View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 28, 29, 30  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkey89
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge mysql should work all right... having a specific issue? I don't have much experience with gentoo's mysql setup, but I've done plenty of phpbb and apache work before.

-Monkey
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkey89 wrote:
emerge mysql should work all right... having a specific issue? I don't have much experience with gentoo's mysql setup, but I've done plenty of phpbb and apache work before.

-Monkey
You've done plenty of work in everything haven't you. :wink:

Hey guys, I'm having a problem with gcc-config and the Pentium 3 stage. I just finished building the 3.4.3 toolchain:
Code:
BlueBox / # gcc-config 5 && env-update && source /etc/profile
 * Switching to i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-20050110 compiler...                                      [ ok ]

* If you intend to use the gcc from the new profile in an already
 * running shell, please remember to do:

*   # source /etc/profile

>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
 * Caching service dependencies...
BlueBox / # gcc-config -l
[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5 *
[2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-hardened
[3] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-hardenednopie
[4] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-hardenednossp
[5] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-20050110
[6] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-20050110-hardened
[7] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-20050110-hardenednopie
[8] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-20050110-hardenednossp
BlueBox / # make it work
make: *** No rule to make target `it'.  Stop.
BlueBox / # make it work please?
:? :?: :? :evil:
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried it one command at a time instead of as a oneliner? you might have no other choice than to rebuild the toolkit.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
have you tried it one command at a time instead of as a oneliner? you might have no other choice than to rebuild the toolkit.
I've tried it as seperate commands first. I retried it as a one-liner to make it a smaller post. I guess I'm left with no choice but to rebuild when these commands don't work though:
Code:
BlueBox / # make it work
BlueBox / # make it work please?
:wink: However, I'm not exactly sure what rebuilding will do. But, until somebody comes up with a better idea, I'll try rebuilding gcc then rebuilding gcc-config, and see if that does anything.
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be installing the p4 stage in t minus 30 min and counting
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obsidianblackhawk wrote:
Will be installing the p4 stage in t minus 30 min and counting
Good to hear, you should be able to use the regular stage 3 install meathod in the gentoo handbook. Post any an all problems and or abberations that you encounter. Try building/running some packages after you reboot as well, just to test everything out.
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey ryan maybee if you asked please first??? just a thought
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will do... i'll try some small builds first, and then i'll try a few big ones... test the range ya know
evader
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gday,

Wish I could respond in more detail but am at work and away from Gentoo currently.

Bob, your cflags look good. I've been rock solid on slightly less optimised for months.
No world packages have broken. I've used the 1/3 method for a long time and have installed it more than 10 times.

I wouldn't call myself a cflag expert. I dont have somewhere to host tarballs.

I am happy to test/help/encourage/devote compile time to the project.

If I'd come in handy im more than happy to help.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evader wrote:
Gday,

Wish I could respond in more detail but am at work and away from Gentoo currently.

Bob, your cflags look good. I've been rock solid on slightly less optimised for months.
No world packages have broken. I've used the 1/3 method for a long time and have installed it more than 10 times.

I wouldn't call myself a cflag expert. I dont have somewhere to host tarballs.

I am happy to test/help/encourage/devote compile time to the project.

If I'd come in handy im more than happy to help.
If you want to help out with the project, I need you to accept these conditions
Sith_Happens wrote:

1) Do you accept that any work you do as part of this project is just that, part of a larger project, and that you will work along the guidlines of the project as outlined so far by myself, kimchi_sg and Bob_P?

2) Do you promise that you will not distribute or otherwise release the stages yourself outside of the project, but rather will leave said distribution to the head of the project, who at this point in time is Bob P?

The definition of "the project" at this point in time is a group consisting of the following members:
Myself: Sith_Happens, real name Ryan Lynch
Bob P: Real name, Bob P :wink:
kimchi_sg: real name Leung Ki Chi
obsidianblackhawk: real name Jeremy
Agreed? I'd also like to ask that you not abuse any servers that are part of the project, and only use them in the manner that the owner has agreed to. Right now the only project server is owned by me, and I do not take kindly to people abusing my trust. :evil:

Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get gcc 3.4.3 working on the P3 stage:
Code:
BlueBox / # gcc-config -l
[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5
[2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-hardened
[3] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-hardenednopie
[4] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-hardenednossp
[5] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-20050110 *
[6] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-20050110-hardened
[7] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-20050110-hardenednopie
[8] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.3-20050110-hardenednossp

Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to hear that i don't have to tar up my toolkit from the P3.

i have to shut down for a while as we're about to get hit with baseball sized hail. 8O

the good news? the old pentium box just finished compiling the GCC for the first time. :?

if somebody wants to try those cflags for athlon-xp, that would be cool.

bye for now.
evader
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I accept the conditions.
evader
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soon as I'm home tonight I'll start a 1/3 with your cflags bobp
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by 96140 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
Bob P wrote:
IMHO, we have to find some way of getting the word "Jackass" into the output of emerge info.

Well, while I don't have a full solution for that yet, I have thought of a way to alter the pre-login text. You know, the text above the login prompt when you exit a session. Instead of the line saying something like "This is userx.hostname. Gentoo Linux 2.6.11-r4", how about something Jackass-specific?

It'd be tinkering with the /etc/issue that goes into the tarball ahead of time. That way, one gets a nifty login that says exactly what kind of Gentoo this is...and, it can be combined with figlet and/or torsmo to get some primitive ascii effects, as well! So that even users who can't get framebuffer working have a more personalized system.

It's be something like
Code:
Welcome to <hostname> on Gentoo Jackass <kernelversion> at <time>.

Or something similar. Try cat /etc/issue to see what will be printed to the screen on your current login; you can change the options now to reflect kernel version, memory, or just about anything you'd like. Things like kernel version, host/domainname are controlled with operators like \n.\O. Processor would be \m I believe. I don't know if that would show up in emerge info, but it's a start at "branding" ;). See this link for a possibility. Whatever's in /etc/issue will be displayed at login. Verbatim.

Anyway, just some ideas on setting apart a system installed with the special tarballs. Which reminds me, I can't access the server; I sent Sith a PM about that, as it's currently timing out. I can test Pentium III tarballs and lower.
I use linux-logo to edit /etc/issue, however we've already got a patch for portage that makes it output Jackass courtesy of monkey89:
Code:
Portage 2.0.51.19 (default-linux/x86/2005.0, gcc-3.4.3, glibc-2.3.4.20050125-r1, 2.6.11-love2 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.11-love2 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.16
Gentoo JACKASS Edition - Experimental Toolchain by Bob P, Sith Happens and kimchi_sg
I'd rather not tinker with peoples login message though, since we are really just changing the install, not creating a modified distro. I think editing peoples /etc/issue is just a bit too intrusive. We can however change message printed at the end of boot-up on the live-cd's though, which we've already figured out how to do.
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay so i got a little delayed and i'm just now starting my testing. Sorry
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i'm happy to say that the big nasty storm split in two, and the worst of it went a few miles to the north of me and to the south of me. i feel like i've dodged a bullet! :D

ryan, this Jackass project is a-rockin'! i've never had an install go so fast on old hardware. the folks that used to moan about bootstrapping Stage 1 on an old pentium are going to LOOOOVE this toolkit!

i've got a couple questions for your guys that i want to get your opinions on:

1. when installing jackass, it seems that the following steps are no longer needed in performing a Stage 3 install:
Code:
cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf
cp /proc/mounts /mnt/gentoo/etc/mtab

it seems that resolv.conf and the /proc/mounts got copied to the hard disk during ryan's install, and that they got tarred up into the stageball. i have no problem revising the install guide to account for this, but i want to ask if you think that any problems will result from this. essentially, by including that stuff we're deviating from a typical gentoo tarballs.

2. if we're going to expect that everyone who installs Jackass is going to follow a typical Stage 1/3 type installation, should we consider emerging the following programs onto the tarball so that the user doesn't have to emerge them? or should we just keep Jackass lean and mean and let the user emerge them to get the most current updates? i know that even though its best to keep the tarballs small and to avoid including ebuilds that will become outdated, the guys with slow PCs would really like to have some of this stuff built-in.

Code:
 # emerge syslog-ng xinetd grub vixie-cron reiserfsprogs sysfsutils dhcpcd hotplug coldplug gentoolkit && emerge --nodeps acpid ntp

and we might consider adding them to the default runlevel too.

3. Gensplash. i'm assuming that we'll install splashutils to use the default Jackass splash screen too. do we want to put it into the tarballs, or leave it as part of the install process?

the problem that comes from including stuff in the tarballs is bloat. bloat is bad, but for some people, especially those on antiquated hardware, tarball bloat is preferable to spending a week compiling stuff.

4. ryan, the make.conf on the pentium ball doesn't include the mirrors statement you had asked me to tell you about. in fact, make.conf doesn't include the following settings, which may be helpful to include:
Code:
#
GENTOO_MIRRORS="<your mirror goes here> http://gentoo.osuosl.org http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
RSYNC_RETRIES="3"
RSYNC_TIMEOUT=180
PORTAGE_NICENESS=3
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
FEATURES="ccache distlocks sandbox"
CCACHE_SIZE="512M"
RSYNC_EXCLUDEFROM=/etc/portage/rsync_excludes

5. nightmorph, alot has happened while you were out. we've come up with lots of good ideas, and as Sith has said, it may be a good idea not to tamper too much with people's systems. we want Jackass to remain a toolkit that serves Gentoo, not another distro, so i agree that its a good idea to hold off on too much "branding," and keep the tampering to a minimum.
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so so far so good, i'm almost ready to reboot. I tried to emerge gentookit and portage tells me that there is no ebuild for that. I know that as far a just a base install is concerned that emerging gentoolkit is not needed, but any ideas as to why it won't let me emerge it?

Last edited by obsidianblackhawk on Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yeah, I knew about the resolv.conf's making it into the first test tarballs. :oops: However I'll blank them in future tarballs, I think it's better to leave them blank and allow them to be configured by the user.

2, 3. Although I think some people would be grateful if we included these in the tarballs, I would be against it for two reasons:

a) It would increase the size of the tarballs, and make the stages impossible to fit on one cd.

b) It decreases the flexibility of the stage. In fact the jackass stage at this point can be installed according to the 2005.0 handbook, which I think shows how little the use of this stage inconveniences the user

If we really wanted to help people out on this one, we could create our own package cd containing binary packages to go along with each of the different stages. If we are just talking about the packages you listed above, this would be a simple task. I can just untar a stage to a partition, complete a stage 3 install, reboot, and emerge the packages with the -B option. Then I can create a cd with four package directories on it, a pentium package dir, pentium2 package dir..... That would be the solution I would rather do. I'm sure those on slower machines would appreciate it. :)

4. If you want to add those to the make.conf's we can, but I think what's in there now is fine. However, this project is based of your how to, so I'll let you to decide what options you want to add to the make.conf. The only thing I think is a bad idea to add is ccache. I use ccache, I think it is a great program, however if somebody installs this stage (a n00b) and doesn't realize that it's installed and enabled, they could spend alot of time trying to figure out why they are running out of hard disk space (although chances are they'd never notice). Either way I think the choice of whether or not to use ccache should be left to the user.

Last edited by Sith_Happens on Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:

2. Although I think some people would be grateful if we included these in the tarballs, I would be against it for two reasons:

a) It would increase the size of the tarballs, and make the stages impossible to fit on one cd.

b) It decreases the flexibility of the stage. In fact the jackass stage at this point can be installed according to the 2005.0 handbook, which I think shows how little the use of this stage inconveniences the user

If we really wanted to help people out on this one, we could create our own package cd containing binary packages to go along with each of the different stages. If we are just talking about the packages you listed above, this would be a simple task. I can just untar a stage to a partition, complete a stage 3 install, reboot, and emerge the packages with the -B option. Then I can create a cd with four package directories on it, a pentium package dir, pentium2 package dir..... That would be the solution I would rather do.

I completely agree with Ryan on this one, except for gensplash that should be included
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obsidianblackhawk wrote:
Sith_Happens wrote:

2. Although I think some people would be grateful if we included these in the tarballs, I would be against it for two reasons:

If we really wanted to help people out on this one, we could create our own package cd containing binary packages to go along with each of the different stages. If we are just talking about the packages you listed above, this would be a simple task. I can just untar a stage to a partition, complete a stage 3 install, reboot, and emerge the packages with the -B option. Then I can create a cd with four package directories on it, a pentium package dir, pentium2 package dir..... That would be the solution I would rather do.

I completely agree with Ryan on this one, except for gensplash that should be included
Gensplash requires additional configuration in the kernel and in the grub.conf, which for me negates any reason to include it in the tarball besides saving time on compilation. If we really want to save people time on compilation, then we should create a seperate package cd like I described. In fact I wouldn't even have to reboot and complete the install to compile the packages, I could do it while chrooted, the same way I compiled all the packages that have gone into the stages.

Last edited by Sith_Happens on Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. i will change the docs back to the old way, assuming that you will change the tarballs back to be more like Gentoo 2005.0 tarballs.

2. i agree with your idea about keeping the tarballs lean and providing binaries as an option. that is the optimal solution.

3. preliminary docs should be ready tomorrow as a PDF.

4. Ryan, i am presently working on the files for Copyright and reduced branding. I will email this information to you. BTW, have you received any emails from me tonight?
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obsidianblackhawk wrote:
Okay so so far so good, i'm almost ready to reboot. I tried to emerge gentookit and portage tells me that there is no ebuild for that. I know that as far a just a base install is concerned that emerging gentoolkit is not needed, but any ideas as to why it won't let me emerge it?

gentoolkit, not gentookit. :wink: (the "l" is pretty narrow and hard to see next to the "k")

Last edited by Bob P on Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:

I completely agree with Ryan on this one, except for gensplash that should be included Gensplash requires additional configuration in the kernel and in the grub.conf, which for me negates any reason to include it in the tarball besides saving time on compilation. If we really want to save people time on compilation, then we should create a seperate package cd like I described.

I see your point but think of it this way, what about all those people that aren't gonna liten to the warnings about this build. and then find out after the fact that now they have to recompile their kernel to be able to use gensplash. Just a thought. But as far as the main reason for all of this yes you are correct we shouldn't have ANYTHING extra built in to it but the base system.

Last edited by obsidianblackhawk on Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 12 of 30

Jump to: