What is wrong with my kernel?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Changty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: What is wrong with my kernel? Reply with quote

Hi!

I am having one problem, it seems to be with the kernel. On a boot Grub loads fine, and also the kernel on the beginning, but when it has loaded some usb stuff it freezes. This was second time i installed gentoo, and first time i compiled some other stuff in kernel and it freezed after some intel soundcard, i think. Can you tell me what is wrong?
jmercer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to try is to not compile the usb components into the kernel and just compile them as modules. There are 3 different ways to handle the usb in the kernel, 1 of them (I think the 2nd in the group) is the common way, but your hardware may be different. Once you have the 3 modules you can install the modules one at a time and try to find the one that works for you. If you insmod the correct one, you should see usb info when you run the command "dmesg", if you unplug & plug in a usb device you'll see it getting assigned am address there. Once you find the one that works you can either add the module name to /etc/modules.autoload or recompile the kernel with this module built in (and don't make the modules for the others).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: