Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
how long before xorg7 considered stable?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Intangir
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: how long before xorg7 considered stable? Reply with quote

i really want to try out that multiseat support but the instructions for installing xorg7 from the masked package seem very very complicated and im afraid to even try it for fear or ruining my desktop

is there a simpler procedure for installing xorg7 yet?

also approx how long before it is considered stable enough to were i can just emerge it like any other package?
krigav
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it takes :wink:
Without joking: Maybe you can install a small gentoo test system on a separate partition where you can give xorg7 a try without taking the risk of messing up your gentoo installation.

HTH
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: how long before xorg7 considered stable? Reply with quote

Intangir wrote:
i really want to try out that multiseat support but the instructions for installing xorg7 from the masked package seem very very complicated and im afraid to even try it for fear or ruining my desktop

is there a simpler procedure for installing xorg7 yet?

also approx how long before it is considered stable enough to were i can just emerge it like any other package?

Well, usually, while important bugs are being submited, there is no chance still for it to get into stable. Take into account that now you have many hundreds of small ebuilds, instead of a single monolithic one. This makes the process of hanling all these deps very considerable. The release has been made by the X guys, but the ebuilds for Gentoo are really complicated to manage. Still, it seems pretty stable now, and you should not run into any important problem if you plan to install it. Anyway, in these cases I always recommend to use a spare partition, intall it while you are wonking into your current system, and when it is ready just add a new entry in grub.conf and try it.

Anyway, there is no vital reason to switch to 7.0. As you can read in the Xorg home page the source code of 6.9 and 7.0 is IDENTICAL, the only difference is the use of all the new make facilities available nowadays (which is what made it so easy to modularize it). The only practical reasons to install 7.0 instead 6.9 are:

1.- To test, contribute or whatever.
2.- To save disk space. This is not so much still, since the biggest part are the bitmap fonts and 6.9 can also be compiled without them.
ne0_2k
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ,

is 6.9 stable ? i coudln't find any ebuilds for 6.9. i have the 6 8's and 7 but no 6.9

am i looking in the wrong place ?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ne0_2k wrote:
hi ,

is 6.9 stable ? i coudln't find any ebuilds for 6.9. i have the 6 8's and 7 but no 6.9

Sometimes the namings in portage are a bit strange. I think that the 6.9 release is portage is the one numbered as "6.8.99.15-r4". Can anyone confirm this? I have been using 7.0 for a while and don't remember right now...
ne0_2k
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6thpink wrote:
ne0_2k wrote:
hi ,

Sometimes the namings in portage are a bit strange. I think that the 6.9 release is portage is the one numbered as "6.8.99.15-r4". Can anyone confirm this? I have been using 7.0 for a while and don't remember right now...

that i do see. but its also masked.. is it simpler to install than 7 though ?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 is modular, and that is where the difficulty is. All the releases below 7 are monolithic, that means that you emerge 6.8.99 like you would go with any other 6.8 or 6.7 release. So, yes, it is easier, you will not have any of the troubles that the modular release has. It should run just as any other usual update. Anyway, note that while 6.9 is just arch masked (wich means it is not tested enough) 7.0 is hard masked (which means it is not ready for normal use in production machines because it can contain severe bugs and some things may not work at all.

To unmask the 6.8.99 release you just need to include this line into your package.keywords
Code:

=x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.99.15-r4

To unmask the 7.0 release you will need to include a couple of hundreds of packages in both, package.keywords and package.unmask.
ne0_2k
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm.. it wasn't just arch masked its hard masked for me. i added the line u specified to packages.unmask and that opened it up for me.
thanks
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6.8.99 is a beta version. It's very old and I think before the rc releases even. There is a 6.9 ebuild in teh Unsupported section somewhere, just go there and browse.

There is no 6.9 ebuild in portage because they want to move to the modular ebuilds for X.
Intangir
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is this unsupported section?
i might try 6.9 if i can find a decent ebuild for it
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that StifflerStealth is talking about the "Unsupported Software" section on these forums. Concretyle this thread:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-396898-highlight-xorg6+9.html
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. That's what I was referring to. People have had some great success with that. I read these forums too much. *cough*
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: