Installing Gentoo (S-ATA Problems)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tab
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Installing Gentoo (S-ATA Problems) Reply with quote

http://myweb.cableone.net/breedon/Overclock%203-23-05.jpg

That should give you an idea of what I am running for hardware...

Using the 2004.3 LiveCD... Haven't found one for 2005...

I also burnt NFORCE-Linux-x86_64-1.0-0301-pkg1.run onto the disc...

The CD loads up just fine, I am able to see that it IDs my board as a Nforce 4 board yadda yadda my 2 IDE drives are detected however my 72Gb raptor is not detected. This is where I want to install Gentoo...

I'll do a sh NFORCE-Linux-x86_64-1.0-0301-pkg1.run and end up with a message like

Quote:
Unable to find system utility 'ld' please make sure you have the package 'binutils' installed....blah blah

Any ideas how to get around this? I can both see my other IDE drives and fdisk them if I really need to... [/url]

CLIFF NOTES - Unable to find 72Gb Raptor S-ATA Drive, using DFI Lanparty Nforce4 Ultra-D Motherboard
racoontje
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont use the nvidia drivers -- they suck.
modprobe forcedeth
modprobe sata-nv

Also you will get scolded for overclocking your hardware. Lemme break the ice.

RICER!
Tab
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been able to run prime95 for 17 hours without any errors, so if that isn't stable I don't know what is. If do notice any errors I will back down. Thanks!

Whats forcedeth exactly?

Why do the nvidia drivers suck?

I guess I am going to have to do something simaller to get my eth0 working properly as well? Cause, its not... 127.x.x.x number

Another newbie question, how come there arent any 2005.0 livecds? How can I make it bootable?
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tab wrote:
I've been able to run prime95 for 17 hours without any errors, so if that isn't stable I don't know what is. If do notice any errors I will back down. Thanks!

You haven't seen Gentoo and gcc ridicule overclockers with compile errors yet. Don't trust Windows utilities to stress your system. They're nothing compared to what Gentoo can do.

I would echo the advice earlier. Stop overclocking before you even think of booting up the Gentoo install CD. There are many horror stories from ex-overclockers on these forums.
Tab wrote:
Whats forcedeth exactly?

The open-source network driver (module) for Nvidia network cards.
Tab wrote:
Why do the nvidia drivers suck?

Because they're closed source, for one thing.

Also, most companies do not bother to make their linux drivers (if they have linux drivers) as good and polished as their windows versions.
Tab wrote:
I guess I am going to have to do something simaller to get my eth0 working properly as well? Cause, its not... 127.x.x.x number

That's the address range for localhost, so yes, there's some tweaking with the network configuration to be done here. Sorry I can't provide any ideas there for now.
Tab wrote:
Another newbie question, how come there arent any 2005.0 livecds?

Look harder on your nearest Gentoo mirror. The ISO images should all be unwrapped and ready to download by now.
Tab wrote:
How can I make it bootable?

Burn the ISO as a CD image using Nero, or other CD burning software. Win XP's built in CD burning function will not work.
Tab
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I burnt the install-amd64-universal-2005.0.iso and that was not bootable with Nero. :( I am guessing that only livecds are bootable? I've been unable to find a 2005.0 livecd...
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the correct ISO, although the one initially uploaded to the mirrors has boot problems.

Download the ISO again.
NoControl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Gentoo (S-ATA Problems) Reply with quote

Tab wrote:
[...]

I'll do a sh NFORCE-Linux-x86_64-1.0-0301-pkg1.run and end up with a message like

Quote:
Unable to find system utility 'ld' please make sure you have the package 'binutils' installed....blah blah

Any ideas how to get around this? I can both see my other IDE drives and fdisk them if I really need to... [/url]

[...]

The liveCD is a basic environment created just to install Gentoo (and maybe do some emergency repairs on an already installed system. However, many utilities are not available on it, such as ld... You can still install the Nvidia drivers if you want later on, but for the install, I think you should use the modules mentioned above :)
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Gentoo (S-ATA Problems) Reply with quote

NoControl wrote:
The liveCD is a basic environment created just to install Gentoo...

... That's why it is now called the install CD with effect from 2005.0.

Don't perpetuate the myth of the fully-functional "liveCD" anymore by using the incorrect name.
NoControl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Gentoo (S-ATA Problems) Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:
NoControl wrote:
The liveCD is a basic environment created just to install Gentoo...

... That's why it is now called the install CD with effect from 2005.0.

Don't perpetuate the myth of the fully-functional "liveCD" anymore by using the incorrect name.

I'm sorry; didn't know that yet; 2005.0 is out for a few hours, maybe a day... give me some time to catch up ;)
Thanks for the heads up :)
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Gentoo (S-ATA Problems) Reply with quote

NoControl wrote:
I'm sorry; didn't know that yet; 2005.0 is out for a few hours, maybe a day... give me some time to catch up ;)
Thanks for the heads up :)

No problem. I suppose the majority of Gentoo-land has yet to adjust to the change. :)
Tab
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright...

I haven't downloaded the 2005.0 CD but I'll re-download the install cd... Since mine wont boot for some strange reason.. Thats what I want right?

Anyway,modprobe forcedeth works fine and I can now communicate with the outside world.

modprobe sata-nv does not work. I'll type the command in and the computer will hang for a second but my command line wont appear. I did a ps aux and the sata-nv appears in the list but it doesn't seem to be doing anything...

Any more advice?

EDIT: Also turned my computer down to the stock settings (no longer overclocked) and still had the same problem with [i]modprobe sata-nv[/i]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: