Color Tuning
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:22 am    Post subject: Color Tuning Reply with quote

Here is the deal... I have 2 montors that I use for my computer, both of which I got for from my father who got them for free from work and fixed them. They are both Princeton Graphics Systems Ultra 51 montors, and for the most part are pretty nice. The problem is, one of the isn't very crisp (it used to be down right blurring but I've opened it up and adjusted it so it is quite a bit clearer... But still too fuzzy for my likeing at 1024x768..) And the other one has a slight tint of green to it. (Uhh.. I think it's green... Haven't used it in a while...)

In windows I was able to use some software to adjust the picture, things like gamma value (independently for red green and blue) and I believe relative strengths of the red green and blue components of the VGA signal... How would I go about doing something like this in linux?

I have both a Geforce2mx and a Voodoo3. I would like to have both monitors hooked up (preferably the crisp monitor with the color problem to the nvidia, but I'll go with whatever works if only one card can do the adjustments...) using the crips monitor for most things, and using the other mainly as an output for xawtv. So I would prefer being able to adjust each monitor independently... but if it can't be done then I'll just forget about using one of the monitors ;)

Any help?
sa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try `xgamma`, part of xfree86.
I have never had two screens at once, mabey you can tweak each independently with the -d display argument... oh and I see theres a -screen argument too....

:-)
cya,
sa
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo!
Thanks. I take it this will have to be run everytime I start X?

*sigh* I guess it's time to finally set up that .xinitrc file I didn't want to make...
nalin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drakonite wrote:
Woohoo!

look here to startup x with the gamma settings you want (monitor specific). Its through the x86config rather than xinitrc and requires little tweaking
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nalin wrote:
drakonite wrote:
Woohoo!

look here to startup x with the gamma settings you want (monitor specific). Its through the x86config rather than xinitrc and requires little tweaking

Thanks, I did find that a day or two after this thread had stopped. I just wish I could find a wizard based adjuster.... If I knew the exact principle that the one I had for windows used I'd make my own...

My GPG/PGP Public key
nalin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you still have the one for windows you might try checking the gamma settings it uses, increasing them by 25% or so and plugging them into X...on that note I think there are command to tweak.

Also here is an xgamma frontend...I havent tried it...i only tweak brightness becuase my monitor sucks and x default is a bit dark for gaming in general on my system, but you might find this or similar things on google to try
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll have to check that out.

It just hit me... I think I know how the windows based wizard works now... Just had to think about it for a while ;) Now if I only knew how to make dithered color in gimp...

My GPG/PGP Public key
Kaali
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most monitors (at least in my old Nokia) is RGB-screws you can use to calibrate it. I don't like to fix hardware problems with software :D
And in almost all of the new monitors, is a secret maintenance-menu. I know the thing for Nokia.. you can set a LOT of nice settings in there. Try to ask from a local computer-hardware store or something.
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaali wrote:
In most monitors (at least in my old Nokia) is RGB-screws you can use to calibrate it. I don't like to fix hardware problems with software :D
And in almost all of the new monitors, is a secret maintenance-menu. I know the thing for Nokia.. you can set a LOT of nice settings in there. Try to ask from a local computer-hardware store or something.

I had this monitor opened up before to try to align the colors correctly.. I couldn't find any RGB-screws when I had it open (I looked too... I was wanting my other monitor fixed pretty badly;))

I've heard about the secret combos before... I've also heard that in some cases if you don't have the manual to follow exactly you can really mess up the monitor... And unfortunatly the people at the local computer shops around here aren't very friendly so I doubt they'd tell me the secret combo even if they knew it... If you happen to know where I can find info about it for a Princenton Graphics Systesm 51 Ultra let me know ;)

My GPG/PGP Public key
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: