Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Reiserfs problem? 17 gb usage on 38gb partition = 2gb free?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
specor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reiserfs problem? 17 gb usage on 38gb partition = 2gb free? Reply with quote

I'm having trouble justifying some math with my /dev/hda3 root partition. "df" reports Disk usage is ~ 36 gigabytes, with 2gb free. However, why I run "du -bS > temp.csv" from "/" as superuser, and load temp.csv into gnumeric, I get a grand sum of 17gb in files and directories. Am I missing something?

If reiserfs is somehow responsible for this, how can I run reiserfsck at boot time? Or is there a safe way to do this from console?

Thanks in advance!

Sean.
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are known problems with reiserfs and the gentoo-sources kernel. Check bugzilla.
fifo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can think of some legitimate reasons why du might report more space used than df (say because it's counting files that are actually stored on a different partition) but it shouldn't be reporting 19gb less. Presumably "du -bs /" reports a similar shortfall?

The easiest way to run a fsck is probably to boot from the livecd and run it from there.
specor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips! I'll check bugzilla, and later boot from my livecd if need be. I hadn't thought of that :) Thankfully you did!

Sean.
specor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reiserfsck didn't solve the problem. Reply with quote

I checked the partition with Reiserfsck and no problems were reported. Before I leap ahead with a --rebuild-tree I'll wait until my new 60gb drive arrives on Friday, so I can back up this partition :). Hopefully at some point I'll find the other half of my 38gb!

Sean.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: