Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Stage 1/3 Installation Support - 2005.0 & GCC 3.4.3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 22, 23, 24  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll, if you look at those two downloads realative to the 53 downloads of the universal x86 live-cd, it makes sense proportionally. It also shows how unpopular bittorrent is compared to the fast gentoo mirrors. :wink:
gdoubleu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P's 2004.3 stage 1 on a stage 3 wrote:
Any Gentoo installation that is performed with anything other than a Stage 3 tarball suffers from two problems: They suffer from circular dependencies within the base system, and they have the potential to leave behind unwanted files from the stage tarball because /var/db/pkg is incomplete.

So does 2005.0 resolve these issues? Is the short time to a "usable" system the only remaining benefit of the stage 1 on a 3 install with 2005.0?
kTmrider
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob and company,

Thanks, you did a great job of providing a concise guide to installing your creative art. I am much obliged. I think the devs, of the official handbook, should model your to the point and easy to follow document.

I have a question though, would someone please fill in the missing blanks at this particular point of the documentation.
This is my first install of a Linux sys...
Quote:

9.3.2 Configure Kernel Options

... When configuring your kernel, be sure to include support for hotplug firmware loading. Also be sure to remove devfs filesystem support, as we are designing udev support into our system.

Code:

# cd /usr/src/linux
# make menuconfig

How do I include hotplug; remove devfs; and I wasn't able to cd /usr/src/linux

thanks,
ambitious learner
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gdoubleu wrote:
Is the short time to a "usable" system the only remaining benefit of the stage 1 on a 3 install with 2005.0?

short time to a "usable" system"?!? :?: :!: :?:

HAH! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kTmrider wrote:
Quote:

9.3.2 Configure Kernel Options

... When configuring your kernel, be sure to include support for hotplug firmware loading. Also be sure to remove devfs filesystem support, as we are designing udev support into our system.

Code:

# cd /usr/src/linux
# make menuconfig

you need to "/" search for kernel config options.

How do I include hotplug; remove devfs; and I wasn't able to cd /usr/src/linux

thanks,
ambitious learner

if you don't know how to configure a kernel, then this installation method may not be the best one for you.

OTOH, if you just don't know where to find a kernel config option, try slash searching for the relevant text. that should get you to the right page.
kTmrider
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I am sorry. I'm still in a early familiarization stage. Would you elaborate please?

I intend to spread the good will, as well, once I am able.

Edit: Quite frankly, I wish you would write all the docs around here. I'll see what I can find.

Thank you
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are in the early familiarization stage, i would recommend that you DO NOT follow this installation method. this is an advanced/expert installation method, and its not recommended for less experienced gentoo users, not to mention totally new users to gentoo.

if you can't even configure your kernel, then you'll never be able to troubleshoot the problems that will come up when you follow this installation method. my recommendation, in all candor, is to follow the Gentoo Installation Handbook and install a Stage 3 tarball wtih genkernel. then, once you've become proficient at basic kernel configuration, configure your kernel, and when everything is working right, then consider this installation method.
kTmrider
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respectfully understood.

The bottom line is, there could definitely be a little more thought put in to the official docs. Precise and concise is all that's needed. I have a goal to start an open source documentation project in the near future. To provide unified, thorough, and illustrative docs to the communities.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are as unhappy with the state of Gentoo documentation as i was when i was a new user, i would recommend that you do exactly what i did: read alot, learn what you can about Gentoo, and then write a better installation manual.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:arrow: New Post in the Documentation Tips & Tricks Forum: Installing Gentoo 2005.0: Stage 1 NPTL on a Stage 3 Tarball

Now that the kinks seem to have been worked out of the Stage 1/3 Guide for 2005.0, the first post in this thread has been split-off as a HOW-TO in the Documentation Tips & Tricks Forum. This thread will now serve as the Official Support Thread.
kTmrider
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
if you are as unhappy with the state of Gentoo documentation as i was when i was a new user, i would recommend that you do exactly what i did: read alot, learn what you can about Gentoo, and then write a better installation manual.

Thanks, I am working on it...
gdoubleu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
short time to a "usable" system"?!? :?: :!: :?:

HAH! :lol: :lol: :lol:

short time to a usable system in the regards that i can do a stage 3 install then upgrade/rebuild my toolchain after the system is up and running. while taking more time overall than the steps mentioned in this howto, i can have a usable system at an ealier point in time.
gdoubleu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gdoubleu wrote:
Bob P's 2004.3 stage 1 on a stage 3 wrote:
Any Gentoo installation that is performed with anything other than a Stage 3 tarball suffers from two problems: They suffer from circular dependencies within the base system, and they have the potential to leave behind unwanted files from the stage tarball because /var/db/pkg is incomplete.

So does 2005.0 resolve these issues?

What about this? I thought I read that this had been fixed in 2005.0, but wanted to confirm the fact. I thought these problems were the motivation behind the stage 1on3 install in the first place.

In other words, what now is the fundamental difference between a 2005.0 stage 1 install and a 2005.0 stage 1on3 install?
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gdoubleu wrote:

What about this? I thought I read that this had been fixed in 2005.0, but wanted to confirm the fact. I thought these problems were the motivation behind the stage 1on3 install in the first place.

In other words, what now is the fundamental difference between a 2005.0 stage 1 install and a 2005.0 stage 1on3 install?

I originally started doing an install similar to the stage 1on3 because everytime I bootstrapped, something with the compiler failed while bootstrapping. With unpacking a stage3 tarball you have a fully working compiler.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Copy-paste Reply with quote

LucaSpiller wrote:
I did a bit of reasearch and found that enabling sandbox mode can sometimes cause errors when compiling glibc, so I disabled it (removing sandbox and usersandbox from /etc/make.conf FEATURES="...") and I didn't get the above error any more. :D Unfortunately I got another one, but sort of removed the screen instead of detaching it - so I will post the results later. :wink:

there are some real problems that pop-up now and then with the FEATURES userprivs and usersandbox. using those features is actully a great idea from a security standpoint, but unfortunately the portage tree is full of ebuilds that tend to crap out when they are enabled. in the interest of gaining real stability at the expense of potentially trading off theoretical security enhancements that these features provide, i've taken them out of make.conf.

i would not recommend taking sandbox out of your features statement though. i'd leave that one in.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gdoubleu wrote:

GCC. this is clearly explained in the HowTo. you need to read farther down than the text you quoted.

if you're intersted in installing a new system and getting the GCC 3.4.3 compiler, you only have two real choices:

1. Stage 1 on 3 install (works)
2. Stage 1 install, bootstrapping an ~arch toolkit (may not work)

for all the new users who aren't familiar with this installation method: if you can't see a good reason to use this installation method instead of the traditional installation methods, then this installation method is not for you.
Freedmont
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
if you're intersted in installing a new system and getting the GCC 3.4.3 compiler, you only have two real choices:

1. Stage 1 on 3 install (works)
2. Stage 1 install, bootstrapping an ~arch toolkit (may not work)

If I want GCC 3.4.3 (built with 3.4.3), but I originally built my boxes using 2004.x Stage 1, would you recommend cutting my losses, blowing everything away and re-installing using Stage 1 on Stage 3?
racoontje
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this install on AMD64 and login broke (check topic in IG). Stage1 install will probably work, trying it out after installing FreeBSD.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GCC 3.4.3 is marked as stable branch on AMD64. so you don't need to do the package.keywords thing unless you want to try a testing branch AMD64 toolkit. if i were on AMD64, i would just stay with 100% stable branch GCC 3.4.3, toolkit, and system apps.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedmont wrote:
If I want GCC 3.4.3 (built with 3.4.3), but I originally built my boxes using 2004.x Stage 1, would you recommend cutting my losses, blowing everything away and re-installing using Stage 1 on Stage 3?

if you've successfully done a 2004.3 Stage 1 install then you've gotten past the circ depend problem. the problem with a 2004.3 Stage 1 install that still effects you is the incomplete package database. you probably won't notice any problems for quite some time, but eventually you are going to get spanked when you try to do an emerge --depclean or a revdep-rebuild. sooner or later your system will be borked, and you'll have to reinstall to fix things.

whether you decide to rebuild now, when its convenient, or when you are forced to do so is largely a matter of choice.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:arrow: Update to the Guide

I forgot to add that I made the following update to the Guide this weekend, in honor of the change to Daylight Savings Time:

Quote:

6.4.3 Get it Right for Daylight Savings Time.

The previous example showed how to select a city when setting the timezone symlink. It is my opinion that you should always choose a city that is in your time zone, and use the city to set the time zone symlink. You should NEVER choose a time zone as your symlink for the setting the time zone. Here's why:

I live in Chicago. By setting the timezone symlink to the city Chicago, I don't have to worry about implementing Daylight Savings Time. Linux is smart enough to spring forward and fall back so that no changes to the system time are necessary on my part. This past weekend, when Chicago changed from Central Standard Time to Central Daylight Time, I watched with glee as the clocks on all of my linux PCs ticked from 01:59:59 CST to 03:00:00 CDT. (Just in case you were wondering, THAT is confirmation that I am a basement-dwelling linux g33k!) If I had made the mistake of setting the timezone symlink to CST, then linux would have kept my PC's clock on CST, even though the city that I live in had switched to CDT. In this case, I would either have to manually change my clock over from CST to CDT, or learn to live with a PC who's clock is off by an hour.

zigver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm installing on a Thinkpad T42p and I've come across the same problem this fellow did:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-317385.html

Basically, I've followed the instructions perfectly, only changing some misc USE flags (like adding dvd support and removing gtk/gnome) and opted for the safer flags when compiling the second time in step 7.2.1 and using pentium-m as my march:

Code:
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium-m -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"

Then when emerging the system, it pukes on emerging python-fchksum saying pentium-m switch is a bad value. Anyone run into this and have a solution other than changing to -march=pentium3?
p1tst0p
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: libpng Reply with quote

Hi bob p,

Great how-to, thanks.

one thing, everything is working great, appart from part 10.3, ( gensplash ), this is trying to emerge libpng, and its failing with the following error,

Code:

i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -o pngtest-static -I/usr/include -Wall -O3 -march=pentium4 -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe -funroll-loops   pngtest.o -L/usr/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib libpng.a -lz -lm
/lib/libc.so.6: undefined reference to `___tls_get_addr@GLIBC_2.3'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [pngtest-static] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

!!! ERROR: media-libs/libpng-1.2.8 failed.

here is an output for emerge info,

Code:

speedy root # emerge info
Portage 2.0.51.19 (default-linux/x86/2005.0, gcc-3.4.3-20050110, glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1, 2.6.11-gentoo-r5 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.11-gentoo-r5 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.16
Python:              dev-lang/python-2.3.4-r1 [2.3.4 (#1, Apr  6 2005, 00:12:06)]
ccache version 2.3 [enabled]
dev-lang/python:     2.3.4-r1
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.59-r6, 2.13
sys-devel/automake:  1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.5, 1.4_p6, 1.6.3, 1.9.4
sys-devel/binutils:  2.15.92.0.2-r7
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.10-r4
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.8.1-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium4 -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium4 -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs autoconfig ccache distlocks sandbox sfperms userpriv usersandbox"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.blueyonder.co.uk http://gentoo.osuosl.org http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
MAKEOPTS="-j5"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 X alsa apm arts avi berkdb bitmap-fonts crypt cups emboss encode foomaticdb fortran gdbm gif gnome gpm gtk gtk2 imlib ipv6 jpeg kde libg++ libwww mad mikmod motif mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib perl png python qt quicktime readline sdl spell ssl svga tcpd truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts xml2 xmms xv zlib"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CBUILD, CTARGET, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS

and gcc-config -l

Code:
speedy root # gcc-config -l
[1] i386-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5
[2] i386-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-hardened
[3] i386-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-hardenednopie
[4] i386-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-hardenednossp
[5] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-20050110 *
[6] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-20050110-hardened
[7] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-20050110-hardenednopie
[8] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-20050110-hardenednossp

Thanks in advance,

Will
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zigver wrote:
Then when emerging the system, it pukes on emerging python-fchksum saying pentium-m switch is a bad value. Anyone run into this and have a solution other than changing to -march=pentium3?

until the ebuild is fixed, the answer is, "no."
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: libpng Reply with quote

p1tst0p wrote:
Code:

i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -o pngtest-static -I/usr/include -Wall -O3 -march=pentium4 -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe -funroll-loops   pngtest.o -L/usr/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib libpng.a -lz -lm
/lib/libc.so.6: undefined reference to `___tls_get_addr@GLIBC_2.3'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [pngtest-static] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

!!! ERROR: media-libs/libpng-1.2.8 failed.

here is an output for emerge info,

Code:

speedy root # emerge info
Portage 2.0.51.19 (default-linux/x86/2005.0, gcc-3.4.3-20050110, glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1, 2.6.11-gentoo-r5 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.11-gentoo-r5 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.16
Python:              dev-lang/python-2.3.4-r1 [2.3.4 (#1, Apr  6 2005, 00:12:06)]
ccache version 2.3 [enabled]
dev-lang/python:     2.3.4-r1
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.59-r6, 2.13
sys-devel/automake:  1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.5, 1.4_p6, 1.6.3, 1.9.4
sys-devel/binutils:  2.15.92.0.2-r7
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.10-r4
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.8.1-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium4 -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium4 -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"

based on the error message, it appears that the last CFLAG mentioned in your make.conf file is -funroll-loops. funny, it looks like -funroll-loops is being used by your system. if that's the case, it appears that the output of your emerge info seems to have had this CFLAG trimmed off.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 9 of 24

Jump to: