Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obsidianblackhawk wrote:
Bob P wrote:

if you don't mind, i'll take care of that. i'd rather that you focus on the FB images, which i still think is a bigger task than you think it is.

No Problem Bob
When you get a splashimage finished, just e-mail it to me and I'll post it on the server. Also, remember that if you try to connect to the server from your house, your request will get dropped by my firewall. You'll have to tell me when you attempted a connection so I can check my firewall logs and add your home IP to my firewall rules.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to make that a little clearer:

CHOST 586 supports Pentium Classic
CHOST 586 supports Pentium-MMX
CHOST 686 supports Pentium Pro
CHOST 686 supports Pentium2
CHOST 686 supports Pentium3
CHOST 686 supports Pentium4

The way we're doing the releases -- Pentium, Pentium 2, Pentium 3, Pentium 4 -- has been following the Pentium "numeric" chip groupings. The Pro is an oddball character that is somewhere between a Pentium and a Pentium 2. The evolution went like this: Pentium diverged into two paths -- Pentium Pro, and Pentium MMX. these two paths re-converged at Pentium 2. The Pentium MMX instruction set is a superset of Pentium, as does the MMX set. unfortunately, MMX and Pro enchanced instructions sets are mutually exclusive with one antoher, but the Pentium 2 includes all of the instructions in both groups. clear as mud?

practically speaking, its easiest to just have one Pentium CLASSIC ball that covers all pentiums. that is the universal ball that everyone intel and amd can rely on, and imho this should always be the first tarball to be built or updated, as it will get everyone up and running.

the P-Pro and MMX guys have to use the Pentium Classic tarball and they are invariably going to want to rebuild their toolkits, which is an incredibly painful task. such is life. personally, i have Classic, MMX and P-Pro processors continuously in use, and for me the standard Pentium Classic tarball instruction set is good enough, as none of those boxes get used for GUI applications where i'd actually rely on those enhanced instructions.
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:

When you get a splashimage finished, just e-mail it to me and I'll post it on the server. Also, remember that if you try to connect to the server from your house, your request will get dropped by my firewall. You'll have to tell me when you attempted a connection so I can check my firewall logs and add your home IP to my firwall rules.

Actually all of my access is going to be here from work. Like I said I spend way too much time here, I get off work at about 18:00 PST and i usually don't go home untill about 22:30 or so
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obsidianblackhawk wrote:
Sith_Happens wrote:

When you get a splashimage finished, just e-mail it to me and I'll post it on the server. Also, remember that if you try to connect to the server from your house, your request will get dropped by my firewall. You'll have to tell me when you attempted a connection so I can check my firewall logs and add your home IP to my firwall rules.

Actually all of my access is going to be here from work. Like I said I spend way too much time here, I get off work at about 18:00 PST and i usually don't go home untill about 22:30 or so
Good, then that won't be a problem. Not good that your such a slave to the man. :wink:
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
obsidianblackhawk wrote:
Sith_Happens wrote:

Good, then that won't be a problem. Not good that your such a slave to the man. :wink:
I don't mind really, eventually this business will be mine. So I'm okay withh all the time i spend here
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
Allright, where do you want me to put the GPL notification? Secondly did you see my question about the P3 CHOST?

EDIT: Asked and answered. :) Also when you test the Pentium Stage, make sure I didn't add a GENTOO_MIRRORS line to the make.conf.

i'll work on the GPL notification and email it to you or post it here. its not critical to do it immediately, but it definitely needs to be done soon. i hope that everyone here is bound by their honor not to pass any of tarballs out to their friends in the interim. ryan, as the file creator and web host, right now you're the ultimate gatekeeper. :wink:

i haven't pulled the ball down yet, but i'll get to it this afternoon. that damned K6 box is still on the GCC 3.3.4 commands to emerge the first verison of toolkit. you can't imagine how happy i'll be to flip the big red switch and just extract the Jackass toolkit from a tarball!
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
you can't imagine how happy i'll be to flip the big red switch and just extract the Jackass toolkit from a tarball!
I know what you mean. The people this project will most help are those running slower machines.
Bob P wrote:
i hope that everyone here is bound by their honor not to pass any of tarballs out to their friends in the interim. ryan, as the file creator and web host, right now you're the ultimate gatekeeper. :wink:
We'll right now the only people who can access the web server are kimchi, you and obsidian (or anybody connecting from their ip's). I'm sure we can trust everybody, but just to be safe I'd like to hear from everybody that right now all distribution is between myself, Bob P, kimchi_sg, and obsidianblackhawk. At this point the stages stay between us. Lets add a some kind of creative commons statement or something like that though to the make.conf's and jackass instructions that we've posted so far on this forum though, just so our intentions are clear. I've added this to the jackass instructions posted on this forum, and I'll add it the files posted on the server:
Code:
The contents of this document are distributed under a creative commons attribution - share alike license <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/>

Last edited by Sith_Happens on Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW if anybody cares my real name is jeremy. But feel free to call me whatever you'd like. And As far as the whole honor thing nobody i know even knows that i'm working with you guys on this so no worries from my end
deflin39
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sweet project you have rolling here!

Code:
No  Task                      Assigned   Progress   Completed
8.  Create AMD Tarballs        [ !! ]     [ !! ]     [ !! ]

Are you still in need of machines for the AMD Tarballs? I've got an AMD Athlon 600mhz running gentoo at the moment:
Code:
deflin39@moe deflin39 $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 1
model name      : AMD-K7(tm) Processor
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 598.970
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat mmx pni syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips        : 1179.64

I've also got an Athlon T-bird 1.2 Ghz sitting on a fried MB (I hope it's just the MB) that I plan on having back up shortly.

Let me know what you think!

deflin39
“The musicians today, who don't do drugs, and in fact speak out against it-"We're rockers against drugs"-boy, they suck. Suck. Ball-less, soul-less, spirit-less, corporate little bitches, suckers of Satan's cock, each and every one of them”–BillHicks

Last edited by deflin39 on Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
monkey89
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I missed it, but do you have an IRC channel on Freenode or something?

-Monkey
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
Bob P wrote:
you can't imagine how happy i'll be to flip the big red switch and just extract the Jackass toolkit from a tarball!
I know what you mean. The people this project will most help are those running slower machines.
Bob P wrote:
i hope that everyone here is bound by their honor not to pass any of tarballs out to their friends in the interim. ryan, as the file creator and web host, right now you're the ultimate gatekeeper. :wink:
We'll right now the only people who can access the web server are kimchi, you and obsidian (or anybody connecting from their ip's). I'm sure we can trust everybody, but just to be safe I'd like to hear from everybody that right now all distribution is between myself, Bob P, kimchi_sg, and obsidianblackhawk. At this point the stages stay between us. Lets add a some kind of creative commons statement or something like that though to the make.conf's and jackass instructions that we've posted so far on this forum though, just so our intentions are clear.

just to cover the base: i pledge not to redistribute anything to anyone outside of the group.

i will go ahead and work on a GPL or creative commons statement to go into the package. i think i'll even wrap the text around the donkey. :wink:

do we want to list everyone by the individual tasks that they have performed, or just call the project the collected work of the Jackass Team and list every contributors name? personally, i think that we should just credit everyone who contributes, but if anyone might feel shortchanged by that let me know.

as far as name order goes, we could list people alphabetically, reverse alphabetically, by the order in which people signed up for the project, by how much work they did, or alphabetically sorted based on the nth character in their name. whatever works for you guys and makes everyone happy.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deflin39 wrote:
Pretty sweet project you have rolling here!

Code:
No  Task                      Assigned   Progress   Completed
1.  Temporary File Host        [ ok ]     [ ok ]     [ !! ]
2.  Permanent File Host        [ !! ]     [ !! ]     [ !! ]
3.  Create P-1 Tarball         [ ok ]     [ ok ]     [ !! ]
4.  Create P-2 Tarball         [ !! ]     [ !! ]     [ !! ]
5.  Create P-3 Tarball         [ !! ]     [ !! ]     [ !! ]
6.  Create P-4 Tarball         [ ok ]     [ ok ]     [ !! ]
7.  Test Tarballs              [ !! ]     [ !! ]     [ !! ]
8.  Create AMD Tarballs        [ !! ]     [ !! ]     [ !! ]
9.  Jackass Framebuffer        [ !! ]     [ !! ]     [ !! ]
10. Emerge Info                [ !! ]     [ !! ]     [ !! ]
11. Bootable CD                [ !! ]     [ !! ]     [ !! ]

Are you still in need of machines for the AMD Tarballs? I've got an AMD Athlon 600mhz running gentoo at the moment:
Code:
deflin39@moe deflin39 $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 1
model name      : AMD-K7(tm) Processor
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 598.970
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat mmx pni syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips        : 1179.64

I've also got an Athlon T-bird 1.2 Ghz sitting on a fried MB (I hope it's just the MB) that I plan on having back up shortly.

Let me know what you think!

deflin39
I've got no objections to you joining up here and building the AMD tarballs. Just two questions.

1) Do you have a way to serve the stages to members of the project?

2) Do you accept that if you build the tarballs as part of this project, and that you will work along the guidlines of the project as outlined so far by myself, kimchi_sg and Bob_P?

3) Do you promise that you will not distribute or otherwise release the stages yourself outside of the project, but rather will leave said distribution to the head of the project, who at this point in time is Bob P?

The definition of "the project" at this point in time is a group consisting of the following members:
Myself: Sith_Happens, real name Ryan Lynch
Bob P: Real name, Bob P :wink:
kimchi_sg: real name Leung Ki Chi
obsidianblackhawk: real name Jeremy

Last edited by Sith_Happens on Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:09 am; edited 4 times in total
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan, have you had a chance to check out that patch yet?
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obsidianblackhawk wrote:
BTW if anybody cares my real name is jeremy. But feel free to call me whatever you'd like. And As far as the whole honor thing nobody i know even knows that i'm working with you guys on this so no worries from my end

Hi Jeremy.

BTW my real name is Bob. :!: :evil:
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
How do I modify the ebuild to get it to apply this patch?
Jackass Project
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultimately, the leader of this project has to be the biggest jackass. :oops:
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackass Project wrote:
This better be Bob P. :evil:
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
Jackass Project wrote:

yes, Jackass One at your service! i made that user account yesterday. i was going to save it for the official announcement when the project is ready for release, but i just couldn't resist. i still need to find him a good avatar image.

Sith_Happens wrote:
The definition of "the project" at this point in time is a group consisting of the following members:

:arrow: kimchi_sg will probably have something to say about that when he wakes up ... :!:
monkey89
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
Bob P wrote:
How do I modify the ebuild to get it to apply this patch?

Copy portage-2.0.51.19.ebuild to an overlay, add the patch (did Bob P give it to you?) to the files/ dir, and right below the cd ${S} line in src_unpack(), add this line:

epatch ${FILESDIR}/emerge-info-jackass.patch

Or whatever it was I named it, I don't remember.

And what about an IRC channel? It's much easier to communicate than a forum for me.

-Monkey
deflin39
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
I've got no objections to you joining up here and building the AMD tarballs. Just two questions.

1) Do you have a way to serve the stages to members of the project?

In what way do you mean serve? Can I upload the tarballs to a server? Yes. Can I host the tarball on my home ftp server. Sure.

Sith_Happens wrote:
2) Do you accept that if you build the tarballs as part of this project, and that you will work along the guidlines of the project as outlined so far by myself, kimchi_sg and Bob_P?

Yeppers.

Sith_Happens wrote:
3) Do you promise that you will not distribute or otherwise release the stages yourself outside of the project, but rather will leave said distribution to the head of the project, who at this point in time is Bob P?

Yes!

That's Three questions :P
“The musicians today, who don't do drugs, and in fact speak out against it-"We're rockers against drugs"-boy, they suck. Suck. Ball-less, soul-less, spirit-less, corporate little bitches, suckers of Satan's cock, each and every one of them”–BillHicks
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
Sith_Happens wrote:
Jackass Project wrote:

yes, Jackass One at your service! i made that user account yesterday. i was going to save it for the official announcement when the project is ready for release, but i just couldn't resist. i still need to find him a good avatar image.

Sith_Happens wrote:

:arrow: kimchi_sg will probably have something to say about that when he wakes up ... :!:
I'll start looking for the avatar.

Oh crap I left out kimchi_sg! We'll he can make fun of me all he wants when he wakes up, it was an honest mistake, I meant nothing by it. I'll fix that right now. You'll see I did include him in the second question.
deflin_39 wrote:
That's Three questions :P
Oops. :oops: I changed the last question into two seperate questions after I had already written the first part.
monkey89 wrote:
And what about an IRC channel? It's much easier to communicate than a forum for me.
Seeing as we all live in different timezones, some of us more different than others (kimchi_sg :wink:) an IRC channel wouldn't be the best place for this project. Also, this allows others to read what we've been up to, wich I really like. It's a truly open project.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackass avatar:

There is the donkey from shrek.

I could cut and shrink the face of this donkey.

Or I turn that ASCII donkey's head you like so much into an image for you. :)
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know for sure, but 600 MHz doesn't seem like enough bogomips to create all those balls ... man, this project will bring your PC to its knees for a week, and that's only on a single pass to create one set of tarballs. realistically speaking, you may not be able to use your PC to do anything else for a week at a time. are you sure that you have an idle PC that you're willing to give away like that?

ryan, i know that this isn't your job, but i'm wondering how cross compiling would work on your dual P4 bluebox. there's no doubt in my mind that you have the most processing power of anyone who's interested. i think a 600 MHz AMD would be comparable to me trying to do it on my P3. it would take forever...

if you really want to try it on your AMD, the first thing to do involves paperwork, not actual compiling. to start off, you need to outline of the sub-architectures of the tarballs that will be released for AMD. this means that you have to determine exactly how many tarballs will be needed for the AMD archtiecture, and how they will need to be divided to best suit all AMD users (like we did with the pentiums). then, you have to post sample make.confs for each sub-arch for other AMD users to agree upon. only then can you actually experiment and determine what CFLAGS work best for each AMD processor subtype, and verify that they don't break anything. then when that is done, you have to actually try creating the stageballs, and test them.

come to think of it, the AMD side of this project is going to be harder than i thought it was going to be. we've extensively tested the intel CFLAGS through a slow evolution of the Stage 1/3 NPTL guides over a period of months, and we've largely ignored optimizing for AMD. we've pretty much got the intel CFLAGS settled, but i have to admit we have no clue about what the optimal CFLAGS will be for AMD. optimally (pun), i think we need a core group of AMD guys who are willing to run Acovea on their AMD boxes and analyze CFLAG combinations before doing anything else... i did this long long long ago with the pentiums...

of course, they could just use the pentium stageball and rebuild to suit their own needs...
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well deflin, we could still use your help, even if you don't end up building stages:

1) We still need somebody to test stages, and you have one, possibly two AMD machines.

2) Secondly, as Bob P stated, we still haven't outlined the AMD half of the project, so you could be of great help in that area.

As far as outlining the AMD half of the project:

The steps as I outlined earlier for making the stages should be fine on the AMD, the problem is in what architectures we need to build for to cover the AMD spectrum, and what the make.conf's for each machine should look like.

Last edited by Sith_Happens on Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm. IRC? i have to fly the n00b flag here and sheepishly admit that i've never used IRC.

the fact that we are in different timezones does add a twist to the problem. the forum seems to be working pretty well for now, but i'm all for whatever works for people. i'm just glad that the Gentoo Forums is putting up with us. this thread is growing like a weed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 10 of 30

Jump to: