Application for online page editing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Application for online page editing Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'd like to know if someone knows about some software that allows one to edit a bunch of XHTML/PHP pages online. A PHP (for example) application that you install on the server and then you can edit your pages at public_html from a browser.

A nice online editor with basic syntax highlighting and indenting would be nice.

Is there anything like this?

Cheers,

Paulo Matos
geoaxis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: there are ..check freshmeat.net Reply with quote

There are projects which have on site editors. I know one is used in TikiWiki CMS. But they are of very limited functonality. You may wana check freshmeat.net as this will probably be not in portage (i mean the small componenet used in tikiwiki)
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what your needs are. If you want to allow a whole lot of people to edit pages then a Wiki is a great idea. If you want more restrictions then some blog software might be what you want. There is also the Zope (and Zope/Plone) that allows people to edit pages and can give you a lot of control over who gets to do what where (but it can be a pain to set up).

Editing pages via a web interface is always going to suck compared to using a real editor. If it was for myself, I would set things up with sshd running on the web server and then use Gvim (or your editor of choice) to edit the files remotely via scp.
Gvim :help scp wrote:

For rcp, scp, sftp, and http, one may use network-oriented file transfers
transparently; ie.

vim rcp://[user@]machine/path
vim scp://[user@]machine/path

Another locally based solution is to keep a copy of the pages on your local machine and use a program like aap (emerge -s aap) to semi-automatically update changes to the server. The nice thing about this is that it gives you a chance to preview things locally and clean your dirty laundry in private before showing it to all the world.

Distributed, collaborative content management is not yet a totally solved problem, especially in the free and open source software world. The choice of the best solution for your needs will depend heavily upon the details of what you want to do and who you want to be able to do what.
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BitJam wrote:

Gvim :help scp wrote:

For rcp, scp, sftp, and http, one may use network-oriented file transfers
transparently; ie.

vim rcp://[user@]machine/path
vim scp://[user@]machine/path

Thanks... that's the nice solution for me... Didn't know I could do that through vim but then I searched a way to do it via emacs since I don't use vim and tramp is the way to go (emerge tramp).

:)
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: "vim scp://[user@]machine/path" just works. In order to get the same thing to work with gvim I had to emerge x11-ssh-askpass.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: