View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
@Jack, there is a problem with 2.3.5 on 586 platforms, referenced in this thread:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-329143.html

Jackass! for Pentium has been specifically designed to avoid the problematic ebuild. If you undermine the integrity of Jackass! by changing the values contained in package.keywords, thereby facilitating the emerge of a package that has otherwise been blocked, then you're no longer using the Jackass! toolkit, and you're on your own. :!: :!:

Hey, I never touched package.keywords! The only, and I do mean only, config file that I touched that was optional (as opposed to essential, like editing an ALSA config file after grabbing the alsa-utils ebuild listed on the Jackass! snapshot) was /etc/portage/profile/package.provided, solely to avoid compiling in Mozilla Suite, Evolution, Evolution data server, and Epiphany. None of those packages block critical system components or cause problems elsewhere; they just take 3+ days to emerge and I don't need them.

Believe me when I say that I know better than to do anything stupid and project-undermining like monkeying with package.keywords or anything else in the regular /etc/portage/ directory, or messing with the default make.conf CFLAGS or adding "nptlonly" to the USE flags. I know perfectly well that doing those sorts of things are fine as long as I'm just building a system for myself and I understand the risks and am willing to take them.

However, after installing several packages on this Jackass! system when it was still text-only, I decided to do an emerge sync to see if Gnome 2.10 was in the x86 branch yet, among other things. Mostly it wasn't made clear to me that I should have used only the provided snapshot. And then it turned out that emerge -auDv world wanted to install a broken python package--I was in error earlier when I said I had glibc problems, I think? I've been running on 3 hours of sleep, so I'm a little foggy as to which package(s) I actually received an error with.

To sum up, I never once thought about changing the toolchain, nor has it been upgraded. I did have problems with the Python that was in the portage tree yesterday and the day before, but it seems to have been fixed now; emerge sync works without problems.

Anyway, what's next? What other tarballs still need testing? Gosh, I sure feel bad about hashing the fairly complete system I just built, complete with more Gnome themes than I know what to do with, but at least everything seems to be good so far. And at least I won't have to overwrite my /boot this time around.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentium 2-4 rc3 tarballs are on the server, I'll leave it to Bob for testing assignments.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooh, I want to get my hands on the Pentium 3 tarball so badly!
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
Oooooh, I want to get my hands on the Pentium 3 tarball so badly!
All in good time man. we need to test from the ground up, make sure the little guys are taken car of first. :wink:
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obsidianblackhawk wrote:
All in good time man. we need to test from the ground up, make sure the little guys are taken car of first. :wink:

Oh, I know. I know it's a logical step-by-step. But if the next batch of tarballs from P2-3 can be split up among the existing testers, one to a 'ball, then I'd sure like a crack at the P3.

But I'm patient. I just feel my flippers--er, thumbs twitching at the thought of a tarball custom-tailored for my exact architecture!
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok nighmorph, i was misguided by your misstatement about glibc 2.3.5. as long as you didn't edit the package keywords file, you couldn't have gotten the glibc 2.3.5 upgrade. actually, if all you did was emerge --sync, you'll be okay as far as glibc is concerned. the package.keywords file prevents you from getting glibc 2.3.5 on 586 platforms, where the current ebuild causes problems.

we've made no effort to safeguard anyone from broken ebuilds that aren't essential toolkit components. that means that you're probably going to be subject to the whims of outrageous fortune if you go doing an emerge --sync and you start emerging testing branch ebuilds. there are lots of python problems lately, so i'd be careful about emerging python packages. if you emerge --sync and you run into a python problem... well ... you know.

right now i'd like to see a show of hands for who's got a pentium 2, 3 and 4 to install on. i'd like to have 2-3 people test the P2 before we go to the P3, etc.
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey bob, let me know what you want me to do. You should know by now what hardware i have at home. :wink: If you want me on anything else let me know
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

believe it or not, i can't keep everybody's hardware straight. anyone who's got a P2, or can test the P2, please get started on that tarball. we need to get the ball rolling.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
there are lots of python problems lately, so i'd be careful about emerging python packages. if you emerge --sync and you run into a python problem... well ... you know.

right now i'd like to see a show of hands for who's got a pentium 2, 3 and 4 to install on. i'd like to have 2-3 people test the P2 before we go to the P3, etc.

I guess so; I work purely in the x86 branch; the only ~x86 packages I use are the Jackass!-specific toolchain components. How a "stable" update of Python made it into the x86 branch, I don't know. Sometimes, not even a careful "emerge -auDv world" can save you if you haven't run into package-specific problems before, or if you're in the first wave of users to experience new bugs.

And as far as testing goes, while I would much rather just use a P3 tarball and (theoretically) have the last system I'll ever need all set up, I'm willing to try out the P2 'balls. Hmm, did you mean the actual P2, or does the P-Pro also need testing? I am running a Pentium 3 laptop, so I can handle anything up to and including the P3 'ball.

(note to self: install packages after installing base system WITHOUT doing emerge sync!"
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i asked Ryan to post the P2, P3, P4 tarballs today because i am satisfied that there are no problems with the pentium, -mmx, and -pro tarballs and its time to move on.

if you've got a P3 available, please test the P2 ball on it. you should find great satisfaction in knowing that this should be the second to the last install that you have to do on that box -- when you finally do the P3, you'll be done!
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
i asked Ryan to post the P2, P3, P4 tarballs today because i am satisfied that there are no problems with the pentium, -mmx, and -pro tarballs and its time to move on.

if you've got a P3 available, please test the P2 ball on it. you should find great satisfaction in knowing that this should be the second to the last install that you have to do on that box -- when you finally do the P3, you'll be done!

Okay, for sure. I'll wipe this installation and get on the next one--the best part is that I already have the graphics problems solved in the kernel and /boot partitions, so I'll modify the install instructions somewhat to take into account the preinstalled /boot, grub, and kernel configs.

And it's okay if the next Pentium3 install actually isn't my last--I mean, I actually have fun installing Gentoo, poking around in ebuilds, fixing the random sed syntax errors, and the like. Sure, it's unbelievably nice to have a working desktop at the same time, but Lynx isn't....too bad. It's not that bad compared to Firefox...

Will get on the install tonight or tomorrow. And is a software project ever really "done"? I mean, I sure didn't have any plans to just abandon the Jackass! Project just because the rc3 'balls were done. I'd like to be with the project for the long haul, if it needs it.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 pages... time for a new thread.

Bob P: PM me if you want something from this thread in the new one (say, the last few pages).

EDIT: The new thread... Jackass! Development for Intel Pentium and Athlon-XP
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30
Page 30 of 30

Jump to: