2005.0 stage1: Error installing kernel modules
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moartel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: 2005.0 stage1: Error installing kernel modules Reply with quote

Code:

INSTALL net/ipv4/netfilter/iptable_raw.ko
if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map 2.6.11-gentoo-r4; fi
/bin/sh: line 1: /sbin/depmod: No such file or directory
make: *** [_modinst_post] Error 127

I don't understand what this means, but I got a strange error, when doing ls /usr/share/zoneinfo, it told me that the directory does not exist....

This occured trying a stage 1 (x86) install with gentoo-sources 2.6.11-r4.

make.conf:
Code:

CFLAGS="-pentium3 -pipe -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
USE="-qt -kde +gtk2 +gnome +dvd -dvdr +alsa +aac -arts +crypt +cups +divx4linux +ftp +icq +mp3 +socks5 +sse +usb +vcd"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
PORTAGE_NICENESS=3
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2005.0 stage1: Error installing kernel modules Reply with quote

Moartel wrote:
Code:

.../bin/sh: line 1: /sbin/depmod: No such file or directory

This means you skipped the "emerge system" step which must be done before compiling your kernel.

Moartel wrote:
I got a strange error, when doing ls /usr/share/zoneinfo, it told me that the directory does not exist....

The zoneinfo directory is created during bootstrap. It appears you have skipped this step too.
zoomie66
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Moartel wrote:
Code:

This means you skipped the "emerge system" step which must be done before compiling your kernel.

I got the same errors when compiling but I am positive I did not skip the step described. Although I used "emerge --emptytree system"
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zoomie66 wrote:
I got the same errors when compiling but I am positive I did not skip the step described. Although I used "emerge --emptytree system"

The command /sbin/depmod belongs to the package sys-apps/module-init-tools. This should be installed as part of the base system.

What does it say when you try this ?
Code:
# emerge -pv module-init-tools
zoomie66
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The command /sbin/depmod belongs to the package sys-apps/module-init-tools. This should be installed as part of the base system.

What does it say when you try this ?
Code:
# emerge -pv module-init-tools[

I get this:
Code:

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild  N   ] sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.0-r2  -debug 347kB

Total size of downloads: 347kB

I'm guessing this wasn't merged when I originally did the "emerge --emptytree system"...should I just emerge modules-init-tools, or the entire system again?

Despite the error during the kernel compile, I copied the kernel, system.map and .config to the boot partition per the instructions in the install handbook. And now I'm at the point during install, just after editing my /etc/fstab and network configuration, where I'm asked to change the root password. Now the system says "passwd" is "command not found" I guess that is related to my system not being emerged completely...sighs
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that something went wrong, and you are missing a bunch of the base system packages.

You should just be able to install the rest of them like this
Code:
# emerge system
zoomie66
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It seems that something went wrong, and you are missing a bunch of the base system packages.

You should just be able to install the rest of them like this

Code:
# emerge system

Yeah, I guess so. I just executed your suggestion and it said 53 packages needed to be installed. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if your suggestion was successful since I'm compiling this stuff on an ancient AMD K6-2/300mhz box
8O :roll:
zoomie66
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrillic,

Well after trying your suggestion of doing another "emerge system" I think everything is fine now. Fifty-three additional packages needed to be emerged, but halfway through the process, the system got hung up. So I did another"emerge system" and the remaining 20 packages were installed. After that, I recompiled the kernel and got no error messages.

Thanks for your help,
Zoomie
rkhenry
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also just got the "depmod: command not found" error. I did type "emerge --fetchonly --emptytree system", it's in my history, and also "emerge --emptytree system"

I wonder if this might be due to the error I got that the basesystem wasn't patched? (I'd need to go look at the log to get the exact error.)

Anyway I've just run "emerge system" and I'll see what that does.
Da_Big_G
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2005.0 stage1: Error installing kernel modules Reply with quote

cyrillic wrote:
Moartel wrote:
Code:

I was just doing an install going by the 2005.0 AMD64 docs (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2005.0/handbook-amd64.xml) and got the same problem. I knew I had missed a step (I've done a few dozen gentoo installs) but couldn't remember which - hey it was late.

Turns out the doc mentioned above is INCOMPLETE - it assumes you're doing a stage3 grp install. Don't use it as your only install guide - cross reference it to the x86 or quick install docs, especially if you're doing stage 1 or 2.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: