NTFS forensics on gentoo???
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gripp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: NTFS forensics on gentoo??? Reply with quote

not sure where this post should go... but since dealing with mounting issues is fairly common under this category.. i figured this would be the best place

my normal computer recently died, the mobo brown-spotted from what i can guess
but in the mean time i need to access/copy files from my drives
now, the only other computer i own is this one which is running gentoo, and seeing that it is a mer 9GB drive, i dont think making a dual boot is an option 8O
this really has two problems attatched to it:

1.) this computer is SCSI based, it aparently has support for EIDE, as shown here but i'm not completely sure how this works... i've never tried plugging a standard drive into a SCSI controler... shoot me!
chances are this willho[pefully be a none issue, but i thought it should be pointed out

2.) what steps do i need to take to get gentoo to recogniz/mount/read this NTFS based drive??
i seriously dont know where to begin with this... would i just call it hda1 (my current is sda1-3) and mount it to some point say /drive2? maybe i have to edit the grub to include the drive on boot? maybe my fstab needs to be edited too?

ya, this might be completely simple.. or maybe its not possible without the use of extra special softwares (or even just an emulator?), i really have no clue!! i have yet to even install linux on a comp with more than one drive, so i'm not even sure how that works! --- please throw the ubern00b a bone here!
SubTexel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: NTFS forensics on gentoo??? Reply with quote

Gripp wrote:
not sure where this post should go... but since dealing with mounting issues is fairly common under this category.. i figured this would be the best place

my normal computer recently died, the mobo brown-spotted from what i can guess
but in the mean time i need to access/copy files from my drives
now, the only other computer i own is this one which is running gentoo, and seeing that it is a mer 9GB drive, i dont think making a dual boot is an option 8O
this really has two problems attatched to it:

1.) this computer is SCSI based, it aparently has support for EIDE, as shown here but i'm not completely sure how this works... i've never tried plugging a standard drive into a SCSI controler... shoot me!
chances are this willho[pefully be a none issue, but i thought it should be pointed out

2.) what steps do i need to take to get gentoo to recogniz/mount/read this NTFS based drive??
i seriously dont know where to begin with this... would i just call it hda1 (my current is sda1-3) and mount it to some point say /drive2? maybe i have to edit the grub to include the drive on boot? maybe my fstab needs to be edited too?

ya, this might be completely simple.. or maybe its not possible without the use of extra special softwares (or even just an emulator?), i really have no clue!! i have yet to even install linux on a comp with more than one drive, so i'm not even sure how that works! --- please throw the ubern00b a bone here!

See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2236803-highlight-.html#2236803

Should set you in the right direction..
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SubTexel wrote:

See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2236803-highlight-.html#2236803

Should set you in the right direction..

Moved to Duplicate Threads.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1