help for linux n00b.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SiberianX37
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: help for linux n00b. Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I have a question for you guys and i thank you in advance for all your answers.
Now, I was installing gentoo 2004.3 according to the handbook, i set up my partitions and filesystems, but then I got tired and went to sleep after downloading the genoot stage tarball. when I tried to boot into gentoo the next day, it got me in as newroot, even though i did everything else in root, it stuck me into the ash shell, which won't let me do anything, including change shells, it told me something about not accessing tty and job control being off, and i can't access the stage that i downloaded nor can i continue with my install. Please help me out. Thank you.
hanoman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was your last action before you went to sleep? Was gentoo compiling something?

More details please :D
c4
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reboot and start from your livecd, and than remount your partitons just as if you where doing a new install. No need to set new filesystems or anything.

If that works, check that your stage is downloaded and that it is complete, md5sums match etc. If all is well, you can just continue from there, chroot and make your way through with the install. This should not have any affects on your gentoo installation.
SiberianX37
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe last thing i did before I went to sleep was extract the tarball i downloaded. The problem is when I do put in the livecd and boot, i can't mount the partitions because the ash shell won't let me. what i did though was I downloaded 2005.0 and i tried that, and it logs me in fine as root, into the normal shell so now all works good. so confusing and weird
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: