Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28, 29, 30  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
Yes, Lynx is a lifesaver after immediately installing Gentoo.

Right now I'm in the middle of testing the P3 stage; I'm at Step 6.5: Configuring make.conf.

start over. do not install from the 2004.3 CD.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by 96140 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
nightmorph wrote:
Yes, Lynx is a lifesaver after immediately installing Gentoo.

Right now I'm in the middle of testing the P3 stage; I'm at Step 6.5: Configuring make.conf.

start over. do not install from the 2004.3 CD.

Make that another big blue warning to testers on the front page?

Also, when do we deem the tarballs more suitable for wider testing?

I'll try to do a install on my P3 thinkpad again in 1-2 days.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by 96140 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. do not modify the tarballs in any way. just install them and test them. modifying Jackass tarballs is something that the designers need to address, not the end users.

2. do not install from anything but a 2005.0 CD and follow ryan's directions.

3. please test the pentium tarballs to try to replicate the existing problems before testing anything else.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by 96140 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
1. do not modify the tarballs in any way. just install them and test them. modifying Jackass tarballs is something that the designers need to address, not the end users.

2. do not install from anything but a 2005.0 CD and follow ryan's directions.

3. please test the pentium tarballs to try to replicate the existing problems before testing anything else.
Yes, please follow these directions. I understand that you want to do your own install, with your own make.conf settings, and do it your way. However, you have to look at it from the perspective of what we are trying to do here. When we are testing these tarballs, it is important that everybody tests them using the settings as they are, the same installation procedure, and the same installation media. If each tester is testing the tarballs in their own way, then any information we get from your test is pretty much useless. If you go and install the tarball, change the cflags, rebuild the toolkit, leave the computer with a trained monkey to do your install :wink: , then come back to me saying "Ryan, your Pentium 3 tarball has a bug in it, whenever I boot it says, 'Buy me some bannanas B!tch'", how am I supposed to know if that error is something I built into the tarball, or a product of your own installation procedure. I know I told you using the Jackass tarball as a base system and then rebuilding is possible, but it is not what we mean when we say we want you to test the tarball. So, some ground rules:

1. Install using the 2005.0 live-cd

2. Follow the Gentoo Installation Handbook up until chapter 5.

3. Use the jackass stage in section 5.a as opposed to a regular stage 3 tarball. Then move onto 5.d installilng portage. I have fresh portage snapshots on the server, which will include one from today later on.

4. Pretend section 5.e was never written, it doesn't exist.

5. Continue on to chrooting.

6. Prentend the section on configuring the use variable in chapter 6 also does not exist, for now.

7. Don't edit /etc/locales.build at this point, this is also in chapter 6.

8. Skip to section 7, configuring your kernel. At this point, I'm not sure whether to tell everybody to manually compile a kernel for this test, or use genkernel. I like the idea of using genkernel for consistency, however I've found you can't always trust genkernel to do what you want. So, what I've decided is, for testing purposes we will use gentoo-sources (which is now a 2.6 kernel :wink: ) and configure it using all the required options that apply in section 7.c. If you add anything beyond that in your kernel configuration, I want to know about it.

9. Finish up the installation handbook as per the rest of the guide.

10. Reboot and report here.

After this, we will want to test it out further by compiling and running packages for a week or so, and see if anything breaks. But for now just report here after finishing the install, and we'll decide where to go from there. Just so everybody knows, I'll be leaving this afternoon, and returning Sunday afternoon (all times and music eastern), so I won't be able to fix anything during that time. I'll still be on the forum though, so I'll still be involved in the project over this time period. I'll try to tidy up the server before I leave, and I'll start the computer on the process of rebuilding the pentium tar from scratch, so by the time I come back on Sunday, it will hopefully be finished with no errors, and I can post it on the server that afternoon. An update on the file hosting situation, I'll be taking advantage of my universities lax acceptable use policy and hosting the ISO's for the initial distribution. I guess we'll see what happens, but hopefully everything will go off without a hitch. At this point I'd also like to remind everybody that one of our main concerns is preserving the integrity of this project, so to that end nobody but Bob P can make the decision to release the stages or any files that are at this moment on the project server to anyone outside of the project. At this point I've only given access to a select few who are helping with the testing and development of the Jackass stages, you know who you are. Anybody outside of that shouldn't get their hands on these things until we've finished testing them, we don't want this whole project to go off half cocked. That includes your friend with the fileserver Jeremy, and your friend who is installing gentoo nightmorph. Even I promise not to release the tarballs to anyone without Bob P first accepting them into the project or posting the Jackass release notice on the forums. Good, :) , now that that's out of the way you guys can get back to testing, and I can go to class. :(

Last edited by Sith_Happens on Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:29 pm; edited 5 times in total
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
APRIL FOOL's JOKE?

[code]

>>> Starting retry 1 of 3 with rsync://128.213.5.35/gentoo-portage
>>> checking server timestamp ...
____ ___ _____ __ __ ____ ____
| _ \|_ _|_ _| | \/ | _ \ / ___|
| |_) || | | |_____| |\/| | |_) | |
| _ < | | | |_____| | | | _ <| |___
|_| \_\___| |_| |_| |_|_| \_\\____|
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Rochester Institute of Technology MacGyver Reenactment Club's MS-DOS
mirror. Next Performance: Season 1 Episode 18 on April 6th.

THats funny i went to RIT and now i'm living in Northern California
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:

After this, we will want to test it out further by compiling and running packages for a week or so, and see if anything breaks. But for now just report here after finishing the install, and we'll decide where to go from there. J
Hey man last night after emerging Gnome, and Firefox The only problem i had was with HOWl, and unfortunatlyi hadn't emerged gpm yet so sorry no error message. emergine it with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~86" made howl build just fine"
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obsidianblackhawk wrote:
Sith_Happens wrote:

After this, we will want to test it out further by compiling and running packages for a week or so, and see if anything breaks. But for now just report here after finishing the install, and we'll decide where to go from there. J
Hey man last night after emerging Gnome, and Firefox The only problem i had was with HOWl, and unfortunatlyi hadn't emerged gpm yet so sorry no error message. emergine it with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~86" made howl build just fine"
What error did you get? There is an unmasked version of HOWL in portage, and it has no ~x86 dependencies. I doubt this is a Jackass problem but I should probably follow up on it just the same.
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
obsidianblackhawk wrote:
Sith_Happens wrote:

What error did you get? There is an unmasked version of HOWL in portage, and it has no ~x86 dependencies. I doubt this is a Jackass problem but I should probably follow up on it just the same.
unfortunatly I don't remember. So tonight i'm going to nuke my machine and start over and hopefully be able to recreate this problem. BUt so far everything else has been completly flawless
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obsidianblackhawk wrote:
Sith_Happens wrote:
obsidianblackhawk wrote:
Sith_Happens wrote:

unfortunatly I don't remember. So tonight i'm going to nuke my machine and start over and hopefully be able to recreate this problem. BUt so far everything else has been completly flawless
Allright, be sure to follow the steps I outlined above exactly, let's make this a good test. I'm not so concerned about your howl problem, since I'm fairly sure it doesn't have to do with a problem in the stage. So just do the install as per the steps above, and see if everything works. A thought on the pentium problem, the x86 stage 3 tarballs, for some reason I can't understand, use the cflag -march=i686 along with a CHOST of i386, go figure. Perhaps something, though I can't imagine what, wasn't recompiled with -march=pentium when I did emerge -e system. I'll do emerge -e world this time, and see what other packages it compiles.
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
So just do the install as per the steps above, and see if everything works. A thought on the pentium problem, the x86 stage 3 tarballs, for some reason I can't understand, use the cflag -march=i686 along with a CHOST of i386, go figure. Perhaps something, though I can't imagine what, wasn't recompiled with -march=pentium when I did emerge -e system. I'll do emerge -e world this time, and see what other packages it compiles.
Cool beans man. If i get another completely sucessfull install tonight then i will continue on with testing other packages.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obsidianblackhawk wrote:
Sith_Happens wrote:
So just do the install as per the steps above, and see if everything works. A thought on the pentium problem, the x86 stage 3 tarballs, for some reason I can't understand, use the cflag -march=i686 along with a CHOST of i386, go figure. Perhaps something, though I can't imagine what, wasn't recompiled with -march=pentium when I did emerge -e system. I'll do emerge -e world this time, and see what other packages it compiles.
Cool beans man. If i get another completely sucessfull install tonight then i will continue on with testing other packages.
Thanks much, your willingness to help test these tarballs is greatly aprecciated. I know I'm sounding like a broken record here, but please follow the steps I outlined in the previous post, I can't say it enough, the entire testing process depends on consistency. Also, I've set up ssh to allow me to administer the server in case anything bad happens while I'm away, so you all can sleep soundly this weekend. :wink:
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blanked Sucka. 8)

Last edited by Sith_Happens on Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:08 am; edited 2 times in total
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
[removed]

And a Happy April Fool's Day to all testers of Project Jackass!!!

:)

Last edited by kimchi_sg on Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:

Isn't it April 2nd over in Singapore?

Last edited by Sith_Happens on Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
Thanks much, your willingness to help test these tarballs is greatly aprecciated. I know I'm sounding like a broken record here, but please follow the steps I outlined in the previous post, I can't say it enough, the entire testing process depends on consistency. Also, I've set up ssh to allow me to administer the server in case anything bad happens while I'm away, so you all can sleep soundly this weekend. :wink:
Dude no problem. I just realized that i have a spare 40G harddrive at home that i can be installing to, and not have to f-up my whole system to be doing this testing :D So, i'm going to leave running the install that i've already done, so i have a pc to use :wink: and put that other drive in to test with. That should work fine right so long as while i'm setting up the other drive i boot from the 2005.0 live cd instead of my pc right?
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
kimchi_sg wrote:
Sith_Happens wrote:
[removed]

Isn't it April 2nd over in Singapore?

You're correct there. But it's still April 1st 1708hrs GMT. :twisted:

Last edited by kimchi_sg on Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obsidianblackhawk wrote:
Sith_Happens wrote:
Dude no problem. I just realized that i have a spare 40G harddrive at home that i can be installing to, and not have to f-up my whole system to be doing this testing :D So, i'm going to leave running the install that i've already done, so i have a pc to use :wink: and put that other drive in to test with. That should work fine right so long as while i'm setting up the other drive i boot from the 2005.0 live cd instead of my pc right?
Yep. You can use your existing grub installation and boot partition as well, just install a new kernel to your boot partition, and add a grub entry for it. Also, don't mount your boot partition until after you've untarred the jackass tarball.
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
Yep. You can use your existing grub installation and boot partition as well, just install a new kernel to your boot partition, and add a grub entry for it. Also, don't mount your boot partition until after you've untarred the jackass tarball.

:) Thank God. I was getting tired of wiping my system clean everytime. Ya know what i mean :)
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obsidianblackhawk wrote:
Sith_Happens wrote:

:) Thank God. I was getting tired of wiping my system clean everytime. Ya know what i mean :)
I do know what you mean. :wink: Again you help and adherence to the testing guidlines are much appreciated.
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Ryan. Just so I know that I have this correct: My main drive in My PC is my 80G sata. SO what i will do is use the grub and boot partition on my sata, and just put the install on the 40G ide. There is no need for grub or a boot partition on the ide right?
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obsidianblackhawk wrote:
Okay Ryan. Just so I know that I have this correct: My main drive in My PC is my 80G sata. SO what i will do is use the grub and boot partition on my sata, and just put the install on the 40G ide. There is no need for grub or a boot partition on the ide right?
Right. Remember that ide drives are /dev/hd* and ide drives are /dev/sd*, however their grub designations are all (hd , ). After you install your hard drive, you might want to boot up with grub, drop to the command line, and type root then tab to show all the block devices connected to your system.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
A thought on the pentium problem, the x86 stage 3 tarballs, for some reason I can't understand, use the cflag -march=i686 along with a CHOST of i386, go figure. Perhaps something, though I can't imagine what, wasn't recompiled with -march=pentium when I did emerge -e system.

do you mean that the original gentoo 2005.0 x86 tarball is compiled with march=i686 and CHOST=386. :?: :!: :?:

if so, i can understand the x86 tarball using the 386 chost, as its a retro-compatible tarball for everything x86, but march=i686 makes no sense. i would not think that there should be any problems compiling it using the settings we had discussed in make.conf.jackass.pentium.

regardless of how the original tarballs are configured, i've rebuilt LOTS of pentium systems using the 2004.3 tarballs and the 586 chost and march=pentium settings in the STage 1/3 guide. the systems should end up without problems...

my suspictions are that either 1. an error crept into the jackass tarball for pentium, or 2. something is amiss in the gentoo 2005.0 x86 tarball.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 16 of 30

Jump to: