the steps from here, but what i suggest, read the gentoo handbook first (maybe print it out, so you can look up for help, when trying to install[ that's how i started, too])

k, thanks for that. I need soe body though to tell me how to configure linux-wlan-ng. I've tried before and it was a pain in the ass. Can some one more experienced help me? I also don't understand the ip address and gateway crap.
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nooby god wrote:
k, thanks for that. I need soe body though to tell me how to configure linux-wlan-ng. I've tried before and it was a pain in the ass. Can some one more experienced help me? I also don't understand the ip address and gateway crap.

You will have better luck asking for help in the Networking and Security forum. ;)
nooby god
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok then, I have one last question then. Last time I had alot of trouble getting gnome to work. It wouldn't start up automaticly, when I configured it and, when I typed startx, I gotgot this weird screen, that had four shell windows and a clock. I fixed it by loggin on to root and typing startx. I got to the gnome login, screen there. There I logged in as a normal user. Can some one fix it, so the login screen starts up automaticly?
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nooby god wrote:
ok then, I have one last question then. Last time I had alot of trouble getting gnome to work. It wouldn't start up automaticly, when I configured it and, when I typed startx, I gotgot this weird screen, that had four shell windows and a clock. I fixed it by loggin on to root and typing startx. I got to the gnome login, screen there. There I logged in as a normal user. Can some one fix it, so the login screen starts up automaticly?

Edit your /etc/rc.conf and set the XSESSION variable to "Gnome".

You may also want to change the DISPLAYMANAGER variable if you want to login using gdm.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: