View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r0dzilla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: gnome volume mgr/applet mounting.... [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I've got dbus, hal and gnome-volume-manager installed and they are running

I am mounting things via the disk mounter applet... To my knowledge, removable devices are not auto-mounting...

the mount points in /media are owned by root:root so it won't let a user modify the contents...

Is there some config file I need to set or should I not be using gnome-volume-manager and the mounter applet together?

How do I let gnome-volume-manager/hal automatically set mount points and fstab entries, but yet allow users to access the devices?

Thanks!

Last edited by r0dzilla on Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure gnome-volume-manager is running? You need to start it manually the first time after you install it by runnng the configuration application. It's called Removable Drives and Media in the Gnome Menu (you ned to save your session after this to make sure it autostarts the next time). Also, try removing any entries in your fstab that refer to those devices. HAL will automatically add them for you the first time you use the device and the mount points have changed from the traditional /mnt to /media.
r0dzilla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnome-volume-manager is running. I removed the applet for now and it now puts icons on the desktop when I plug in a usb device (thumb drive or external hard drive) or insert a CD - without waiting for me to click the mount button on the applet.

I knew about the change from /mnt to /media, but the main problem though is my user account doesn't have permission to write to the drive. Everything in /media is owned by root:root. I would have thought that the group would have been something else, like media or hotplug or something. That way you could add a user account to that group...

I haven't tried modifying the perms of the mount points, but I would think gnome-volume-manager would do that or provide control over that through the "removable drives and media" dialog.

Maybe there was an update to /etc/group that I passed over during an etc-update?
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r0dzilla, write permission should be in the fstab itself. The entires should have "user" in them under the opts column.

You removed your manual entries from fstab?
New ones were added automatically the first time you used the device?
CD's and DVD's will always show up as read only, even if they are CD-R(W) or DVD-R(W). You should still be able to write to them with cdrecord or cdrdao.
Things like USB flash drives and floppies should be mounted read/write automatically.
r0dzilla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the wierd thing is I can manually mount /media/usbdisk as a regular user, but I can't even do a
Code:
$ touch /media/usbdisk/foo
once it's mounted (I get permission denied), but I can do it as root...

I have remarked out all my old fstab entries for removable devices...
r0dzilla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is an actual example:
Code:
rodzilla@voyager ~ $ mount /media/usbdisk
rodzilla@voyager ~ $ touch /media/usbdisk/foo
touch: cannot touch `/media/usbdisk/foo': Permission denied
rodzilla@voyager ~ $ sudo touch /media/usbdisk/foo
rodzilla@voyager ~ $

I'm also having a bit of trouble with a removable 20gig mini-hd, gnome-volume-manager keeps appending "iocharset=utf8" to the fstab entry. The drive will not mount with this setting, if I edit /etc/fstab and take the "iocharset=utf8" out, it will mount.

here are the fstab entries gnome-volume-manager is creating:
Code:
/dev/sdd1               /media/ROD_S_20GIG      vfat    user,exec,noauto,iocharset=utf8,managed 0 0
/dev/sdc1               /media/usbdisk          reiserfs user,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

The first one is the mini-hd removable with the "iocharset=utf8" problem. The second one is the external usb enclosure (160gb hd) that my original post was about.

I find it odd that my non-root account can mount the external usb enclosure, but not write to it...

And speaking of the mini-hd, once I remove the iocharset thing, I can mount AND write to it as a regular user...

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
omeyotl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the exact same problem r0dzilla.

My external USB drive has one big NTFS partition. When logged in as root or a normal user, Gnome puts an icon for it in my Computer folder on my desktop. When I double click this icon logged in as root the drive is automatically mounted and opened. I can browse the drive with no problems.

Logged in as a normal user (I only tried it as root as a test), I get the icon, but when I click it I get a "Unable to view contents, you do not have permission to view Media" message. It mounts fine, icon appears on my desktop and I can unmount it. Seems the only thing I can not do is actually browse the drive's contents (while a normal user).

Changing fstab does nothing because the entry is put there by fstab-sync and only appears when the drive is plugged in, which is how I want it to work. I need to be able to browse it as a normal user though as well. I'm sure it has something to do with the hal device properties, fstab-sync defaults, or udev rules, but I have not solved it yet (and that is a ton of info to wade through, but I'm giving it a shot).

I'll update if I find a solution using gnome-volume-manager....otherwise I guess I'll just manually edit fstab and do it that way. There must be a way to get it to work for non-root users if it works for root. At least I hope so.
r0dzilla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also having a different problem with removable fat32 drives (usb thumb drives, 2.5" enclosures and 3.5" enclosures).

I'm going to start a new thread for that one though...
r0dzilla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, seems like I got it working now, I changed permissions on the mount both with the drive mounted and unmounted and now it lets the user write to it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: