Xserve G5 and Fusion MPT drivers
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
probate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Xserve G5 and Fusion MPT drivers Reply with quote

First a bit of history.
We have an Xserve G5 and an X-RAID. We found OSX not too hot at being a server, so have been trying Linux distros on the Xserve. We had it working with YellowDog Linux (V4.0), but found NFS to be flakey often causing the server to hang. Now we want Gentoo. We use it in production on x86 servers and have found it to be rock solid. :D

Problem.
We have been able to install both the PPC and PPC64 versions successfully on the Xserve, although in both cases we had to get the config files from the livecd kernels to use as a starting point. Apple have a fibre-channel PCI-X card that is used to connect to the X-RAID. This works with the Fusion MPT drivers (it appears to have both the LSI FC929 and 53C1030 chips). It worked under YellowDog on the Xserve, and we have plugged the card into an x86 server running Gentoo (2.6.10-r6) and it works.

Under PPC Gentoo (2.6.10-r6), the kernel fails to initialise the fibre-channel card - and goes into panic before it boots. I have tried adjusting a number of different kernel parameters (comparing configs with the booting x86 server), but to no avail. As it never boots I can't give you dmesg output, but it complains about trying to start up ioc0 and ioc1 after it starts the Fusion MPT driver (no sure if this is helpful).

Getting very frustrated now. :evil: Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
EvilTwinSkippy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Not really a reply Reply with quote

I'd just like to confirm that I too have this problem. I get 2 tux logos before the livecd locks up.

When I attempted to install using Ubuntu I saw the error you described. I was able to do a test install of Ubuntu with the Fibre channel card removed. I've tried uplugged the cables coming out of Fibre Channel. I've given token offerings to the random number god. I'm at wits end as well.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: