View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: SLModem and APM Suspend Reply with quote

minor issue here, not critical but if anyone has any thoughts i'd appreciate them. situation is this:

IBM thinkpad x23 with Lucent Softmodem

have been using the smartlink slmodem drivers successfully for around 6 or 8 months, originally using the sources direct from the smartlink website. while using those drivers, i could suspend (not hibernate) via APM my laptop then resume and the modem would still function. not indefinitely, but at least 2 or 3 such instances.

once slmodem made it into portage, however, i switched over to that version of slmodem and ever since, i cannot suspend and then use the modem, meaning that after a suspend if i need to use the modem i need to completely restart the machine. not a huge deal, but an incovenience.

here's how i dial in:

1. modprobe slamr
2. /etc/init.d/slmodem start
3. wvdial

when i repeat the wvdial after a suspend, i get a Connection Timed Out, then if i try again i get a "Modem Does Not Respond."

i've tried restarting #2, but the operation fails. i've tried zapping #2, and same deal.

anybody got any ideas?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After suspension you could use the lsof command to see if there is some strange thing using your /dev/modem or whatever device your modem is. If there is no other way you can kill all these services and or programs and redial again after each suspending...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: