ibook & 2.6.11 - sleep & temperature
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eldomir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: ibook & 2.6.11 - sleep & temperature Reply with quote

After trying development-sources-2.6.11 on my ibook G4 for a while, I have to say sleep works very nicely (including USB on wake-up), and I'm quite happy with it. There are only two things that bother me:

1. It runs hot. Even when idling, it will slowly go up until it reaches around 47C and won't go below that. On OSX it runs a few degrees colder than that.

2. When I put it to sleep in OSX, I can hear the little click-n-whirr of what I think is the hard-drive. But in Linux, besides that, I also hear a louder "clack" that seems to happen when the screen is turned off and seems to come from it. I really don't like that sound, it sort of worrying :P

Does anyone else have these issues? Have you tried 2.6.12, and if so, does it solve them?
aronchi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must load this module: therm_adt746x

I haven't used the 2.6.12-rc1 kernel, and now I have a problem with sleep (I did something that broken my sleep function, but I don't know what). hope I will get it work again soon.

Can you send me your pbbuttonsd.conf and /etc/power dir?
JDCentral
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed gentoo-sources-2.6.10 on my powerbook, and the thing is WHISPER quiet.

It's quite amazing - MUCH quieter than it was on OS X.
Unless I'm compiling, or doing something intensive (in which case, all the fans kick on... which is better then the fans NOT coming on, as this would probably cause some damage).

when I had gentoo installed, previously, I remember the notebook being fairly loud - be sure you have some sort of cpu-management installed, and check out the power management guide under the Documents section on gentoo.org - this helped my machine out, alot.

As for the 'clunk' noise... I'm not really sure what that could be.. .even when my hard-drive spins down, it's usually just a 'whirring' noise. Unless you have that new 'protection' thing, that quickly locks all the heads in place to keep the disc from being damaged.

Athlon XP-Mobile Barton 2600+ @ 200x12.5
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe. rev 2.0
1GB OCZ Performance PC3200 RAM
Sapphire X1650 Pro 256MB GDDR3
2x120GB Seagate 7200.1 IDE Drives
1x320GB Seagate SATA Drive
Eldomir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers, guys - I'm surprised no one else has the same problems as me though :P Anyway, I do have therm_adt476x (whatever its name is, don't know if I typed it right), and I enable speedfreq at boot, and I think I follow all the other recommendations in the handbook and the forums to the letter - it still gets hotter than OSX, so I thought it could be this kernel version. I'll try 2.6.12 and report back.

As for the "clack" when going to sleep it sounds like the screen, not the hd, but unless anyone else reports it might be just a strange thing particular to my computer.
antrix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an ibook g4 too, and I can confirm that i have the same "clack" sound. This sound does not occur in OS X.
I agree... it does not sound very healthy :( ... but probably nothing bad.

I will compile 2.6.11 tonight and report back (i got the clacking sound previously using yellow dog).

| 2.6.11-gentoo-r6 PPC 7447A, altivec supported PowerBook6,5 GNU/Linux | (My iBook G4)
Eldomir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, I'm not alone! ;) Well, I've tried compiling the 2.6.11 kernel with several different configurations and no matter what I do, I still get the sound when it goes to sleep. I've never tried any kernel version that allowed sleep before on any distro, so I don't really have anything to compare with besides OSX. I'm glad it happened with YDL too, so it's not a gentoo thing.

As for the temp, even forcing the CPU frequency to half the maximum, it doesn't go below 47C. I tried using 2.6.12_rc2 but I couldn't get it to compile, so I'll wait until it's more stable I guess...
JDCentral
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's odd because there shouldn't be anything in the screen that would make a noise like that...
The backlight shutting off on my TiBook sometimes makes an almost inaudible 'click'. I mean, the screen is really just a LCD panel and a backlight, both of which are devices without moving parts (As far as I know, anyway).

Is it coming from the machine? or from the speakers? If I have the volume turned up pretty high, I'll get a 'clicking' type noise when alsa is shut down.

Athlon XP-Mobile Barton 2600+ @ 200x12.5
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe. rev 2.0
1GB OCZ Performance PC3200 RAM
Sapphire X1650 Pro 256MB GDDR3
2x120GB Seagate 7200.1 IDE Drives
1x320GB Seagate SATA Drive
Eldomir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried muting the sound and (just in case) turning volume down all the way, but the noise was exactly the same. Blah! :P
antrix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.

I had my ibook plugged into the hi-fi system and when i shut the lid the sound came out of the hi-fi instead... So it is the speakers that make this sound... So its nothing to worry about. :)

Just thought I'd let you know.

| 2.6.11-gentoo-r6 PPC 7447A, altivec supported PowerBook6,5 GNU/Linux | (My iBook G4)
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't hear an unusual click when putting to sleep my G3-600 iBook.

But I fully agree to the heat problem. My fan is working all the time, but it isn't with OSX.
cpufreq is switching dynamically 600-400 Mhz.
I am giving laptopmode a try to be turned on also with ac on, because it's getting cooler when ac is unplugged.
But no improvement at the moment. (ok, it's summer with 30 degree in my room).
By the way, this therm_ module doesn't load for my G3, but the fan is already controled don't know how: The speed is changing and sometimes it's even turning off (rarely).

When I plug off ac, the fan turns off after a while. I can't understand, what is still the difference between ac off and on, because I even set powersave for acon in cpufreqd and also laptopmode to start in /etc/power/pmcs-config. There should be no difference between ac on and off now, but the fan differs.

I am also looking for a replacement fan, because it's unusual noisy like clattering.
DrZoidberg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My iBook G4 1.2GHz runs cooler in linux, assuming you can belive that temptool (under OS X) and /sys/devices/temperatures/cpu_temperature are both correct. This is because therm_adt746x's default fan control is paranoid.

therm_adt746x turns the fan on a lot more than Panther's fan control does. When my system gets to about 50 C in linux the fan comes on low speed. Under Panther, no fans come on until the temp approaches 60 C. I noticed that the area to the left of the trackpad stays a lot cooler in linux. I think that's where the hard disk is. Any activity more CPU intensive than mp3 playing/web browsing causes my fan to switch on in linux because the temp goes to 50-54 C. Under Panther, according to temptool, the temp is around 55 C doing the same activities.

In OS X, I have cpu frequency scaling enabled and the hard disk set to sleep when idle. In linux I use cpudynd to control CPU speed and put the drive to sleep.
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. So what is the fan of my G3 controled by? There is no therm_ module running and available (i think). Your therm_adt746x doesn't load here (device error).
If you're saying linux starts cooling earlier than OSX does, this would be the reason why I hear the fans only on Linux.
Concerning the temperature I don't know if OSX stays cooler.
Are you able to modify your therm_ module? And is there something similar for G3, because the fan is controled anyhow.

hddtemp tells about my 20GB Hitachi drive being around 55°C. I think this device is mostly responsible for the heat, more then the CPU (am I wrong?)
colinleroy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older G3 laptop fans are controlled entirely in hardware; the newer ones, AFAIK, have an external driver available, therm_adm103x.

Also, yes, therm_adt746x is more paranoid by default, as I prefer avoiding to destroy people's hardware :-) But you can tweak the limit using a parameter (limit_adjust=5 for example will make the limit 55 instead of 50), or dynamically with `echo 5 > /sys/devices/temperatures/limit_adjust`.
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found something interesting:
http://cedric.pradalier.free.fr/ibook2/
With this patch and the module therm-adm... I am now able to contol my iBook-fan. :) :)

But I am not sure about this howto: lm_sensors still doesn't work, and with loaded therm_adm... module sensors-detect can't even find the sensor device. I can't get i2c-keywest patched, because of an error in the last line.
I am confused about the "note: "-section in the howto.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: