Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well then i'll only do one or two a night :D
Nemesis D. Prodigy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watch the typos and you can do all of them tonight!
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you nathan
Nemesis D. Prodigy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Welcome!
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ryan you want me to try the p2 one tonight, since it was giving you so much trouble?
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of you who are testing the stages, If you could post a list of changes that you would suggest for the stages I would appreciate that. The only changes I can think of right now are:
1) making sure to blank all the resolv.conf's, /root/.bash_history.....
2) adding GPL statements to the tarballs.
3) patching the portage on the stages with monkey89's jackass_emerge_info patch (thanks again man :D )

Right now I'm starting to think more about building the live-cd's using catalyst. Reading the specfiles, it's not as hard as I thought, everything down to changing the bootsplash can be done pretty easially by simply modifying the 2005.0 live cd specfiles. I'm not going to be able to do any work on the project this weekend, as I'll be away from my computer until Sunday afternoon. I will keep the project server up, so you guys can keep testing and such, and I'll keep up with this thread.

Last edited by Sith_Happens on Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obsidianblackhawk wrote:
Hey Ryan you want me to try the p2 one tonight, since it was giving you so much trouble?
If you'd like. However if you read my post above this one, you'll see that I can't do much work on the project this weekend. So take your time testing the stages, because I won't be able to fix any problems you encounter sunday pm.
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:

3) patching the portage on the stages with monkey89's jackass_emerge_info patch (thanks again man :D )

Hey man could you put the link up for that again please
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
obsidianblackhawk wrote:
If you'd like. However if you read my post above this one, you'll see that I can't do much work on the project this weekend. So take your time testing the stages, because I won't be able to fix any problems you encounter sunday pm.

well given that fact maybee i'll just iron out the p4 stage i did last night untill this weekend
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obsidianblackhawk wrote:
Sith_Happens wrote:
obsidianblackhawk wrote:

well given that fact maybee i'll just iron out the p4 stage i did last night untill this weekend
Good idea, be as thorough as possible. If there is a problem, I'd rather have you find it now, then have somebody else figure it out after we've already released a live-cd iso to half the gentoo using public. BTW, how are we on the hosting situation? You said you had it figured out, is that still true? Also is it just me or do you strongly dislike this new gentoo-redesign theme? I can barely read anything, I feel like I'm looking at a photo negative. :x I'm switching back to regular Gentoo as soon as I finish this post.
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
BTW, how are we on the hosting situation? You said you had it figured out, is that still true?
I haven't heard anything to say that the server space promised to us won't be there. As i said he's just asking for some time.

Quote:
Also is it just me or do you strongly dislike this new gentoo-redesign theme? I can barely read anything, I feel like I'm looking at a photo negative. :x I'm switching back to regular Gentoo as soon as I finish this post.
yeah i agree man, it just gives me a sour stomach
deflin39
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
Also is it just me or do you strongly dislike this new gentoo-redesign theme? I can barely read anything, I feel like I'm looking at a photo negative. :x I'm switching back to regular Gentoo as soon as I finish this post.

April Fools Day kids... :twisted:

deflin39
“The musicians today, who don't do drugs, and in fact speak out against it-"We're rockers against drugs"-boy, they suck. Suck. Ball-less, soul-less, spirit-less, corporate little bitches, suckers of Satan's cock, each and every one of them”–BillHicks
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by 96140 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:04 am; edited 2 times in total
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
I'll be around again sometime later tonight...tonight on the West Coast, that is (GMT -8).
where abouts in socal?
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so here's a funny little quirk. I currently testing the P$ tar. while emerging gnome i received repeated errors when portaage was emerging howl. I tried severale things to get it tow work including adjusting the CFLAGS to no avail. I don't have a console mouse driver set up, nor i hate to say it am i sure how so i cant show you guys the error i got. I can tell you to get around it i had to emerge it using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86". I know that's not really the right thing to do but i did it before thinking.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by 96140 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
Do "emerge gpm". That gives you the console mouse. And then all you have to do is highlight text on one screen, ALT-Fkey to another screen, place the cursor where you want the text to show up, and press the middle mouse button. Note: you don't need to hold down the left-click button after highlighting the text. Just let it be while you key over to another screen. This makes troubleshooting a lot easier when you can copy and paste your .conf files and error messages!
cool beans.

Hurray. I finally have a decent web browser. NOw if only gnome would finishing emerging :) So far i have no other probelms with this P4 stage. I'm gonna give it a good run untill saturday, and then i'm gonna test the P2 stage. Ryan had some problems with that eairlier. So i figure a good testing there would help
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stageball Changes?

personally, i don't think that we need the GCC 3.3.5 toolkit once we have the 3.4.3 toolkit installed, so before tarring up the stageballs, i'd emerge -C to take GCC 3.3.5 out of its slot. that should decrease the size of the stageball quite a bit, in addition to taming the options that are available when you "gcc-config -l". paring down the size of all of the stageballs will be handy when it comes to be time to distribute them.

Pentium Tarball Problems - jackass-2005.0-pentium-rc1-20050330.tar.bz2

Ryan, that problem that we talked about relating to rsync failures on LAN appear to be confined to the PC running Jackass. the other PCs are not having any problems syncing off of my local RSYNC server, so i am concerned that there could be an obscure unidentified problem in the tarball.

for everyone else: this problem relates to failures in rsyncing on a local LAN that have appeared after installing Jackass. i have a local RSYNC server on my LAN that all of the boxes use for "emerge --sync" instead of using the gentoo mirrors. when i installed Jackass on the K6, everything else appeared to work fine, but rsync broke. what is really interesting is that rsync works fine if i'm using the gentoo mirrors, but fails with odd errors when trying to rsync on the local mirror. none of the other Stage 1/3 2004.3 boxes exhibit this behavior, only the 2005.0 Jackass box.

this is the kind of obscure problem that i was worried about creeping into the project. for all we know, it could be in all of the tarballs, and nobody would notice it becasue not everyone performs tests like this.

right now we have as many tarballs as we have testers, so i'm worried that we may have trouble being lulled into a false sense of security by not recognizing errors. to get a better handle on problems like these, maybe we should have everyone testing the most common tarball before we progress to the next. in the interim, maybe somebody else should try installing the pentium tarball and rsyncing to a local LAN IP address and see of they can replicate this problem:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-180336-start-91.html

Last edited by Bob P on Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

APRIL FOOL's JOKE?

Code:

>>> Starting retry 1 of 3 with rsync://128.213.5.35/gentoo-portage
>>> checking server timestamp ...
         ____  ___ _____     __  __ ____   ____
        |  _ \|_ _|_   _|   |  \/  |  _ \ / ___|
        | |_) || |  | |_____| |\/| | |_) | |
        |  _ < | |  | |_____| |  | |  _ <| |___
        |_| \_\___| |_|     |_|  |_|_| \_\\____|
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------
        The Rochester Institute of Technology MacGyver Reenactment Club's MS-DOS
        mirror.  Next Performance: Season 1 Episode 18 on April 6th.

We would like to thank the community for helping to support this MS-DOS
        mirror for so long.  In hindsight, we recognize that it was the right
        decision for the RPI dotCIO to forbid us from providing access to GPL
        software and will try to stay clean in the future.

rsync://rsync18.us.gentoo.org/ms-dos
        rsync://acm.cs.rpi.edu/ms-dos
        http://acm.cs.rpi.edu/

System: snap -- acm.cs.rpi.edu (127.0.0.1)
        Hardware: IBM XT with 2MB of RAM
        System Location: Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY
        Bandwidth: 300 baud
        User Limit: 1
        Statistics: 3 complete downloads since aught-four!

receiving file list ...
1 file to consider

Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
OKay, Sith & Co. I'm going to get started on testing that P3 tarball. Lemme grab my 2004.3 minimal LiveCD, and then I'll be seeing you online via links2!

don't do that. if yoiu install jackass, use a 2005.0 install cd.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by 96140 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
However, now I'm confused as to why both userpriv and usersandbox are specified when it seems that only userpriv is needed in conjunction with sandbox. So I left out those three features in the short term until I read some more about that.

You have not read /etc/make.conf.example or man make.conf, right? They both explain what FEATURES="usersandbox" is.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by 96140 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:05 am; edited 2 times in total
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
kimchi_sg wrote:
nightmorph wrote:
However, now I'm confused as to why both userpriv and usersandbox are specified when it seems that only userpriv is needed in conjunction with sandbox. So I left out those three features in the short term until I read some more about that.

You have not read /etc/make.conf.example or man make.conf, right? They both explain what FEATURES="usersandbox" is.

Actually, I did. Or thought I did. I'm pretty sure that userpriv allows a normal user, not root, to run emerge, when combined with sandbox. However, the man page said that this is enabled unless usersandbox is set. In which case I don't really know what happens. It's possible that i just misread the manpages.

Yes, you misread them. usersandbox does not cancel out userpriv, but rather enhances it. The scenarios:

1. FEATURES="-userpriv -usersandbox": Portage will do all compiling as root, and the sandbox will be used only if "sandbox" is set.
  2. FEATURES="userpriv -usersandbox": Portage will do all compiling as user "portage", and no sandbox will be used at all, even if "sandbox" is set.
  3. FEATURES="userpriv usersandbox": Portage will do all compiling as user "portage", and the sandbox will be used to prevent illegal file access attempts during the compile phase.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

read the manpages again. you don't want to disable the sandbox. userpriv allows portage to drop from root to user status as a security measure. usersandbox allows sandboxing to continue when portage drops from root to user status.

on the subject of doing the stage installs -- you don't need to edit the existing settings in make.conf if you're using the jackass tarball, and you don't need to rebuild your toolkit!!! just do a plain stage 3 install.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 15 of 30

Jump to: