How to Bootstap Gentoo 2005.0 & GCC 3.4.3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
houmie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: How to Bootstap Gentoo 2005.0 & GCC 3.4.3 Reply with quote

Hi There,

I was working all day to make this work,

It stops with the error message:

Code:

!!! econf failed
configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
    If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
    checking for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c
    checking whether build environment is sane... yes
    checking for gawk... gawk
    checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
    checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-strip... no
    checking for strip... strip
    checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
    checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... no
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
    See `config.log' for more details.! Please attach the config.log to your bug report:! /var/tmp/portage/texinfo-4.8/work/texinfo-4.8/config.log! ERROR: sys-apps/texinfo-4.8 failed.! Function econf, Line 485, Exitcode 0! econf failed
    bash: configure:: command not found

I used the ~x86 to accept the experimental GCC 3.4.3 packages. Why do I get this error message?

Cheers
Houmie
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try installing Gentoo the regular way (i.e. not using ~arch) and then convert your system once it is installed.
geoaxis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Have you checked out this topic Reply with quote

Have you checked out this topic
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-314985-highlight-2005.html
8O
houmie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you checked out this topic Reply with quote

geoaxis wrote:
Have you checked out this topic
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-314985-highlight-2005.html
8O

Yes, I posted there first and had the impression it was the solution for my problem until I got flamed by Bob P. :roll:

f you are trying to bootstrap, then you are performing a Stage 1 install and you are not following this Guide! STOP posting here, delete your posts, and repost them in another thread.

if you are using this Guide, then STOP referring to it as Stage 1, as you are confusing everyone!

if by some chance you are not familiar with the difference between Stage 1 and Stage 3 installs, and you're not sure why your syntax is driving us crazy, this Guide is definitely not recommended for you.

Thats why I am starting a new thread. :)
houmie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sven Vermeulen wrote:
Try installing Gentoo the regular way (i.e. not using ~arch) and then convert your system once it is installed.

Hi Sven,

The problem is GCC 3.3.5 doesn't support pentium-m

Code:

CFLAGS="-march=pentium-m -mfpmath=sse -mmmx -msse -msse2 -O3 -pipe" 

BUT if I should choose a different CPU type close to what I have then wouldn't Stage 1 be useless in my case at all? I could go right away with Stage 2 and chage just the USE variables.

EDIT:

This is the main part of mt make.conf: Do you see any errors right away, which could have caused the problem?

Code:

USE="-3dfx -3dnow aim a52 aalib acpi X aac -altivec apache2 apm arts audiofile avi bash-completion bcmath bidi bmp -bluetooth cdb cdr crypt dga divx4linux doc dvb dvdr dvdread emul-linux-x86 encode esd fdftk ffmpeg flac flash ftp gif glut gphoto2 gpm gps gstreamer gtk gtk2 hal hardened hardenedphp imap ipv6 icc icc-pgo icq imagemagick jack java javascript jikes jpeg junit ladcca kdeenablefinal lcms libcaca lirc lm_sensors mad -matrox mcal mikmod mime mmx mng mp3 mpeg msn mysql mysqli nocd odbc ogg oggvorbis openal opengl oscar oss pcmcia pdflib php png pnp portaudio ppds prelude quicktime readline recode scanner snmp soap sockets spell spl sse ssl svg svga szip tiff tokenizer trusted usb v4l vcd videos -voodoo3 wifi wmf xine xml xml2 xmlrpc xmms xpm xprint xsl xv xvid yahoo zlib -alpha -amd64 -arm -hppa -ia64 -mips -ppc -ppc64 -ppc-macos -s390 -sh -sparc x86 -gnome qt kde dvd alsa"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=pentium-m -mfpmath=sse -mmmx -msse -msse2 -O3 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}

Cheers
Houmie

Last edited by houmie on Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, you didn't get flamed.

boostrapping ~arch has always been considered risky business, and people who know better choose to avoid it. Sven and I are in voilent agreement (i look tough :evil: ) that the best way to get an ~arch toolkit is to start with an arch toolkit and then rebuilt it yourself.

the reason that i asked you what i asked you in that thread was because you were confusing everyone -- you were bootstrapping and asking questions about bootstrapping in a thread that involves building on a Stage 3 tarball. :!: more than one person complained that your posts were confusing and that it wasn't clear to anyone what you were doing.

if you want to build an ~arch box while starting on an arch toolkit, you're welcome to rejoin that thread and receive our support. our only requirement is that you actually perform the installation using the method that is being discussed in the thread, so that you do not become confused, and so that you do not confuse everyone else.

one thing that it is important to keep in mind is that 2005.0 has only been out for about 24 hours. the official documentation is still having the finishing touches put on it, so it may be premature to try to perform a Stage 1 install on 2005.0 when the documentation still isn't finished. :idea:
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

houmie wrote:
The problem is GCC 3.3.5 doesn't support pentium-m

this problem is well documented in the forums.

your only choice if you have a GCC 3.3.5 toolkit is to use an arch specification that the compiler supports. use pentium3 or even pentium. you won't be able to specify pentium-m until you have upgraded to GCC 3.4.3.

the long and short of it is that you can't get there from here by bootstrapping. what you want to do presently requires a 2-step installation.
barry
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could run the bootstrap twice.

On the first bootstrap use -march=pentium3 and make sure gcc, gcc-config and libstdc++-v3 are marked as ~x86 in package.keywords. This will upgrade gcc to version 3.4. Then run the bootstrap a second time, and use -march=pentium-m (or whatever), and this will bootstrap the system with gcc-3.4.
houmie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't think the new documentation would solve my problem. Like I said before, as far as I understand Stage 1 and bootstraping is to set up Linux to the CPU and hardware architecture (with or without backward compatability).

Since pentium-m is not supported in GCC 3.3.5 the bootstraping is doomed to fail. But if I choose something just close enough to my hardware jsut to make it work, then I could have gone with Stage 2 in first place.

Unless there will be a guide how to implement and use GCC 3.4.3 in Stage 1. :D
houmie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barry wrote:

On the first bootstrap use -march=pentium3 and make sure gcc, gcc-config and libstdc++-v3 are marked as ~x86 in package.keywords. This will upgrade gcc to version 3.4. Then run the bootstrap a second time, and use -march=pentium-m (or whatever), and this will bootstrap the system with gcc-3.4.

Your idea sounds really good. Do you have a quick install guide for this idea? :lol:

Cheers
Houmie
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate Thread
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

houmie wrote:
barry wrote:

Your idea sounds really good. Do you have a quick install guide for this idea? :lol:

Cheers
Houmie

i get the impression that you really do not understand what bootstrapping is all about. bootstrapping is nothing more than a shell wrapper for a toolkit rebuild. yes there are install guides that already cover what you're trying to accomplish. although none of them are quick by any stretch of the imagination, they will take far less time than bootstrapping twice.
barry
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you have a quick install guide for this idea?

Shouldn't need one. Just follow the normal instructions, except before running the bootstrap.sh script, run

Code:
echo "sys-devel/gcc ~x86" >>/etc/portage/package.keywords
echo "sys-devel/gcc-config ~x86" >>/etc/portage/package.keywords
echo "sys-libs/libstdc++-v3 ~x86" >>/etc/portage/package.keywords

Then emerge gcc-config, and start the bootstrap. Run 'source /etc/profile' before restarting the second bootstrap, and modify /etc/make.conf to the -march you want.
barry
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bootstrap script builds gcc, binutils and glibc (plus a few more things, but these are quick to compile). Bootstrapping twice will take a while, mainly beacuse of glibc, but I think the install guides all rebuild these twice anyway.
houmie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Barry,

It sounds like a good solution to me (at least a solution) :)
I would like to make sure that I understood everything you said, since it takes a long time and messing it up is expensive.

1) Select pentium3 in make.conf
2) I follow the instructions until bootstrap.sh command
3) I enter these lines into package.keywords
Code:

echo "sys-devel/gcc ~x86" >>/etc/portage/package.keywords
echo "sys-devel/gcc-config ~x86" >>/etc/portage/package.keywords
echo "sys-libs/libstdc++-v3 ~x86" >>/etc/portage/package.keywords

//Whats about this line here? you forgot it on purpose?
Code:
echo "sys-libs/glibc ~x86" >>/etc/portage/package.keywords

4)
Code:
emerge --sync

5)
Code:
bootstrap.sh

6) Drink a tea

7)
Code:
source /etc/profile

8 ) modify /etc/make.conf to pentium-m

9)
Code:
bootstrap.sh

Do I miss a step here?

P.S. I tweaked the HD with HDParam (like unmasking and IOSupport 32Bit), but everytime I reboot Linux keeps forgetting the values. Is that normal?

Thanks
Houmie
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

houmie wrote:
P.S. I tweaked the HD with HDParam (like unmasking and IOSupport 32Bit), but everytime I reboot Linux keeps forgetting the values. Is that normal?

Yes.

Unless you add the hdparm service into the default (or boot if you prefer) runlevel, and edit the config file for the hdparm service in /etc/conf.d.
barry
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Whats about this line here? you forgot it on purpose?

As far as I know, gcc 3.4.3 works fine with the stable version of glibc and doesn't require the ~x86 marked one. I run with the stable glibc (it supports NPTL etc).
houmie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:
houmie wrote:

Yes.

Unless you add the hdparm service into the default (or boot if you prefer) runlevel, and edit the config file for the hdparm service in /etc/conf.d.

Great I'll give it a shot.

Thanks
Houmie
houmie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barry wrote:
Quote:
Whats about this line here? you forgot it on purpose?

As far as I know, gcc 3.4.3 works fine with the stable version of glibc and doesn't require the ~x86 marked one. I run with the stable glibc (it supports NPTL etc).

Excellent. Thanks mate. I'll give it a(nother) shot this evening. ;o)

Cheers
Houmie
epimenides
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Stage1 x86 gcc 3.4 Reply with quote

I would like to install gentoo 2005.0 x86 form stage1 with the pentium-m flage in gcc 3.4

Should I wait until gcc 3.4 gets included into the standard x86 stage1 tarball (days, weeks, months ???), or will 2005.0 x86 stage1 always remain without the gcc 3.4?

Thanks!
barry
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GCC 3.4 isn't in the 2005.0 stages, so you'll have to wait until at least 2005.1, which will be several months from now.
houmie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Stage1 x86 gcc 3.4 Reply with quote

epimenides wrote:
I would like to install gentoo 2005.0 x86 form stage1 with the pentium-m flage in gcc 3.4

Should I wait until gcc 3.4 gets included into the standard x86 stage1 tarball (days, weeks, months ???), or will 2005.0 x86 stage1 always remain without the gcc 3.4?

Thanks!

If I am succesfull I am going to make a Quickquide for noobs like us. ;o)

Regards
Houmie
epimenides
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Stage1 x86 gcc 3.4 Reply with quote

houmie wrote:
epimenides wrote:

Thanks!

If I am succesfull I am going to make a Quickquide for noobs like us. ;o)

Regards
Houmie

Please post the guide, or a link!
houmie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Stage1 x86 gcc 3.4 Reply with quote

epimenides wrote:

Please post the guide, or a link!

Sorry Dude, I tried it hard. But I couldn't pass even the first bootstrap. 2004.3 worked for me though.
I guess we have no choice but to wait for the first stable version of Gentoo. Until then I try to install the Stage 3 or go with a different Dist until Gentoo 2005 is released.

Houmie
HippieJoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed this thread to get my own system working. From what I can figure it was the exact same issue of the gcc version with Pentium M processors:

My system:
Gateway 200ARC w/Pentium M 1700

Was using gcc 3.3.5 off the complete Live CD 2005.0.

make.conf:
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium-m -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

With these settings I was getting the error about the CPU not being able to create executables. That is when I found this thread. Here are the exact steps I took to complete a stage1 install using gcc 3.4.3 - thus not loosing any performance advantages.

**My make.conf also includes: ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"** - This is dangerous, include at own risk.

-Follow manual to bootstrap phase:
-Set CFLAGS to include: -march=pentium3
-Type: /usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap.sh
-Type: gcc-config -l
-Select the gcc version I want (3.4.3): gcc-config 5
-Change CFLAGS to include: -march=pentium-m
-Type: env-update
-Type: source/etc/profile
-Type: /usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap.sh

This bootstraped successfully. However, I am still emerging the system but am a couple dozen packages into it with no problem.

This is nothing different from what was posted above, just all at once. And like stated above, bootstrapping take a while. Hope you have some time on your hands.

HippieJoe

Edit:
I had trouble on the emerge -e system - openssl kept erroring out on line 125 with exit code 1. I couldn't figure it out, but I am trying the above steps again minus the ~x86 in the make.conf.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: