View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caecusum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: New user, WM/DE help Reply with quote

I've just got Gentoo (and *NIX for that matter) for the first time. My question now, obviously a simple one for most of you, is as follows:
What exactly do I need to do to have a working desktop? In the /etc/rc.conf file I see

DISPLAYMANAGER="xdm"

and

XSESSION="Gnome"

I haven't emerged either and so my system just boots to a prompt. Should I just emerge fluxbox and set XSESSION="Fluxbox" ? Do I need to install XDM as well? Thanks for helping a new user out.

P.S. If this is in the stickies or FAQs, I appologize. I tried searching to no avail.
whitesouls
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D ...have you decided what WM to choose or are you the person who can't stick to one WM and would like to change according to your mood?

decide this first..

Please insert the [SOLVED] tag if your problem is solved in your respective thread.
Given M. Sur
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not need a display manager, unless you want one. So you can leave that commented out, or you can emerge one (xdm, gdm, kdm, or entrance) and set it to that.

For the XSESSION, if your going to be using Fluxbox then you'll want it to be XSESSION="fluxbox" (note the lowercase 'f').
martoni
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off "Welcome to Gentoo!"

Second off; according to many you already have a working desktop. The command line is extremely powerful and most (if not all) tasks can be done from the command line. I suppose that you want a comfortable windowed desktop.
First you need to
Code:
emerge xorg-x11
(you'll get Xdm with that). Then you can chose a WM/DE. Indeed I would suppose
Code:
emerge fluxbox
is what you do if you want that environment. Personally I'd go for Enlightenment (for a WM) or KDE (for a DE) but this is not the place for WM/DE flame wars - Gentoo is about choice!

Your assumptions are correct to get Fluxbox running. What you also need to do to get X to start at boot time is
Code:
rc-update add xdm default
or you need to run startx from the CLI.
caecusum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since I'm a brand-spankin' new Linux user I don't have the experience to make a solid decision of my own. I'm not terribly spastic about changing things around regularly and Fluxbox seems to be highly favored and even won the users choice award on linuxquestions.org.

Fluxbox is a WM, right? :D If so, that's my choice.[/i]
Given M. Sur
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yogi85 wrote:
are you the person who can't stick to one WM and would like to change according to your mood?

Actually, you don't really need to decide that. If you like to change WMs alot then just leave XSESSION commented out. Then when you want to start a particular WM you can do
Code:
XSESSION="the-wm-Im-about-to-use" startx

Or (this is actually what I do) you can use aliases (or scripts) for each WM. For instance, to start enlightenment I just type e16 because I have an alias set for "alias e16=XSESSION="enlightenment" startx"
caecusum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Thanks for the easy-to-follow and extremely speedy responses. Here goes nothin'
:D
I have a feeling I'm going to like this place.
Given M. Sur
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caecusum wrote:
Well, since I'm a brand-spankin' new Linux user I don't have the experience to make a solid decision of my own. I'm not terribly spastic about changing things around regularly and Fluxbox seems to be highly favored and even won the users choice award on linuxquestions.org.

Fluxbox is a WM, right? :D If so, that's my choice.[/i]
For goodness sake, please try at least a few WMs. Fluxbox is not for everyone. A lot of power users like it because it is lightweight. A lot of new Linux users dislike it because it is harder to configure than others.

Don't just choose one because it won a users choice award. WM selection is the topic of many a flamewar because they each have their pros and cons. You need to find the one which has pros and cons that suit your needs.

So, try fluxbox, try Gnome, try KDE, try XFCE, and try enlightenment (my personal favorite). And maybe try a few more. But for goodness sake, don't only try one!

caecusum wrote:
Wow. Thanks for the easy-to-follow and extremely speedy responses. Here goes nothin'
Very Happy
I have a feeling I'm going to like this place.
Yeah, these forums are the best!
rush_ad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, you will.
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a Openbox as a WM and then the Xfce4 taskbar and panel to polish it off.

Screenshot

Openbox is faster than Fluxbox and it renders fonts better so give it a shot. :)
caecusum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the interest of testing several WM/DEs: is it a painless process to "emerge --unmerge" the ones I've decided NOT to use?

@ Pwnz3r - So if I wanted to test a setup like yours I would set DISPLAY MANAGER="openbox" and XSESSION="xfce4" after emerging both?

Last edited by caecusum on Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caecusum wrote:
In the interest of testing several WM/DEs: is it a painless process to "emerge --unmerge" the ones I've decided NOT to use?

Yeah, it is painless. Tip: `emerge -C` does the same thing as `emerge --unmerge` but takes less time to type. :wink:
martoni
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It usually is, unless you emerge something like the monolithic KDE package, when you risk filling your disk with stuff you never use - there is kde-meta to be had, which just installs the basic stuff.
Using something like Kuroo or Porthole you can easily see what's installed and what you want to remove.
TanNewt
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, pretty much. That will however leave any dependencies installed with the WM/DE. I'm not sure how-to get them all. Personally, I'm a fluxbox fan.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: