gentoo 2004.3 amd64 and megaraid
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperV
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: gentoo 2004.3 amd64 and megaraid Reply with quote

No workie!

Gentoo boots just fine, locks up when I try to have it 'doscsi' during boot, but I don't have anything plugged into the SATA slots, so I'm not too concerned.
However, i'm using my favorite piece of hardware, my HP Netraid scsi card, which worked fine in all previous releases of gentoo, except this one.
Why does the livecd neglect to have this driver?!
That was the wonderful thing about every other livcd, it had drivers for every single thing out there, but now, i've got this smokin new cpu, and can't use it, because there's no way to get anything to install on it.
Side note, the Ubuntu livecd sees the card perfectly, and has drivers for every piece of hardware in this box, so it's definitely supported hardware.
If anyone has any tips on how to load this driver manually so I can install on this machine, or just how to build my own livecd to add it myself, it would be much appreciated.

hardware:
Athlon 64 with DFI nForce3 mobo.
1/2 gig of DDR 400
HP Netraid 1M raid card,
nVidia Geforce FX 5700

should make a killer box to play UT on, eh? :-)
n3mo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you could start installing your machine from the ubuntu livecd as with knoppix, just read here, there's something on building a LiveCD on the gentoo wiki, here.
SuperV
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: a few steps backward.... Reply with quote

So after much havoc wreaked upon my system by the ubuntu install disc, namely the part where it went and installed itself just by me configuring the disks, and thus wiping out the mbr of my working win2k install, I decided to perhaps try one of my other scsi cards, in the hopes that maybe I could just get gentoo installed and running then worry about moving everything to the raid card later.

Nice try, Skippy.

It seems that scsi as a whole on the amd64 2004.3 livecd is COMPLETELY broken, doing a 'doscsi' locks up when trying to detect the sata cards (which I don't plan on using, remember?), waiting for the cd to boot, then modprobe'ing the aic7xxx module for my 29160 card, causes a full blown kernel panic. YEHAW!!!

I thought perhaps my scsi cards were having issues, but no, booting up the x86 version of 2004.3 and gentoo 1.4 cd's worked just fine on loading the modules for BOTH scsi cards (the megaraid and aic7xxx)

So it would appear the I either must build myself a new CD, which i'm kinda boycotting, since somebody released the livecd with it being b0rked up beyond belief, and they should have to fix it, wait for the 2005.0 cd, which seems to be vaporware at this point, and hope that it actually works, or pick another distro.

There is a final option that I am curious about, if I can boot and install the x86 cd, could I potentially install the x86 tree of gentoo, then once it's done, do a full emerge --emptytree world, to turn on all the 64bit opts?

if that's possible, then perhaps I won't go insane trying to do the impossible.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: