Something is wrong with bash?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MontyPython1087
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Something is wrong with bash? Reply with quote

here is my story: I cd'ed into a directory to install mplayer codecs. I issued cp /*.* / and got a handful of errors about certain files not being able to be copied. (yes i know i should not have done what i did). Afterwards nothing worked in the command line, or anywhere else. I would get an error message that looked something like this:

-bash (said something about not being able to execute or find said command)

Now i have a gentoo livecd booted up and i cleaned up all of the extra files/directories in /, but i still cannot start my computer. I keep getting a kernel panic saying that init does not exist. Also, when i try to chroot into my system (from the livecd) i get chroot: cannot run command '/bin/bash' : no such file or directory.

Do you guys have any idea? I have never done anything like this before.
King Arthur: What, behind the rabbit?
Tim: the Enchanter: It is the rabbit!
yaneurabeya
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch. It sounds like you accidentally deleted some unwanted dirs/files... I would get a stage 1 tarball, and run bootstrap according to the Gentoo installation handbook if you can't possibly emerge bash because it would get everything up to date and you wouldn't have to deal with library incompatibilities, etc, or you could restart from scratch with a different stage after you back up all of your important files... Try "chroot /bin/bash /mnt/gentoo" first though because that should work for you.
MontyPython1087
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: So many choices... Reply with quote

I was thinking about just redoing it all again. A stage one only takes a day of devotion from start to finish (having xorg configured etc)

I have already copied over my files (although i still don't have several gigs worth bec i copied to a smaller hd) including my configs, kernels, etc. I may just take a nice evening out of my day and redo the system.

Would re-bootstrapping fix it? Would any files be written over that are configured for my comp as of right now?
yaneurabeya
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm, rebootstrapping's just the beginning because it builds your basic set of emerge tools. You basically should run emerge -e system; emerge -e system; emerge -e world, or so I've read, but I do emerge -e system; emerge -e world.
MontyPython1087
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: The only problem... Reply with quote

The only problem is that i still can't get into my system so i cannot use emerge. looks like i will have to do a fresh install?
maddoug
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Similar problem Reply with quote

I recently had a similar problem because I (stupidly) deleted the lib64 link to the /lib directory (I'm running Gentoo AMD64). Then, as you found, no command worked - I couldn't even recreate the link :cry: . I then happened upon a command sitting in the lib directory that got things working again:
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path <PATH> <COMMAND> <OPTIONS>
so I typed:
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path /lib /bin/ln -s /lib /lib64
and got my system back 8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: