20%  [ 64 ]
... what are those? :p
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 305

pioto
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Grub or Lilo? Reply with quote

Hmm... I'm just curious... do more people use GRUB or LILO? Personally, I'm a LILO man myself [it's what I learned on]... Gimme opinions! Rants! Yay for divisive topics! 8)
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted something like this in OTW. Go check there if you want.
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[edit]

Why did it double post? Sorry about that :oops: ...

[/edit]

Last edited by codergeek42 on Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:31 am; edited 1 time in total
mixa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRUB. I started using it as soon as I got my hands on Gentoo 2004.0 :D
deathdruid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you use LILO if you could use GRUB? I have heard that there are certain systems on which GRUB doesn't work too well, but have not run into them myself. So for me, GRUB is the natural choice (I ran LILO from 1997-1999, GRUB ever since).

I shudder to think that I have to fix my bootloader every time I compile kernels....
Seph64
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used LILO and GRUB, but I must say that GRUB is the easiest loader to get running (IMO).
Fitzsimmons
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seph64 wrote:
I've used LILO and GRUB, but I must say that GRUB is the easiest loader to get running (IMO).

I find that LILO is much easier. In grub you have to make both a config and then run the grub shell/program thing to choose which harddrive and partition you want to install on. And this of course uses a different device naming scheme that I swear was made just to confuse newbies even more. And after I got the infanite GRUB error on my first install I just gave up and used LILO.
tihkal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grub out of choice.

But I'm just as happy with Lilo. As long as it works :-) Grub does stop me from forgetting to run lilo after editing /etc/lilo.conf and doing an extra reboot because I'm forgetful....
newbie_100
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use grub too...
its easier and just works...
and as deathdruid said, you dont have to "fix" grub when you upgrade your kernel...
Dr Gonzo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssjf wrote:
... I just gave up and used LILO ...

Quitters never win.

Grub is far superior. Please remember (go to grub.sf.net if you don't believe me) that GRUB is alpha software. They are going to change the device naming system in the near future to match with the POSIX stuff, so if that's your only beef, I think you should just be a little more patient. LILO is severely limited in its capabilities -- GRUB can be installed onto a floppy that can be used to boot any operating system you want. So, if you, for instance, screw up your MBR, you can just fix it all with a GRUB boot floppy. You can hide a Linux partition on any computer and boot it only with a floppy, while leaving Microsoft's boot loader present. For alpha software, I'd say it's pretty good compared to a bootloader that wouldn't, until recently, even boot an OS from a partition that was greater than something like 2 GB deep into the hard drive (LILO).

Read the GRUB documentation and then tell me how you feel.

George W. Bush
G-Style
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use LILO, since it's way easier to configure than GRUB, and at the time of my installing Gentoo I wanted a system running as soon as possible and I didn't want to go through all the trouble of having to understand GRUB. Maybe over the summer I'll make the switch but I'm happy with what I have right now.
BoZ
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use lilo because I've always used it... but after these replies I think I'm gonna try grub soon, just for fun.
MooktaKiNG
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grub is better. becuase it does NOT rely on an OS to keep working!!!!

All you need is a /boot partition. then a floppy. And grub.conf inside /boot/grub/grub.conf and thats ALL!!!!

I have a grub that i haven't integrated into an OS for 2 years now :D:D:D:D

/boot stays unmounted. Unless i want to edit the file. I have a floppy for one of those windows reinstalls, so that i can put grub back into mbr again. And thats it!!!!

I love it. I hate the fact that lilo requires you to have a working system for even doing making configuration.
fernandotcl
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Lilo because it is kept 100% in MBR. Also because it was the first one I tried, and used it in Mandrake. Finally, because it's syntax seem more natural to me.
MooktaKiNG
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems natural?

i don't think thats a good reason. Its like saying "i like windows because it seems more natural" :D:D:D

Basicly whatever you used first will be the natural to you. Everything else will seem unnatural :)
pioto
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: does no required os mean you can admin it from ANY os? Reply with quote

Hmm... one point that a lot of people are raising is that GRUB doesn't require you to have any running system in order to update it. That seems like a pretty nice feature to me. But a few things have kept me using LILO till now:
  1. LILO has the /sbin/lilo -R <image_name> command to let you select an image automatically for next boot. Does something comparable exist for GRUB?
  2. LILO lets you have pretty bitmap bootloader screens... :P
  3. GRUB's partition naming scheme makes NO SENSE to me... completely counterintuitive... and while it is allegedly going to change in the future, it hasn't changed now!
Additionally, I wonder: If GRUB is non-os specific (correct me if I'm wrong about that), is it possible to administer it from within a running Windows system? [I know you can just reboot and config it from the GRUB prompt on boot... but I mean like when you run the grub command in Linux...] Please feel free to point out where my GRUB perceptions are wrong.
fernandotcl
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MooktaKiNG wrote:
i don't think thats a good reason. Its like saying "i like windows because it seems more natural" :D:D:D

Nowadays Windows seems no longer natural for me. Gnome does. :D

MooktaKiNG wrote:
Basicly whatever you used first will be the natural to you. Everything else will seem unnatural :)

Well, it's not a rule of thumb. For example, what about people from the older UNIXes? They used csh, twm and such things. Now I think Gnome and bash seem much more natural. The same can be applied to Windows and any other interface you use today. :D

By natural I mean I'm used to think hda1 is my first partition. That is, hd(0,0) (or something like that, I don't remeber :wink:) is not the "Linux way".
MooktaKiNG
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, bitmap and the reboot with a certain OS already chosen is a nice feature. I admit.

However, stuff like weird partition naming is very easiy to learn.

However, i may have bootsplash and other eye candy on my laptop :):):)
but, practicality is my main priority. i don't mind not having bitmap :)

If you can edit an ext2/ex3 or whatever partition you use for /boot, then you can configure it in windows :D:D:D

What is the 'Linux way'?

it doesn't bother me the least that they use 0 as starting point. or the weird hd(0,0). I don't mind. As long as its consistent.

I believe in terms of practicality grub out weigh's lilo.

even though i've never actually bothered to install lilo, i believe the configuring both of these bootloaders are the same. Each one has its own little differences but mainly they are the same.
modal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaboot= 15" 1.25Ghz PB
grub=1900+ AMD
uglyb0b
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love GRUB. It's just so simple to compile a kernel, then just reboot. I can;t count the times I've been using lilo and had boot errors because I was so used to running grub and not having to do /sbin/lilo.

Linux geek and Mac whore.
deathdruid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: does no required os mean you can admin it from ANY os? Reply with quote

pioto wrote:
Hmm... one point that a lot of people are raising is that GRUB doesn't require you to have any running system in order to update it. That seems like a pretty nice feature to me. But a few things have kept me using LILO till now:
  1. LILO has the /sbin/lilo -R <image_name> command to let you select an image automatically for next boot. Does something comparable exist for GRUB?

Do not think so, but the beauty of grub is that you can boot a kernel that is not even in your config file. Try that with LILO sometime :P

Quote:

• LILO lets you have pretty bitmap bootloader screens... :P

• Sure.

Quote:

• GRUB's partition naming scheme makes NO SENSE to me... completely counterintuitive... and while it is allegedly going to change in the future, it hasn't changed now!Additionally, I wonder: If GRUB is non-os specific (correct me if I'm wrong about that), is it possible to administer it from within a running Windows system? [I know you can just reboot and config it from the GRUB prompt on boot... but I mean like when you run the grub command in Linux...] Please feel free to point out where my GRUB perceptions are wrong.

• Hmm, not really if your /boot is a Linux fs type. I presume both LILO and GRUB could handle a FAT /boot, but I have not tried it. Then you could config either one from Windows. On the other hand, like you mention, grub lets you do pretty much anything from its boot-time command line, short of the first time install into MBR.

Trust me, I may sound like a GRUB fanboy now, but it does not mean I have not experienced LILO.

ANother cool advantage of GRUb that is not mentioned too often: if you use the Windows NT bootloader to load GRUB/LILO in a dual boot system, you have to create a Linux boot image every time you have a new kernel and run LILO. With GRUB, the boot image never changes, so you never have to mess with boot image creation again. If you have no idea what I am talking about, check out this nice HOWTO. I used to do that back when I was not completely Windows free.
    Coign
    n00b
    n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use grub if I could get it installed. It is returning an aclocal error when I try to emerge it. See this thread if you think you can figure that out.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=161617

If I can not figure out how to get GRUB installed by tomorrow evening I will be using LILO because God hates me.
    <ph1zzle> I wonder what they taste like
    mollmerx
    n00b
    n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a dual boot system with windows. When installing Gentoo I just went for LILO because it is what I know from when I used to use Debian. I have a USB keyboard that works fine in Linux, Windows and the BIOS. However, LILO isn't interested in the keyboard, so I have an old Keyboard lying beside my system permenantly, in case I want to boot WinXP.

How can I solve this problem? Is Grub any better?

Thanks,
    mollmerx
    jjasghar
    Guru
    Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've personally fallen in love with grub. it's so simple and streamlined. not to meantion you don't have the /sbin/lilo in a kernel install.

grub grub grub is my bud bud bud.

heh funny ain't i? :P
    #include <LinuxUser #324070>
    main()
    {
    printf("and i'm sorry my spellign sucs.");
    }
    get sirius
    Guru
    Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was going to post a "grub grub grub" but noticed that the poster before me beat me to it. Dang! jjasghar said it perfectly. :)
    Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
    Page 1 of 4

Jump to: