View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
royolsen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Trouble with DRI on ATI Mobility Radeon X300 Reply with quote

I'm happy to say that I have gotten every aspect of my new Dell Lattitude D610 laptop working with GNU/Linux .. except for DRI.

My D610 has a Mobility X300 PCI-eXpress adapter with 64 MB memory, which I was told was a very good choice for a linux laptop these days. Whenever direct rendering is enabled, Xorg locks up just after sucessfully initializing the DRI. A reboot is needed to remove the complete and utter blackness. If I have DRI disabled, the internal LCD panel also goes blank, but ctl-alt-backspace works, and I get a picture if I connect an external monitor. Oh, and if I switch to an external monitor and back, I even get a picture on the internal LCD. (This is not a problem with the Xorg radeon driver, which works perfectly even with the 1400x1050 SXGA+ resolution.)

However, since the Xorg radeon driver does not support DRI on the newer chips, I have tried various versions of the ATI provided driver. I've also tried a number of different configurations on different combinations of driver, kernel and Xorg. I've even tried installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 after reading on a Fedora forum that someone got it working on a D610. Turns out the guy had installed fglrx but not changed his configuration to use it, and was actually still running the Xorg radeon driver, without DRI ;-)

I've followed the Gentoo ATI Howto, aswell as the extra howto I found here in the forum, but to no avail. What drives me nuts is that everything seems to work perfectly. The module seem to load nicely, Xorg is not complaining etc. Eager to get rid of the Windows parition, I'm now hoping that someone here is running the Mobilty X300 with 3D accelleration, perhaps even on a Lattitude D610 or other sonoma based laptop, and can tell me what they did to make it work.

My complete xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log can be found here:

http://roy.nu/xorg.conf.txt
http://roy.nu/Xorg.0.log.txt

Note that these are from my RHEL4 installation, but are quite comparable to the Gentoo ones.
yaneurabeya
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that card an OpenGL based one? If so, maybe it's like the nVidia cards and has issues with DRI.
royolsen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you mean with OpenGL based, but this is not an ATI FireGL card.

Obviously it does have some issues with DRI, however the chip is listed and reckognized by the driver from ATI.
yaneurabeya
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

royolsen wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean with OpenGL based, but this is not an ATI FireGL card.

Obviously it does have some issues with DRI, however the chip is listed and reckognized by the driver from ATI.

I meant OpenGL supported card. Read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opengl
royolsen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: ATI/OpenGL Reply with quote

As far as I know, all ATI cards are OpenGL supported, however, the ATI driver lists the chip as supported by their DRI driver.

Anyway, I'm still looking for someone with experience with Mobility X300.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why have you got "MonitorLayout" set to "NONE, NONE"? Someone recently had a similar problem with their Mobilty Radeon, and what fixed it was just changing the "MonitorLayout" setting to "LVDS, AUTO".
royolsen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedge_ wrote:
Why have you got "MonitorLayout" set to "NONE, NONE"? Someone recently had a similar problem with their Mobilty Radeon, and what fixed it was just changing the "MonitorLayout" setting to "LVDS, AUTO".

I've been trying different combinations here, just happened to be "NONE, NONE" when I dumped the config. Thanks for letting me know about the "LVDS" option, which I didn't know about. The "LVDS, AUTO" combination does in fact solve the blank screen problem when DRI is disabled. Now the fglrx driver works perfectly in all resolutions, as long as hardware accelleration is disabled.

Trying to run with DRI still causes much of the same problem. The screen flickers for a swift second, then the video adapter seems to freeze, and the screen goes blank. I can ssh to the box, but need a poweroff to get anything back on the screen.

I have tried internal agpgart aswell as the kernel one, the same counts for mtrr handling.
tawtao
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have tried internal agpgart aswell as the kernel one, the same counts for mtrr handling.

Same problem here. I have X300 (64MB) on Inspiron 6000D. Every thing, on one head mode, work fine except DRI. Since the X300 is PCI-Express card, so AGP setting has no effect. So forget about AGP.

Have you try dual head mode (with two drivers!)? I got some kind of ghost on the second screen. If you have any idea, please let me know.
tawtao
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with DRI on ATI Mobility Radeon X300 Reply with quote

royolsen wrote:
I'm happy to say that I have gotten every aspect of my new Dell Lattitude D610 laptop working with GNU/Linux .. except for DRI.

Get ATI X300 Acceleration

I can not make X300 work with DRI enable, but I get the glxgears runs at average 825 FPS using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA). Without XAA or DRI, glxgears runs at average 200FPS. The main trick is, use xorg "radeon" driver, not ATI driver. With xorg "radeon" driver and XAA, I think I am happy enough. :)

Here is Section "Device" for xorg "radeon" driver.

Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier "XorgX300"
        Driver     "radeon"
        Option "no_accel"                   "no"

Option "DesktopSetup"               "0x00000000"
        Option "MonitorLayout"              "LVDS, CRT"

BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

No need for Option "no_dri" line. (see /var/log/Xorg.0.log)

You also have to create/modify section "screen" to accept this new device,

Code:
Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "XorgScreen"
    Device      "XorgX300"
    Monitor     "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1920x1200" "1600x1050" "1440x900" "1280x1024" "1024x768"
        ViewPort    0 0  # initial origin if mode is smaller than desktop
#        Virtual     1280 1024
    EndSubsection
EndSection

and modify Section "ServerLayout"

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier  "XorgServerLayout"
    Screen "XorgScreen"
    InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Mouse1" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

The answer come from "chaoslord007" posted in here,
[url]https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-305444-highlight-ati+x300+dri+xorg.html[/urk]

Notice that the MonitorLayout is
Code:
        Option "MonitorLayout"              "LVDS, CRT"

It seem to work very will with my need.
You can use opengl-update to select xorg-x11 library, and then remove ati-drivers from the system. No need to keep it.

Have fun :)
AvantLegion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have DRI working with the "fglrx" driver on my x300 Radeon Mobility in my Dell Inspiron 6000.

I didn't do anything special, really.

I do have "/dev/agpgart support" compiled in, because the fglrx driver needs it, even though, yes, this chip is PCI Express. Beyond that, I had to make sure to turn that damn "MonitorLayout" setting off of "NONE, NONE" - on my laptop, I'm using "LVCD, AUTO".
heikole
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with DRI on ATI Mobility Radeon X300 Reply with quote

royolsen wrote:

My D610 has a Mobility X300 PCI-eXpress adapter with 64 MB memory, which I was told was a very good choice for a linux laptop these days. Whenever direct rendering is enabled, Xorg locks up just after sucessfully initializing the DRI. A reboot is needed to remove the complete and utter blackness. If I have DRI disabled, the internal LCD panel also goes blank, but ctl-alt-backspace works, and I get a picture if I connect an external monitor. Oh, and if I switch to an external monitor and back, I even get a picture on the internal LCD. (This is not a problem with the Xorg radeon driver, which works perfectly even with the 1400x1050 SXGA+ resolution.)

Lucky you. With my D610 graphics card being the same as yours, I get the Xorg radeon driver running. Sad to say, that this driver works only when XAA acceleration is switched off (Option "no_accel" "yes"), making the display slow. Otherwise I get X started only to the point when the root window gets colored with the background color. The system hangs then and needs to be powered off. No ctrl-alt-del.

The ATI fglrx driver is always showing me a completely black screen only, no matter which options I set. Same as with Xorg's radeon driver, I have to hard reset the notebook then.

What versions are you using? Mine are
ati-drivers-8.10.19
xorg-x11-6.8.2-r1
mikkoloo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm dang, just bought this laptop (dell, yet to be shipped) with the hope that the ati driver would work nicely. is this a problem for everyone or are some people lucky? Let us know if you solve it too eh.

edit: just a shot in the dark, have you tried the "UseInternalAGPGART" setting? Saw it on some other thread.

more edit: check this link out:
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_linux&message.id=5917#M5917

even more edit: ati-drivers-8.12.10 are in portage and i heard it solve problems for some. worth a try.
royolsen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy on the dell forum probably forgot to load the kernel module, and so is running without DRI. In other words, the problem still exists with the 8.12.10 driver from ATI.

edit> Yes, the different AGPGART settings have been tried to no avail.
mikkoloo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another thought, the: Bus Options (PCI, PCMCIA, EISA, MCA, ISA) -> PCI Express support, have nothing to do with this? Guess you all have this enabled already.
royolsen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCI Express must be enabled or you will get unresolved symbol error messages.
beatryder
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a D610, with the X300.

the new 8.12.10 fglrx drivers work great,
I have also found that they dont play nice with the radeonfb module, but was somewhat fixed by adding "vram=64" to the end of the kernel line in grub.
linumik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: More info needed Reply with quote

I tried 8.12.10 with dri enabled and I still got black screen, computer hanged and required hard reboot. It works fine with dri disabled though. Are you sure that you have DRI on? What glxinfo outputs?

If everything works fine for you, can you give more information on your kernel and X config files, modules loaded and also what kernel sources you use.

thanks.
Zugot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also interested in this. The radeon module works, but I still want fully accelerated X.
beatryder
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the radeonfb module is only needed for a frame buffer console.

basicly what i did was this:
Configure the kernel to use vesafb,
shut of kernel DRI COMPLETELY,
made the intel_agp driver a MODULE
and PCI Express MUST be configured static to work.

I then ran fglrxconfig, added
Option "KernelModuleParam" "agplock=0"

to the device section, and made sure that

Option "MonitorLayout" "LVDS, AUTO"

Was set as above.

here is my glxinfo output:
Code:

ryder@Septu ryder $ glxinfo | grep render
direct rendering: Yes
    GLX_ATI_render_texture
OpenGL renderer string: MOBILITY RADEON X300 Generic

I pull about 960fps on glxgears and 190 on fgl_glxgears (emerge ati-drivers-extra)

I hope this helps.
linumik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Doesn't work for me Reply with quote

Tried all that but it still doesn't work. It might be something else that I have setup differently.

Can you please email your .config and xorg.conf files to me? Address is - linumik at simplecheck dot net

thanks.

[edit]
I compiled a kernel with the configuration you posted in another thread... it didn't work. I still get black screen on the X start. The log shows that DRI was initialized successfully, but nothing works and X can't be killed/restarted.

I use gentoo-sources 2.6.11-gentoo-r9
linumik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Configs Reply with quote

Thank you, beatryder, for the files!

Unfortunatelly, it didn't work. It drives me crazy that the same config doesn't work on the same laptops the same way. I wonder what else can be different between our systems? xorg build?

can you send me following out put

emerge xorg-x11 -pv

Thanks!

PS
I tried to email you but, got an error back "User unknown"
beatryder
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I wonder which email address you were using.(I have 9 so I have trouble keeping them straight)

you can use this one to email me:

beatryder at gmail dot com
Tomator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an IBM ThinkPad T43 with the ATI Mobility Radeon X300, and I have the same problems with DRI acceleration. The only errors that appear are of the "unresolved symbol" variety, even though PCI Express is compiled into the kernel. I've followed all the directions I could find, but DRI will still not work. If anyone has luck getting this to work, please provide an update.
linumik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: make.conf Reply with quote

beatryder, can you post your make.conf file? Thanks.
beatryder
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, altho, you may want to not that my CFLAGS DO NOT WORK for libsdl, but everything else seems to work

Code:

# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically built this stage
# Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
#/etc/make.conf
#CFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium3 -mmmx -msse -msse2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -ffast-math -fprefetch-loop-arrays -funroll-loops -mmmx -msse -msse2"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://gentoo.arcticnetwork.ca/pub/gentoo/ http://gentoo.arcticnetwork.ca/ http://gentoo.mirrored.ca/ ftp://gentoo.mirrored.ca/"
USE="-arts -kde -gnome -ipv6 pic mmx sse sse2"
FEATURES="prelink"
#SYNC="rsync://rsync.ca.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: