Gentoo on a Powerbook 15" 1GHz - heat and fan
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jax1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on a Powerbook 15" 1GHz - heat and fan Reply with quote

Hello all,

So I got Gentoo installed on my Powerbook and things seem to work quite well. Its a real nice laptop, especially the Display. I'm not too crazy about the keyboard, but I guess I could get used to it.

One thing really bugs me about this thing however. I boot it, and after a few minutes (5 or so), the fans turn on and they never ever turn off. Even if the thing is completely idle. And they are loud. Too loud. I've had quite a few laptops before and none of them made this kind of noise (at least not constantly). I've seen posts where people talk about how the Powerbooks run real warm and how the heat (especially when running Linux?) seems to be an issue.

I'd be perfectly ok with the fans running when the system is actually doing something. But when its idle (and has been so for an hour), isnt it reasonable that the fan(s) should spin down? (Should it really run that hot when its not doing anything?)
When I compiled X I thought the thing was going to burn up. I mean, it was _real_hot after a couple of hours compiling....

I've fiddled with cpudyn to lower the cpu clock to 667Mhz, but that doesnt seem to make any difference at all. Once those fans start spinning, they never stop.

Running OSX is not an option for me.

Its getting to the point where I almost find the damn thing unusable because of this. The noise bugs me to death. If I can't get around this, I'll sell the thing and go back to my Thinkpad with its lousy 1024x768 display... :evil:

I'd really appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this or share their experience....

thanx.
heavyt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read this https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-294832-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-fan.html post, if not it may be of some help.
jax1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx!

I hadnt seen that... unfortunately I dont have access to my Powerbook right now, but as soon as I do I'll give it a whirl! 8)

I'll keep posting here in case anyone is interested.
bruda
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a Tibook or Alubook? I have noticed on my Tibook that the fan goes off way more often with Linus 2.6.10 than with previous versions but I am not sure whether this has anything to do with your problems (on Tibooks one does not even have software control for the fan, so I am not sure what could be different between 2.6.10 and earlier versions).
jax1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
s this a Tibook or Alubook?

ehum...:oops: ....whats the difference? (I am a PC guy)
jax1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get to my Powerbook tonight (European time), I cant wait to try this out. I remember however that /proc/cpuinfo doesnt show temperatures for me. I've followed a few howtos and I think I've got the kernel settings correct. Is there anything else I need?

And I'd really like to know what the difference between an "Alubook" and a "Tibook" is. Google is no help. Isnt there anyone out there that can enlighten me!??!!? :)
gnomeza
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alubook - case made of aluminium, silver-coloured keyboard
Tibook - case made of titanium, older model, black keyboard

This site should bring you up to speed on the various powerbook versions: http://www.lowendmac.com/powerbooks.html
jax1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Alubook - case made of aluminium, silver-coloured keyboard
Tibook - case made of titanium, older model, black keyboard

...In that case I have a "Tibook".

Quote:

Is this a Tibook or Alubook? I have noticed on my Tibook that the fan goes off way more often with Linus 2.6.10 than with previous versions but I am not sure whether this has anything to do with your problems (on Tibooks one does not even have software control for the fan, so I am not sure what could be different between 2.6.10 and earlier versions).

....so I can't cotrol the fan at all in this thing? Would downgrading the kernel help? (in that case, to what?)
Any other ideas?

Anyone running Gentoo on a Tibook have the same problem?
bruda
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I (used to?) believe that Tibook fans cannot be controlled in software at all. On the other hand, my Tibook's fans go off with 2.6.10 way more often. It is not a critical problem (the heat does not reach the unsettling levels you mention), but it is nonetheless puzzling. Does somebody have any idea/clarification on the matter?

As for downgrading the kernel, you could try the 2.6.8 series (2.6.9 has ALSA issues). Let us know what changes (if anything) in the process.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: